Bubbled when drawing Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ziggywolf3, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziggywolf3

ziggywolf3 New Member

I meant BUBBLES in the title.oops.lol. Does anyone else have issues with bubbles in the syringe when drawing up Lantus.I know how to draw meds. My bf gets testosterone injections. Plus family members were on insulinI have never had issues ever like I do now. Could it be the syringes I'm using. I'm using Walgreens 29gauge , 0.3ml , with 1/2inch needle. Any help will so be appreciated.BTW I don't shake it. I'm very gentle with it.

2. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you drawing from a vile or a pen ?

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I had air bubbles often. I tried to get rid of them but eventually gave up.

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I always had some bubble trouble too. You can try a different brand of syringe, I may or may not help.

5. ziggywolf3

ziggywolf3 New Member

VILE

6. ziggywolf3

ziggywolf3 New Member

do you just get out what you can and then inject

7. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

most of us just have to flick the syringe to get the air bubble up towards the hub and try to turn it into one bubble so that we can push it out.

your name caught my attention....
    my mother used ziggywolf and ziggy often in her own life. all for ziggy stardust mostly....

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’d draw up a little more than I needed and try and flick it out. If a small bubble I’d ignore it. It never caused any issues.

9. MyTitan (GA)

Are you putting air in the vile to replace the insulin before you draw out? For example if you draw out 3u, b4 you draw pull the syringe back to 3 units hold the vile upright insert needle and push the air into the top of the bottle, keep the plunger pushed in and invert the vile to draw your insulin. The key is to not let air rise through the insulin to the void, i.e. Pushing in air with the vile inverted. I found that if I do not, you build a vacuum and air will get into the syringe. Even doing this I get one small bubble that is air trapped in the needle that you can't get out. Good luck. Ed

10. ziggywolf3

ziggywolf3 New Member

That's what I've been doingI tried different brand syringes, helped very little.

11. ziggywolf3

ziggywolf3 New Member

Yes I do push air in while vile is upright.i keep plunger pushed and gently invert vile.i still get at least 1 little bubble. Sometimes i get a couple. Then i draw tiny extra insulin, tap syringe and try to push them out.i try not to stress out like I used to.I just do what I can.

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you using a Vial or a cartridge of insulin ?
    A vial is a little bottle with a rubber cap. A cartridge is a small round tube like glass container with a stop at one end and a rubber cap at the other to draw out the insulin.
    As far as I am aware you are not supposed to push air into the cartridge at all..
    I managed to eliminate almost all of the bubbles by expelling all the air out of the syringe before inserting it into the cartridge and kept the plunger pressed down firmly as I inserted it. Then drew up the dose.

13. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you push the plunger up and down in the syringe a couple of times first to coat the inner tube with silicone? You will sometimes get bubbles, and as others mentioned just flick them out........I get them more when the pens start running out

14. MyTitan (GA)

Don't worry about the small bubble left, it is the air in the needle that you can not push out. A little bubble under the skin gets absorbed. Titan has never had an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.