Buddy's Mom always needs help Part 11

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

PMPS is around 7:00 p.m., which is 20 min. away.

2. Teresa & Buddy

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Teresa! I think I'd suggest sticking with the 5.5u tonight. How are you feeling about the dose?

4. Teresa & Buddy

I did not think about him bouncing, I just noticed he had better numbers at a lower dose. I wanted other people's opinion because I had given Buddy a higher dose and his BG # had went up.

5. Djamila

The numbers you were getting at 5.8 were looking pretty good. Those high ones on 7/17 during the PM cycle were a bounce. It can feel discouraging when we see high numbers like that, but it mean something good happened just before that.

If you want to work your way back towards the 5.8, you could try 5.6 tonight.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Teresa,

You could try 5.6 u tonight. His best numbers so far have been at 5.8 u even though you had to steer him.

Djamila likes this.
  7. Teresa & Buddy

I would like to work my way back, right after 7/17 Buddy quit eating and I have been giving him an appetite stimulant to get him to eat. I thought he was feeling better, but at PMPS tonight he is not wanting to eat even with an appetite stimulant. Do you think that raising his dose would make a difference, he ate very little.

8. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, I have been giving Buddy an appetite stimulant to get him to eat, I thought he was feeling better, tonight at PMPS he is not wanting to eat. I gave him an appetite stimulant a few hrs ago and he only ate a small amount. Would that make a difference in raising his dose.

9. Djamila

Does he keep eating if you leave the food out for him? Sometimes Sam only takes a bite or two at shot time, but I know that he'll eat more over the next couple of hours. Does Buddy do that? Or do you think it will be hard to get him to eat later?

10. Kris & Teasel

ProZinc doesn't hit too fast, Teresa. Do you think he'll manage a tablespoon or two in the next two hours?

11. Teresa & Buddy

I don't know, he has not been feeling well.

12. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, I don't know. I have put Forti-Flora on his wet food and he still will not eat. I have been sitting in the floor and petting him, but all he has ate has been a few bites.

13. Kris & Teasel

Does he show signs of nausea or pain? If you're concerned that he won't eat much or at all thonight you can either skip his shot or give a reduced dose. That's always a guessing game - half his recent dose range?

14. Teresa & Buddy

I just got him to take a few bites of FF, maybe he will eat some more of that. I am going to hold off and see if I can get him to eat some more. I will give him 5.6 if I can get him to eat if not I will give 5.5u

15. Kris & Teasel

Will he nibble on YA over the evening? That should work.

16. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Do you have any Young Again Zero Mature yet? Maury would eat that right away with his pancreatitis. As long as he ate his YAZ I felt OK giving him his usual dose. I know it was no where near Buddy's dose but read somewhere that 2T of YAZ is almost equal to 3oz of high quality canned food. Oh here it is, post #12 Steph got an e-mail: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/young-again-zero.180721/#post-2001173

17. Teresa & Buddy

Sometimes he does, but is not eating very much. I really hate to give him a half a dose, but I cannot tell what is going on.

18. Teresa & Buddy

I got him to eat some FF classic, so I gave him 5.6u.

19. Teresa & Buddy

I got Buddy to eat some FF classic, he was having nothing to do with his regular food. I gave 5.6u.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  20. Yong & Maury GA

I think he'll be OK Teresa :). He might go snack on some more later :bighug:

21. Teresa & Buddy

thank you. The only thing I have got done since 7:00p.m. is trying to get Buddy to eat. Finally!!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  22. Teresa & Buddy

I ran a test on Buddy at 6:28 and his BG #273, does anyone think I should up his dose, or stay at 5.6u for a few cycles.

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd stick with 5.6 for a few cycles and let's see where it takes him. Just to help him settle in a little...you can always up to 5.8 after you've seen if this dose is effective or not.

24. Teresa & Buddy

Are you up before work on FDMB, that is so wonderful of you. Some of you ladies I don't know how you manage everything. Have a great day !!

25. Kris & Teasel

I like Rachel's suggestion, Teresa.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  26. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I figure I gotta be up anyway so what's a few minutes early so I can check in? I was the one needing early help before so I want to be here if others do. :)

27. Teresa & Buddy

That is really nice ofyou.

28. Teresa & Buddy

Last night (Sunday) I was having problems getting Buddy to eat, after a while I got him to eat FF classic. This morning he took a few bites so I thought he would eat more later so I went ahead and gave Buddy His shot. I was wrong he did not eat and I had given 5.6u. I went to look for Buddy and walked by his litter box, he had a massive blow out in his litter box, nothing but liquid. I took a reading of Buddy's BG and it had shot way up.
    I took him to the doctor and he said, this time of year cats get a G.I. bug. He put Buddy on an antibiotic, I hope this helps.

29. Kris & Teasel

Poor Buddy and poor you! Very likely reason for that red.

30. Djamila

Oh poor Buddy! I hope he feels better soon! Sam is just getting over it. It's so hard to see our babies not feeling well.

31. Teresa & Buddy

Did both of your kitty's get sick.

32. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, Poor me, 2 of my other cats have it too.

33. Djamila

No, just Sam. He's been on metronidazole for five days now and seems to be mostly feeling better. Just now he was grooming which he hasn't been doing much this week, so it's nice to see that he's getting back to his usual routines.

You have three cats with this!?!? Oh my goodness, Teresa! You have your hands full! Do you have to pill all three of them?

34. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, plus Buddy has another liquid to take with his pills.

35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh my!!! Poor you AND poor kitties! I can't imagine dealing with 3 kitties all with this same thing. I hope they all feel better ASAP!

36. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel , Buddy's AMPS@343, I think I will raise him to 5.7u. What do you think, do you think I need to stay at 5.6u.

37. Kris & Teasel

At this dose level there's not a big difference between 5.6 and 5.7 u, Teresa. Try 5.7 u. How is he feeling? Is he still having diarrhea?

38. Teresa & Buddy

He Is not eating well, he has terrible gas, he has not had a bowel movement this morning. If his AMPS # had not been so high I would have left him at 5.6u. Lately, I have seen so much about cats getting sick from not enough food and insulin, we sure do not need anything else to deal with.

39. Yong & Maury GA

I hope the AB's help your babies feel better soon, Teresa :bighug::bighug::bighug:

40. Kris & Teasel

He probably doesn't have any poop left in him today, Teresa. The antibiotic might add to his GI distress. Let him eat whatever he wants until he's feeling better.

41. Teresa & Buddy

Yong, when you got your insulin from Canada how was it packaged, did it have any ice packs in the container.

42. Yong & Maury GA

The box of pens were in a silver padded envelope and outside of it was a one time use ice pack. I don't know how cold it was when it arrived as my Mum was here to sign for it and she immediately put the whole unopened package in the refrigerator :). Took about 4-5 days to arrive from Canada :)

43. Djamila

Mine was still cold when it arrived. Although my understanding is that with Lantus, that isn't as important as it is with Prozinc.

44. Kris & Teasel

Lantus does better at slightly warmer temperatures (eg. room temperature for a period of time) but can't be frozen.

45. Teresa & Buddy

What am I doing wrong when I give Buddy 5.6u he has been in the 300's. This morning I gave him 5.7u at 1.00 p.m. he was @278, at 5:15 p.m. he is @ 116. Now I need to raise him up so he can get a shot tonight, but what dose, one is not enough and the other is a little too much.

I ordered Lantus from Mark's Pharmacy today, 5 pens. I pd $10.00 extra for a insulated carrier because of the weather.

46. Kris & Teasel

It sounds like a bounce was clearing so he gave you a low PMPS. When is his PM shot due? You can stall or feed and wait or give a lower dose.

47. Teresa & Buddy

His PMPS shot is due at 8:00 p.m., I just happened to take a reading at 5:15 and he was at 116 so I feed him and waited for a while and checked him at 6:00 he was at 119 and at 6:52 he was at 115. I have been feeding him, he then would not eat, so I gave him some FF grilled.

Do you think the 300 readings were a bounce. So I wonder if the 5.6U or 5.7u is the best dose.

48. Kris & Teasel

There really isn't a significant difference between 5.6 u and 5.7 u, Teresa. The bigger issue right now is what his PMPS will be and what you can do. How about waiting to get that number and posting it right away here? I'll be checking in.

49. Teresa & Buddy

I will do that.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  50. Teresa & Buddy

At PMPS @161, he has ate 1 1/4 cans of FF grilled, he will not eat any more. About 1/4 cans he just ate. I do not understand why I cannot get this right. Hopefully, he will do better on Lantus.

51. Kris & Teasel

You could try a 50% reduction, Teresa - 2.8 u? He'd get some insulin in him but should be OK. What do you think?

52. Teresa & Buddy

I think I will wait another 45 minutes to see where he is at, then I will probably give him a reduced dose. Do you think at AMPS tomorrow I should go back to his regular dose whatever that is.

53. Kris & Teasel

If AMPS permits, yes.

54. Teresa & Buddy

You sure are a very busy person. I have been reading post and you have just post on all of them.

Djamila likes this.
  55. Teresa & Buddy

I am not catching something with Buddy, as soon as he gets at 5.7u he takes a dive, but on 5.6 his numbers are always high.
    I wonder (like Kris said) if it is bouncing. I am going back to 5.6u and holding it for a while, that is once I get his current dive straightened out.

56. Kris & Teasel

Try that, Teresa. I know that Teasel had the tendency to overreact to the tiniest dose increase when he was on ProZinc and he will still do it on Lantus. His overreactions only lasted a cycle or two and then he'd get back to bouncing and getting stuck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.