Bruised ears

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rascalsmom3, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rascalsmom3

Rascalsmom3 Member

I have tried everything to test our cats blood glucose. He moves around and scratches me so much. He has bruises in his ear and I’m near tears, wondering if I’m doing the right thing for him by doing this. Any advice?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You must have accidentally hit the vein. You want to aim for the sweet spot. You can put a little neosporin ointment with pain relief on the ears. CF7367DF-16B5-4284-82F1-00AF2D2929BB.jpeg

3. Rascalsmom3

Rascalsmom3 Member

Thank you so much! I must have misunderstood the vet. I thought I was supposed to aim for the vein . Do you do the inside of ear or outside?

4. JanetNJ

You can do either side. Some vets think you're supposed to hit the vein... Mine did. Hitting the vein makes it bleed more than you need, causes bruising, and hurts more.

5. JanetNJ

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Either inside or outside is fine. I always used inside but that was more because of the black fur that makes blood almost impossible to see! :)

This forum is for technical support i.e posting issues etc. so if you have more testing/other health questions or need more assistance I suggest you post in the HEALTH forum to get more eyes on your post. ;)

7. Rascalsmom3

Rascalsmom3 Member

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate the help!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. Doug Cornelius

Doug Cornelius New Member

OMG .. I thought I was supposed to be aiming for the vein as well.. THANK YOU SOOOOOO oooo much. Will definately try this tonight, as this morning I got frustrated as she has sensitive/tickle ears.

9. JanetNJ

Aim for the sweet spot. CF691152-BC55-430A-BC18-C4A87B83A880.jpeg

10. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

two things I learned.. Putting some rice inside a sock and holding it to the ear for a few seconds bring blood to that spot easily and protects your finger from the lacet. Secondly. The more you do it the easier that spot seems to be to bleed. I try not to hit a vein and move around the ears and switch sides especially when i am taking a curve that entails 6 - 7 pokes that day, more if I miss or not get enough blood and have to use another test strip. Simba gets grumpy if I miss more than once and lets me know in no uncertain terms. Hope that helps.

SuziB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.