Buddy Love in San Diego CA

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wiz Zard, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiz Zard

Wiz Zard New Member

Howdy Folks!
    I run a small animal rescue in San Diego CA.
    We advocate both for the pets already in our rescue as well as certain ones in the local shelter that have been there for an unholy amount of time.

Right now we are strongly advocating for the DARLING BUDDY LOVE! He is a SUPER FRIENDLY, CHILL, diabetic kitty.

His mommy died and he has been separated from his two other "family members", a kitty and a dog, both of whom he got along with very well!

Buddy Love has been in the shelter and looking for a new home SINCE JANUARY!!!!!!!

What suggestions might you folks have for helping BUDDY LOVE out of the shelter and into a great home before he dies there?

If I can identify a FABULOUS new family for Buddy Love, I can get all shelter fees waived, and a starter kit of diabetic food, some insulin, etc. We can get him transported anywhere in CALIFORNIA, but, of course, a home check will be done first by a rescue local to that home.

THe second issue for this poor boy is that he almost looks like half a hitler, with half a moustache - his photo is my avator!

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Hi there from the North County,

Unfortunately I am not able to take Buddy home – pets are prohibited here unless it’s a service dog and the owner is a war veteran.:rolleyes:

What I can do for Buddy is to share what I have for a diabetic cat – like one unopened pen of Glargine Lantus insulin (1000 Units), plus 20-30 proper syringes for it, and some diabetic friendly canned food that I can donate. I also have extra Relion Prime glucometer with some strips – to get the new caregivers started on the home testing routine.

Financial burden is far too often a reason that ppl do not adapt/ foster diabetic cats.
    I’ll be glad to help a bit with the expense of Lantus and supplies if it helps.

You never mentioned if Buddy was on insulin dose. If so, is he on Glargine? It is one of the best insulins for cats, unfortunately a bit expensive.

I hope Buddy finds his forever home soon - he seems to be such a sweet boy!

Please let me know if yo u are interested in the donation.

@Wiz Zard

Wiz Zard likes this.
  3. Wiz Zard

Wiz Zard New Member

4. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I am not sure which insulin he is on, however I do have his medical records - can I send them to you? I have zero experience in the medical field and would not recognize it if I saw it, lol
    Can you upload his med records? Before I give off one of the most powerful hormones around I think I'd like to see at a least a Dx for FD. Do you have it?
    If not able to upload then just take a pic of each page and post here.

So you are saying that Buddy, the diabetic, is not on a dose of insulin?
    Or that he is on a dose but yo u are not aware which insulin he is on?

My offer stands fully on donation. (given the Diabetis is a proven DX).

Are you a sole care giver for Buddy?
    Do you test his Blood Glucose (BG) daily?
    How have you learnt he was diabetic?
    If there is an Dx or Lab work on that please post.

If times allows please consider to starting a spreadsheet to track Buddy BG. The detailed instructions are in the Sticky Note @ the top of the forum.

You can contact me privately by clicking on my avatar and then - clicking on Start a Conversation.

However, any advise given on this Board is subject to a peer review - to filter out bad advise by pple w/ experience.
    I can talk to you privately about donation (names and addresses) but not about what is to be done w/ diabetics.

I hope you'll ok with that.
    (It makes sense, does it not? To control what is said on internet- I mean the peer review)

We are data driven community that asks Care Givers to collect a lot of data (the home testing results) before we are able to help out with the dose, and such. If yo u have any blood glucose testing results for Buddy please post them here.

5. Wiz Zard

Wiz Zard New Member

Buddy is in the shelter environment, getting the dose of insulin he needs. He has had full panels of blood tests, etc, so its a firm diagnosis. The shelter has four vets on staff that he has access to as needed.

As mentioned we are a rescue, and although we can pull him, and advocate for him, but I cannot personally bring him home, because I am so totally needle phobic that even speaking about it is making me woozy, lol. None of my fosters have the wherewithall to take him. (Believe me, if there was anyway to pull Buddy to cram him into a good foster I would have already done it; After forty years, I have magical abilities to make fosters (even complete strangers sometime!) take pets when they think they can't.)

Thus, we are unable to provide daily numbers for a spreadsheet, etc. However, if there are and gluvose testing results, they will most likely be in the medical records to which I referred earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.