Bubba Puking Brown liquid.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bobbie And Bubba, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Just started today. So far he’s eating. Big poop in LB yesterday. Any ideas?

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Sorry, Bobbie, no ideas here...sending vines to Bubba to recover quickly:bighug:
    Ducia threw up a few times recently , very atypical for her - hairballs mostly, also in brown liquid despite eating lighter colored foods.
    She recovered right away thou, so I think it was something wrong with the food.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  3. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

How much liquid and how often? Could he be trying to cough up a hairball?

AmandaE and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

There was a bit of a hair ball in one throw up along with a lot of grass. The brown color is alarming. His food today was yellow eggs. No sign of eggs in the throw up.

The first one was prior to eating breakfast. The second on was 2.5 hours after breakfast.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hoping it's just an upset tummy from the grass.

6. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Can you call the vet and get an opinion over the phone? My vet will do that and get a better idea if could be serious or not. Hope he feels better.

Maybe he got into something in the yard?

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines for Bubba. I hope you can figure it out. It may just be "one of those things"!

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

If it keeps happening, I would get concerned. A couple times within a few hours would suggest maybe something icky in the grass, etc. And that he's eating is a good sign as well.

But if your gut is telling you something looks wrong, I would call the vet as Julie suggested.

9. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers to you and sweet Bubba :bighug: Have you given him some SEB ??? Please keep us posted, Bobbie ❤️:bighug:

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Ha! I sure did as soon as I found the bigger puke with lots of grass in it. And I thought of you Beth! I made a ball and got it onto the roof of his mouth. That was 8:45 AM and so far no more vomits. He’s been inside since and grounded until I feel he AOK. And he ate his 12 noon meal.

11. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

When Nyx has a hair ball I find her bile is typically brown. Like - a yellowy brown. I thought the same as Liz and that Bubba might be trying to work up a hair ball. I'm glad to hear that it seems to be resolved :)

12. Bobbie And Bubba

This was brown , mud brown. Maybe he got some mud with his grass. It’s like a quagmire in our property.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I had an appointment today so had to leave him. I ask my SIL to not let him outside. She was “ don’t you want him outside if he’s puking? “. Me: “ No! “

How do you train someone to be a vigilant cat mom????I’ll keep everyone posted.

13. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hope Bubba is ok & he just got unlucky & managed to eat mud with his grass---thats not fun!

14. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

My first thought was he got into something outside. I hope that is all it is and it is out if his system (though I wouldn't be surprised if he had some nasty at the other end in the next day or so).

Feel better Bubbs:bighug::cat:

Beth 73 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  15. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo used to eat grass, even at the end when he was real sick, then barf it up within 4 hours. I think they are trying to "fix themselves" when they have nausea, by expelling whatever their body thinks is bad in their gut. We had to monitor Leo closely in the end to keep him from eating grass. It just made him worse. I hope this is what Bubba is doing. Easy to fix by keeping him from eating more grass.

16. Beth 73

Bobbie :joyful::D:eek: ....you know me and my SEB !!! Around here it's " gotta sore toe ? Take SEB !"..." ears a little warm ? Crank up that SEB !" Like you , I love the stuff !!! Helped my SIL the other night with their two kitties out in San Fran and now he is a SEB believer :bighug: Continued hugs and prayers to you and precious Bubbs :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Vines for poor little Bubba, hope his tummy feels better soon. :bighug:
    My experience is with dogs eating grass and puking, usually it's grass and yellow bile.
    Our vet told us they do that when they have an upset tummy, the grass helps them puke up the bad stuff. Our dogs always felt better afterwards.

18. Julie and Honey

Hope he is feeling better soon:cat: poor Bubba. Honey puked up a nice big hair ball yesterday and I stepped right in it.:eek:

Not sure I want to ask what is this SEB?

Beth 73 likes this.
  19. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

It does take a while for food to move from the stomach and further on down the line, I wonder if it was some food from the night before, mixed in with some hair that hadn't made its way into the intestines yet? I've seen the civvie do the same thing, 5-6 hours after late evening snack. Hope the Slippery Elm Bark (SEB) continues to help.

20. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

SEB is slippery elm bark

It is natural anti nausea, anti diarrhea wonder drug that is inexpensive and safe for kitties! It soothe/costs the entire GI track. Because is coats the GI track it shouldn't be given with other medications (+/- 2 hours) because it can inhibit absorption of the other meds.

Zorro's mom and Beth 73 like this.
  21. Julie and Honey

Ahhh, good to know. Thx

22. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

Hmm! Do you just give SEB when kitty is nauseous? How much at a time? Any good reputable brand that works for anyone here?

(Fig puked a bit too in the last couple days...pretty sure he was trying to cough up a hairball, but I'm giving him a little EVOO to help pass it + changed to turkey flavor food which is a little more mild...)

23. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Poor Bubba...I sure hope he's feeling better by now - and you to Bobby! Nothing like having your kids puking all over to make you feel uneasy :(

Sounds like the SEB did the trick! I keep that on hand for the upset tummies around here too!

24. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Bubba is doing better now and it was just a passing thing. Sending prayers.

25. Bobbie And Bubba

EVOO ( you must watch Rachel Ray ;)) is really good for hairballs too and constipation.
    Here is the SEB that I use and I get it on Amazon. A bag last a very long time, cheaper than buying it at the health food store in capsules and emptying them out. Starwest Botanicals www.starwest-botanicalsl.com It is Organic Slippery Elm Powder. I don't thing it's terribly expensive, I just don't remember as I have had this bag a while.

I use it daily, twice a day since Bubba and Forrest, GA, both have/ had constipation issues. It is good for constipation, diarrhea, stomach upset and nausea. So I use it at a maintenance dose as per @Beth 73 homeopathic vet. I don't even remember the dose when there is an acute issue, hoping that Beth can weight in. The maintenance dose is 1/2 tsp of water, ( I use George's Aloe Vera Juice) and 1/4 tsp of the slippery elm powder. Mix it up and it will ball up. The SEB will absorb twice the amount of liquid you put it in. Then I take that ball and work it into his food twice a day.

In a case like today, I wanted to get that thick mucilage that the SEB makes with liquid into his digestive track to coat it and put a "band aid" on his GI tract so I balled it up and gave him 1/2 onto the roof of his mouth ( forces him to swallow it, then the other 1/2) prior to given him another meal. So far so good, no more pukes.

It is great stuff! If I or Beth ( sorry, Beth, I am speaking for you) can help you , just ask. It is definitely something to have in your tool box.

IMPORTANT: SEB has to be given about 3 hours from other medications as it can interfere with absorption. So, timing is important.

ETA: I had the website misspelled and it is corrected now. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Reason for edit: ETA
  26. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I hope the Bubbs is feeling better!

27. Beth 73

Bobbie , no sorry necessary :bighug: We SEB devotees must stick together :) You covered it all perfectly . My vet suggests giving it 3x a day when GI tract is extra upset . My guys are gaggers so I have to syringe it to them in liquid form before it thickens . I give 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in water 2x a day as maintenance . Really helps my old Elmo keep his GI happy . Let me know if I can be of further help . SEB is a wonderful , safe, effective way to help our kitties ( and good for we humans too )

28. Bobbie And Bubba

:bighug:

29. Figaro's Liz

Figaro's Liz Member

30. Bobbie And Bubba

Amy, Mr. T is a beautiful cat! I am not sure if I have ever posted on one of your threads before. If I haven't, I want to say welcome to this forum! And thanks for stopping by my condo today and offering support. I really appreciate it!

JeffJ likes this.
  31. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Sending vines Bobbie in hopes that Bubba continues to hold down his food!

32. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I had one of my young ones in the ER for 24 hours. My vet was on vacation and the others were booked. She was throwing up brown bile and water repeatedly and for the first time ever refused to eat. They worried she might be obstructed. She was dehydrated from vomiting so all they really did was blood tests and an ultrasound and IV fluids. So if he’s able to eat and keep the food down I bet it’s fur that he’s trying to bring up. I hope he’s doing well now.

33. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Hope Bubbs is feeling much better this am.!

34. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

How's Bubba doing?

35. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you! Bubba looks like a big, lovable man :)! How is he doing today? Hope he is feeling better & NO more vomiting!!

36. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hope Bubba feeling better today and no more pukus.

37. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Feel better Bubba!

38. Beth 73

Bubba update please , Bubbie , when u have a minute :) Also, have had your Mom on my heart lately ...prayers that all is well :bighug: And always remember that you are a Super Daughter ❤️

LizzieInTexas likes this.