? bubble when drawing from vial

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CandyH & Catcat, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

could use some tips about dealing with bubbles in the syringe after drawing the insulin

don't remember this happening when I was shooting Vetsulin, but it appears to be happening almost every time with the Lantus vial

per my vet, I am NOT injecting air into the vial before drawing insulin out

I'm using ReliOn syringes (U-100, .3 capacity, half unit marks)

I'm compressing the plunger inwards and holding it that way as I puncture the seal of the vial, not letting go until it's all the way in

I've tried both drawing down to slightly more than I intend to shoot, and drawing down further to let air into the syringe, after drawing the insulin and pulling the needle back out -- in either case, expelling the surplus before injecting

anyone else notice this, if so what did you do, what technique works best?

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I think getting bubbles is quite common, and when micro dosing is a total nightmare, what I do is I hold the syringe upwards so that the bubble floats to the top, sometimes if it doesn't float hit the syringe with my finger, more like with my nail then slowly turn the plunge, not push, turn so that the air gets out slowly

3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

The Relion syringes drove me :blackeye: nuts with bubbles and barrel marking inaccuracies.
    Quit and replaced with BD Ultra Fine .
    Rarely a bubble trouble.
    But 50% of syringes are off mark, digital calipers might be required to secure dose consistency ( true headache on its-own:banghead:) and to cut the waste.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Reason for edit: err
    Amina&M'row and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  4. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that after drawing your dose and removing the syringe from vial draw additional air into syringe, tap until bubble joins the extra air and then carefully push plunger until air is expelled. Can't remember for the life of me who posted this nugget but it may be worth a try?

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I overdraw the dose by some then do exactly what she said:
    I use Monoject syringes and love them. I have found them to be the easiest to twist the plunger on.

6. Armish & Roo

Armish & Roo Member

Since the mm for calipers is larger compared to ReliOn (1.32mm vs 1.62mm) that means its narrower and should be easier to see the smaller doses right? I got calipers but trying to measure a 0.1U dose seems fruitless because the jaws are so close together :banghead:

Myrtlesmum likes this.
  7. Myrtlesmum

Myrtlesmum Member

I'm so glad it's not just me. Got the calipers but finding them really difficult to use / measure smaller doses. Oh well, maybe I'll find a use for them one day like making miniature maps or something - not ;)

8. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Definitely draw a little more & then while holding the syringe upright "flick" the syringe to get the bubble to the top so you are able to then push it out :)

Amina&M'row and CandyH & Catcat like this.
  9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Hilarious!

Amina&M'row likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.