Bruising At Scruff of Neck..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ToddyTiger, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I went to give Todd some sub-Q fluids and as I put the needle in, he kind of shivered/flinched. So I pulled the needle out and took a look. I was told to do the fluids in the scruff (between the shoulder blades) So that is where I have been doing it. But I noticed that he has what looks like bruising or something. At first I thought, omg I hit a vein and now he is bleeding horribly under the skin. But there was no blood when I pulled the needle out. So I assume this is just from giving the sub q everyday and I just didn't see it before. Although yesterday when I gave him fluids, there was some blood when I pulled the needle out. So I may have hit a vein yesterday and not realized it until I was done. Should I be worried?... I want to give him fluids, but I would hate to stick the needle back in there with a big old bruise.

He seems blah again today, so I figured fluids would help a lot. Plus, it's suppose to get back into the 80's today and the 90's all weekend. I don't want him to get dehydrated.

Should I just do it and try to get as far away from the bruise as I can?..

I already gave him some Bupe a few minutes ago, so that might help with any pain I may have just caused, as well as any pain it may cause if I try to give him fluids again later.

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Do you warm the fluids up in luke warm water or with a heating pad before giving them? What size needle are you using? There is a delicate balance between larger needle so fluids go quicker, vs smaller needle giving more comfort but slower fluid drip. Also, try rotating the stick sight a bit each time. They can build up scar tissue if the same site is used over and over. Usually you can give fluids anywhere to either side of the spine as long as the fluid pouch doesn't end up migrating down a leg or anything.

3. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

I warm it in a bowl of water for a few minutes. They don't get super warm that way though.

the baggy the needles came in say 18 ga x 1" They are pretty big to me and the fluids get in him within a minute or so.

I am going to try to rotate more. I thought I was doing a good job, but I guess not. :( Poor guy.

Is it bad if it goes down a leg? IF (because sometimes he sucks up the fluids pretty fast) the pouch sticks around for a few hours, it usually goes towards his left front leg. Not down it, just right at the top in a little pouch.

4. Kelly & Oscar

It can sometimes give some discomfort when it gets to the leg. Try giving the fluids a little further back on the scruff and see if that helps. I know a lot of people swear by the 21ga turimo needles. They have a larger diameter on the inside, but still smaller gauge so they flow like a 18 or 20 gauge, so I am told. Let me see if I can hunt down a link for you. I only used fluids for a few weeks with our foster kitty, but I had a lot of coaching from people on here during the process!

5. Kelly & Oscar

6. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

Thank you so very much! I will check that out right now.

I am also waiting to hear back from our vet. Todd has been sick since early July, and I just don't know how long a cat with this illness will be sick. This seems like an awfully long time to be sick with Pancreatitis (although he JUST got the correct treatment last week) I feel like I am doing everything wrong though. a couple of good days, followed by a couple of bad days and so on. :(

7. ToddyTiger

ToddyTiger Member

The vet office said I shouldn't go smaller on the needle. I should just move it around more.. "You can put it anywhere there is loose skin around the shoulder blades" So.. *shrug* he needs some fluids right now, so I'm going to try again. I hope I don't hurt him. :(

8. Kelly & Oscar

You won't hurt him. No matter the needle size (18 vs 21ga) he will feel the stick of the needle initially.

Did your vet tell you why to not use a smaller needle?

9. Kelly & Oscar

Here is a link to sub-q therapy on the feline crf website: http://www.felinecrf.com/managb.htm

Under tip #7 they talk about the pros and cons to using larger vs. smaller needles, so it can be done if you feel he will tolerate a smaller needle better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.