Bromi is newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jcaits, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcaits

Jcaits New Member

My 9 yo male Bromi was just diagnosed yesterday. So far he has been prescribed 0.5 units of insulin Glargine and the diabetic kitty diet. He ate the samples of the Purina Pro Plan great and the Hills sample tonight not so great but enough I think he just did not like the Hills taste as much. I have to bring him back next week for more tests and I'm still trying to understand how the numbers work. The vet told me the normal range was between 3 and 7 and yesterday when he was tested he was 23.

Hes a large cat in height and length and was 20.9lbs yesterday. We are working on getting his weight down, but I'm really getting confused on portions for a bigger cat. Because his insulin dose is so little, I'm not even sure how to tell I'm actually getting it in properly which the diabetic consultant did forewarn me about.

He has diabetic neuropathy and his back legs are a bit wobbly amd he is walking on his hocks. The vet wants him to be more active but I'm worried he might hurt himself. I've been trying to lure him around on walks around the apartment because his legs do seem to be more stable the more he goes.

He's been his normal snuggly lovebug self, but does seem a little subdued but I think that might be still some stress from being at the vet yesterday amd having some new foods in his stomach. He has always been a Fancy Feast eater so I think I will get him back to his normal food, but I'm wondering if I can or should give him the vet prescribed food for one meal and a grocery store food like Fancy Feast. I did leave dry graze food out while I was at work prior to our scare yesterday because I work shift work and my hours can vary a lot. I did get some diabetic dry food from the vet, but all the literature they gave me says no dry at all.

We go back next week for a recheck and I don't know what questions I should be asking. They told me not to get it a glucose meter until I'm comfortable with everything, but so far everything I've read seems to suggest checking sugars at home as soon as possible is the best way to go.

I'm just so overwhelmed right now and feel completely lost and dumb for not understanding everything.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Bromi.:)
    You will feel overwhelmed at first but that is completely normal. We all felt like that in the beginning.
    Your vet has picked a very good insulin in Lantus. Don't worry about the dose being small....far better to Start Low and build up slowly. Much safer for Bromi. We recommend you increase in 1/4 unit (0.25unit) increments, this way you will not go past the best dose of insulin for Bromi.

I would recommend you go out and buy a glucose meter today and start testing Bromi's blood sugars. It is the only way to keep him safe from hypos and it will also tell you how the insulin is working in his body. It won't hurt Bromi and you will learn to do it in a few days....maybe sooner. Here is a link to how to test.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

There is no need to feed expensive prescription foods. As long as the food is wet/canned and low carb...10% or under....it is suitable. Dry food is not suitable at all. Fancy Feast pate canned foods are suitable.
    I will give you this link which will give you info about suitable food lists, diabetic neuropathy and much more. Scroll down and read it all. Knowledge is power for feline diabetes.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/

Am not sure where you live but if you are in the US you can get a suitable human glucose meter called the ReliOn which a lot of people use. There is no need to buy the more expensive pet meter....the test strips are very expensive compared to the human meter test strips. You will also need some extra test strips and a box of lancets size 26-28 and some cotton balls to hold behind the ear when you test. And buy yourself some chocolates as well:)

His neuropathy will get better when his blood sugars return to more normal numbers. You can give Zobaline which is for cats and is methyl B 12 tablets which help with the neuropathy. Just google Zobaline.

You might like to have a look at some autofeeders as they are very useful if you have to leave for extended times and you can set the timer for Bromi to get some food when you want him to have it. We suggest feeding several times a day, not just before the insulin shots. I used to divide the food up into 4 or 6 meals a day and give it at shot time then at +3 and +5.... that is 3 and 5 hours after the shot. Others gave at other times but usually in the first half of the cycle or thereabouts.
    Ask lots of questions. It is a steep learning curve in the beginning and we are only too happy to help.
    Bron

3. Jcaits

Jcaits New Member

I'm researching meters right now. The consultant said I could use a human meter but that there could be a small room for an error in the reading, like 0.1 off on the sugar value.

It's good to know that grocery store food still suitable because I did fell a little pressured to do the prescription food, which is a reallu hefty pricetag. The Hills food he had last night he ate but was so fussy much earlier this morning than normal for breakfast. I put about 20 kibbles of the dry food they provided down on the floor to chase like a treat and that calmed him down. My non diabetic cat is very unhappy that her food isnt down for whenever she wants a nibble so I have been chasing her around to try and eat whenever possible. I've tried to give her a bit of the diabetic food but that was a hard no, but she will eat the fancy feast.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jcaits, I just wanted to chime in and support the information that Bron provided. You do not need the Hill's food, we brought that home from the vet's also on the dx day. Idjit did not like the canned food at all, and although he would eat the dry, as soon as I found this board and discovered it was too high in carbs, both the bag and cans went back to the vet for refund. Idjit eats FF classics, and Friskies pates. I do limit the fish flavors, although those are his favorites. A change in diet really affected Idjit's BG levels, and since you are already injecting insulin, you really need to be testing and tracking those blood sugar levels to make sure it's safe to shoot and to prevent a hypo.
    I agree that it is confusing, and overwhelming at first, so just take the steps you need right now. Change the diet slowly, learn to test, learn about the insulin, forgive yourself for not being all knowing and all seeing about your kitty :bighug: . When you get the chance, do read and print out the Hypo instructions and have your hypo tool kit together and accessible. I hope you never need it, but if you do, you will be prepared. You have a huge support group here, we all started out the same way, and we can help. :cat:

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.