Buddy 8/18 AMPS 276; +3 229

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly and Buddy, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

Reduction earned last night: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/buddy-8-25-amps-127-6-15-282-8-00.201638/

I hate seeing that +3 is still in 200s. I know ECID but is it possible he might get too lower numbers more quickly after a few days or do you think the lower dose will keep him at the higher numbers?

I do worry about not getting all of his whopping ".1" units of insulin in. It is nearly impossible for me to see the insulin at that small increment. I have a magnifying head set but the plunger is so close to the end, I had such a hard time reading it. There have to be better syringes out there but I sure haven't found them.

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

There's the bounce! It's hard to say about the 0.1 dose keeping him in higher numbers or not. You will have to wait out the bounce and see if this dose is going to cut it for him. If the reduction fails, you can always take him back up to .25.

I know what you mean with wondering if the tiny dose even get in as the plunger is so close to the end all ready. Bubba is on the same dose now and I always keep the plunger pushed in while removing the needle out of his skin just so suction won't pull back any of the drops. With my syringes, I have counted out that it is approximately 4 drops in the syringe at the 0.1 line. What syringes are you using?

Kelly and Buddy likes this.
  3. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

The dreaded bounce!!! :banghead:

I was going to message you today and ask if you had any suggestions on syringes OR method because I saw you also shoot low doses for Bubba. I am using Walgreens syringes. I have looked everywhere for a GOOD syringe (would love to try monoject or BD) but can NOT find anyone that carries the U100 with 1/2 inch needle AND 1/2 unit markings except Walgreens. I've looked at CVS, Kroger, Walmart and spent hours online. The only ones I can find with 1/2 units are 5/16 needle and I just don't like the shorter needle. I used them for a couple of weeks but much prefer the 1/2 inch.

So, I either have to stick with the Walgreens that have a funky dome (making it hard to read low doses) or switch to a syringe with NO 1/2 unit markings. Since I'm using a caliper, the 1/2 units might not be necessary but sometimes they provide a good "reference" point.

What syringes do you use?

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I use Walmart's brand Relion, short needle. With the calipers, you will be able to get a good measurement. On the box I have right now, the zero line is pretty right on and the 0.1 dose is just under the zero line even with using my calipers.

5. Kelly and Buddy

Kelly and Buddy Member

I wanted to try the Relion syringes but they no longer carry in U100s with a 1/2 inch needle. I may finish the needles I have and then try a box without 1/2 units. I guess I really don't need them with calipers and the low doses. Like you, my .1 reading is right on the top of the "zero" line. The 1/2 units do me no good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.