Brittle Diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ojai, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ojai

Ojai New Member

Hi I am new to the group. Zeke was diagnosed two years ago after a severe bout of pancreatitis. He was on Prozinc for about a year went into remission for about 9 months and last August back to insulin injections - very hard to control. I am getting really discouraged but am happy to have found this site and hopefully will find some good suggestions

2. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Welcome Ojai, sorry to hear that Zeke is back on insulin.
    You've landed in a good place and will find all kinds of information and suggestions.
    The people here are more than willing to answer any questions you have and help in any way they can. It's a wonderful group.
    Please don't be discouraged.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hello Ojai :bighug:, and welcome! We're glad you found us. My cat Dottie is on ProZinc too. There's a special sub-forum on the board just for PZI and ProZinc users, so I know I will be seeing you there, too.

Brittle diabetics are a challenge but if you've managed his BG so far, you are doing something right. You're a good CatGuardian. :cat:Do you wish to be called Ojai?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    Tghe spreadsheet allows other here to see what is going on so we can make suggestions.
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some additional assessments which may help you evaluate how your cat is doing.

6. Ojai

Ojai New Member

Hi my name is Debbie.
    Zeke is now on Humilin-N. I was told that Prozinc is no longer being made. This last week his numbers have ranged from too low to measure to 461. He is hungry constantly, follows me around meowing. He is on canned Hills w/d and eats 1/2 can in the morning and again at night. I am doing a BG Curve today and then will going to the doctor for help.

7. Ojai

Ojai New Member

Thank you will do

8. Ojai

Ojai New Member

Thank you I will look into the spreadsheet.

9. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything about Prozinc not being made. I'm not an expert on HumilinN, but I think it drops them fast and wears off fast, not lasting a full 12 hours. That might explain his drop from low to high. There are human insulins (Lantus and Levemir) that are long lasting. Many members use them successfully, but some vets are not familiar with the insulins that are not made specifically for pets. If you are not in the US you might have more problems getting human insulin.

By the way, my name is Debby and my first diabetic cat way back in the 1980s was named Zeke!

10. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

I am currently using ProZinc and it is being compounded by Wedgewood pharmacy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Ojai

Ojai New Member

Hi Debby's
    What a coincidence with the names. He had been on Lantus but it was dropping him too low. I will have to look into the Prozinc again because it worked for him before. Thank you

12. Ojai

Ojai New Member

I am going to check into the Prozinc again - never thought of getting it compounded. Thank you

13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Ojai

Ojai New Member

15. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Wedgewood Pharmacy is online. They have a homepage.

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/

16. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I know you can still get it from 1800 pet meds as well as some other online pet med suppliers.

17. Ojai

Ojai New Member

Great! Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.