Buddy was just diagnosed today!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AnnaMaria, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnnaMaria

AnnaMaria New Member

Hi everyone! My name is AnnaMaria and my 10 year old cat Buddy was just diagnosed. I visited a shelter about a month ago and fell in love with him and brought him home a week later. I moved back to college because I was on break, and he now lives in my dorm with me as my emotional support animal for my anxiety. We’re starting insulin soon and have to change his diet around as well as switch some other things around due to other medical conditions. I’m hoping once his meds get settled he’ll start feeling better!

Attached Files:

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Anna Maria and Buddy. What's not to love? He is charming! I am so glad you did some research and found FDMB.
    If you haven't already, revisit the Home Page and read the Getting Started and the Education sections to the right side of the page. It's great basic beginner information that you can use going forward.

There are three basic components of effective feline diabetes treatment: proper diet, insulin therapy and home testing.
    We have information here on the board with more detailed information about each of these aspects. www.catinfo.org is a site about feline nutrition, and Dr. Pierson has compiled a Food Chart that breaks down the percentages of many commercial canned food brands to protein, fat, phosphorus, carbohydrates and calories. We recommend a low carb wet food less than 10% carbs. If there are other dietary issues due to Buddy's other medical conditions, chances are that there are members here who have encountered same and will share experiences and solutions.

Please create a signature so that Buddy's information is available with each of your posts. Tell us what those other medical conditions are also, please.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

We also would like Buddy to feel better, the aim of every member on the board is to help our sugar cats to optimum health and well being. Going forward, it is recommended that you post in the Main Health forum, as this Introduction forum is basically a welcome mat and your posts are going to be viewed by more members, with quicker responses in the Main forum.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Best wishes going forward :cat:

3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

What a dapper boy! I'm happy you adopted him!

This is a really supportive, helpful place, and there is so much help. I have an anxiety disorder too, and my furbabies are my lifeline through a lot of things.

Stick around, check out all the info, and ask for help any time you need it! No one should deal with FD alone.

4. Silvia

Silvia Member

Omg he looks just like our older cat, Banana!! <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.