Buddy's Mom needs help with dosing part 9

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Need advise with dosing Buddy, he seems to be insulin resistant.

2. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy has not been feeling well for a few days. I am so relieved that I had meds here at home for him. We have been dealing with this for 4 years. I wanted to up his dose tomorrow, but I don't know if that is what I should do. Seems like his numbers started getting higher on Sunday evening and that is about the time he started feeling bad. He is not throwing up and his stool is alright, but I can tell he is not feeling good.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry he's not feeling well, Teresa. Maybe keep the dose and get some mid cycle tests?

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Buddy to feel better! [​IMG]:cat::bighug:

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  5. Teresa & Buddy

I did test him today at mid cycle and I will post them. He is acting like he wants to eat but he turns around and walks way. I will give him the same dose tonight, if you think I can up is dose safely tomorrow let me know.

6. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy's ears have been really red and puffy looking, so I have tried to lighten up for a while on his testing. I can go back to more testing.

7. Kris & Teasel

Do you have antinausea meds?

8. Kris & Teasel

You got a mid cycle number so you can give him a break.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  9. Teresa & Buddy

I do have anti-nausea meds, from when he went to his other doc. I don't know how this doctor feels about all these meds, but Buddy needs them. The day he was throwing up I gave him cerenia, since he is not throwing up I have gave him zofran.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Teresa & Buddy

I do have anti-nausea meds, from when he went to his other doc. I don't know how this doctor feels about all these meds, but Buddy needs them. The day he was throwing up I gave him cerenia, since he is not throwing up I have gave him zofran.
    Thank you

11. Kris & Teasel

Many people here use these meds when they're needed so they can keep their kitty eating well and feeling better.

12. Teresa & Buddy

I use these meds a lot, sometimes he will come right out of his bout of pancreatitis with some meds and some times it takes longer. He has been taking meds since Monday when he was throwing up. I hope he gets to feeling better. Buddy has had a lot of trouble with pancreatitis in his life. I am hoping if I could get his BG lower it would help his pancreas.

13. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy's AMPS number was better this morning than it has been for a few days. I am going to hold this dose for a while since he has not been eating very much.

14. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy's AMPS was 280, he is still not up to par yet, but he is feeling better. Hope to be able to change his dose on Monday.

15. Teresa & Buddy

I think Buddy is getting better, but I don't want to jinx this. Tomorrow is Sunday and if possible I will go to church, so I do not want to change his dose on this day. I am hoping to change his dose on Monday, I hope no one else is having Kitty problems.

16. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a really nice cycle last night! I think changing the dose when you can be home is a good idea. You should be able to go to church and not worry about him that way!

17. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy, says" Thank you". I have been afraid to change his dose this week, because he has been having a pancreatitis flare. I am hoping the worst is over.

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sorry to hear that! I hope he feels better soon!

19. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you. I think he is feeling better.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  20. Kris & Teasel

Sounds like a good plan, Teresa. I'm glad Buddy is feeling better.

21. Kris & Teasel

How's Buddy, Teresa?

22. Teresa & Buddy

I have not even got his numbers on his SS from yesterday. When I came home from church he was not feeling well, I could barely get him to eat so I could give him his insulin, his PMPS 1st number was 161. I finally got him to eat some of his old dry food, waited 40 minutes and this time I got 278. I gave him 4.8u. This morning his AMPS # 248 and I gave him 5u. I am getting ready to take him to the vet.

23. Kris & Teasel

I'm sorry he's not feeling well, Teresa. Good luck at the vet.

24. Yong & Maury GA

Let us know what the Vet says, Teresa :bighug:

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

How'd the vet go Teresa?

26. Teresa & Buddy

I am not sure and I don't think the doctor is either. This morning Buddy was very painful on his left side, so the doctor did an ultra sound of his abdomen. I had no idea what he was showing me, he said the lymph nodes on Buddy's left side were swollen and he could tell from the size. He said he did not know why, he acted like he was thinking about going in to look around. He decided to put Buddy on Clavamox for 2 weeks and then have him come back for another ultra sound in 2 wks. The only thing I can get Buddy to eat is Purina OM dry, he ate this dry food before diabetes. I am very worried about him.

27. Teresa & Buddy

Rachel was the last 1 who e-mailed me, I answered that one. It is right below yours. Thank you, for asking.

28. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I put an answer on Rachel's post. I am getting lazy .

29. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel @Yong @Rachel
    I hope I did not offend anyone yesterday by just answering one post. When I took Buddy To the vet yesterday the appointment before Buddy's was a pregnant Saint Bernard. Per my luck, the Saint Bernard needed a C-section. It seemed like we were there forever and I was not leaving until Buddy saw the doctor. When we finally got home I had two other cats to give medicine and my Mother needed help with some things. This morning I thought about how rude it was for me to only answer one post, but my intent was not to be rude.
    This AMPS Buddy started taking 125mg of Clavamox 2x a day for 14 days. Yesterday his vet gave him an injection that he said contained B12 and an antibiotic. Does anyone know how long it should take to notice a difference once you start an antibiotic. Again please accept my apology for being so rude. All of you are very important, you are always there willing to help. Buddy is only eating Purina OM dry, he did take a bite of FF classic around 4:a.m. Thank you, for all of your help.

30. Yong & Maury GA

Not rude at all, Teresa :bighug:. As long as we get the update, we're happy! :smuggrin: We just want Buddy to feel better which will in turn make you feel better :cat:. I think it can still take a day or so, like people, for an antibiotic to kick in full gear.

31. Kris & Teasel

My goodness, Teresa, you weren't rude at all! You're worried about Buddy and we all saw your post about the vet visit. Was the injectable antibiotic called Convenia? Oral antibiotics usually kick in in a few days.

32. Teresa & Buddy

I do not know what the injectable antibiotic was, but he did say it contained B12. He did send us home with Clavamox in pill form.

33. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Teresa, don't even worry about it! We can all see these posts, so it was more than fine to just answer one. We just wanted to know how Buddy was doing. You certainly didn't need to take time away from your little ones to answer us each individually. :bighug:

I think the antibiotics can take a day or so to start taking effect...that's usually how it is for humans, and I think that it took about that long for me to start seeing a difference in my own cats when they've had ABs.

34. Teresa & Buddy

I am giving an update on Buddy, since I have not been posting very much. Buddy started yesterday taking Clavamox 125 mg 2x a day. I can not tell if there is any difference in him since he has taken 3 doses of medicine. He has been eating Purina Om dry (has 13g of carbs) because he would eat that and nothing else. Yesterday he took a liking to Friskies Supreme Supper, which is something the other cats eat, but if he wants to eat that I sure will let him. I don't know if any of you are praying people, if you are once again please pray for Buddy. I am hoping this is something AB can take care and not anything else.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sending tons of healing vines for Buddy.

36. Kris & Teasel

Crossing fingers and sending positive energy to you and Buddy. Let him eat whatever he wants right now. :bighug:

37. Djamila

Praying...

38. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

39. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

40. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

41. Teresa & Buddy

I do not want to say too much and jinx anything. Yesterday afternoon I starting noticing Buddy playing around more and he has been eating more, he does not seem as painful to the touch on the left side like he was. Buddy's stools have been loose so his vet put him on Proviable this is a probiotic, but in the container with it is some med in a syringe that stops loose stools. Loose stools from AB. Buddy has an appointment on Friday for US. Please hope and pray doc finds nothing wrong. Hope all Kitty's and Mom's are well

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ugh I know about the lose stools from AB! Mine usually have 1 bout of really terrible diarrhea...let's just say a litter box change is immediately required. Scooping not an option when that happens! Hope he feels better soon and the vetty bean doesn't find anything wrong!!!

43. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you

44. Yong & Maury GA

Hi Teresa, how are you and Buddy doing today? :bighug:

45. Teresa & Buddy

I went to church this morning, then I stopped at the grocery store on my way home. I stopped mainly to pick up some food that Buddy likes. One day I went to the $$ store and I saw some 9 lives liver & chicken pate, I got to thinking someone on FDMB uses this so I bought some. All of my cats liked this 1 flavor including Buddy. The only problem was I could not find it any where, even the $$ store. I finally found some at Meijers (is like a more expensive Wal-Mart). I really did not realize that 9 live cat food was made anymore and it is the cheapest cat food that I have found, Buddy loves it.
    I have my fingers crossed about Buddy, he is eating a lot (too high BG). He has vet appt on Friday for another US. He is not as painful as last Sunday and Monday. I am hoping and praying for a good out come for Buddy. How are you and your fur babies and how is everyone else doing. I know that all of your are staying busy helping everyone else. Keep up the good work. Good wishes for Buddy.

46. Djamila

Definitely sending good wishes for Buddy! Good to hear your found the 9 lives that he likes, and that his pain is a bit better!

All is well here. The sun has finally appeared, so the kitties are out on the balcony, and I'm getting ready to head out for a little urban hike.

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad to hear you found the 9 Lives he likes! I know the fun of searching for the cat food you want. I finally just got to ordering mine online so I knew I'd always get it!

All is well here too for the moment. Storms are over and it's cooled off some due to that...thankfully! Just wish it would stay cool but we're heading into the heat of summer!

48. Kris & Teasel

All good here, Teresa. Good wishes to you and Buddy!

49. Teresa & Buddy

I think I spoke too soon, Buddy is not wanting to eat today. All he will eat is Purina OM dry, which I am tying to limit due to BG. All the 9 lives I bought he is not eating. I am going to give him an appetite stimulant in a few hours. This really upsets me.

50. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

In the end, he's got to eat. So if he'll eat that, I would give it to him if you can't get anything else in him.

51. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

I see in the notes on your SS that Buddy has been feeling a little better and eating the last couple of days. That's great! :)

52. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel @Yong @Djamila
    I need some advise, Buddy's AMPS was 56, I took again 80, then 98, last time it was 134. I do not have his info on his SS because I have been sick, I will put in now. I was not sure what to do about dosing. He ate FF grilled and Purina OM dry to being up his BG, he loves both of these.

53. Djamila

It looks like he's at 234? How long past normal shot time are you?

54. Djamila

And with the 234, it sounds like you fed him to get him to that number? Is that right?

55. Djamila

I have to run soon, so in case you haven't shot and see this:

You don't have any other numbers anywhere close to the 56/80/98 that you got this morning. Assuming the higher numbers are food influenced, I would recommend that you reduce the dose this morning based on those really unusual low numbers. How much to reduce is a tough questions. Everything else in the past few weeks indicates that Buddy is going to head right back up to his usual yellows and pinks, but you haven't had a green in ages, and especially not a low green so late in the cycle. I think any decision you (or any of us) make at this point is going to be pretty much a blind guess. You know how to monitor, and you can steer if you need to, so you'll be okay, pretty much no matter what, but I would still say to reduce the dose and just let him run a little higher this cycle since this is uncharted territory.

56. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, I gave him food. About 1 1/2 to 2 hrs past shot time. I am going to check BG again, I have been giving meds to my other cats.

57. Kris & Teasel

I'm just seeing this now, Teresa. I agree with Djamila's advice. Why not try 4 u? This is total guessing but it should be enough of a reduction to keep him safe.

Djamila likes this.
  58. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, he has not been this low in a very long time. Of course with Buddy you never know what is going to happen. Thanks again.

59. Kris & Teasel

Test at +2 after the 4 u dose to see where he's headed. He might be higher and that's to be expected. Those lows are interesting and might be due to the antibiotic's effect.

60. Teresa & Buddy

I will test at +2, he is eating right now so it might take a little longer than 2. I hope the antibiotic's start having a good effect on him, it has caused him to have a very loose stool.

61. Teresa & Buddy

I hope tomorrow morning he does not have problems with his BG, I am supposed to take my Mother to the doctor at 10:00 a.m.
    Then on Friday we have a big day, Buddy is going to the vet for an US. I am hoping and praying everything is alright with Buddy.

62. Djamila

Fingers crossed he doesn't throw you any surprises tomorrow!

63. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you !!!

64. Yong & Maury GA

I'm sorry I wasn't around, Teresa! I worked today. Hopefully those antibiotics are helping Buddy! Hope you are feeling better too =). Let us know how the US goes *hugs*

65. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Keep us updated on how Buddy is and how the US goes Friday!

66. Teresa & Buddy

I'm sorry it took me so long to answer, I did not know you worked. The antibiotics Buddy has been taking has given him really loose stool. His vet put him on a probiotic which he is still taking and along with it was a paste in a syringe that was to help the loose stool. The paste did help the loose stool but it is all gone. I have not been feeling very good and I did not feel like driving to the vets so I called the vets office and asked one of the girls up front if I could give Buddy some generic flagyl that I had for one of the other cats since I did not feel like going to the vets office. The office girl told me that would be alright. I started giving him the medication on Tuesday, last night I got to thinking she did not ask me if Buddy was taking any other meds and she probably would not know anyway unless she asked the vet. I called his answering service last night and it took 2 attempts before he called me back. When he called me back he said he was in the middle of 2 life or death situations and he was sorry it took so long to call me back. Of course I felt terrible and said as little as possible, he said he did not want Buddy taking the flagyl because he wanted to know what was wrong with him and if he took 2 AB he would not know. Hopefully, we can make it till tomorrow and then make it through tomorrow.

67. Teresa & Buddy

I will do and thanks for asking.

Rachel likes this.
  68. Yong & Maury GA

No worries about not immediately responding =). I am still officially unemployed but been working for my step dad a little.

69. Teresa & Buddy

A job is a job.

70. Teresa & Buddy

I took Buddy to the vet a little while ago, this is what I found out, not a DARN THING. His vet did an US and said it had not grown and Buddy had not lost any weight, so he was inclined to leave it alone. He said when Buddy was in for his next curve they would do another US and I reminded him of my SS. So I am supposed to bring him back in another month or two for an US and or if he has problems before.
    He had a vet student following him around today and he did not seem as serious as usual. The only thing he will give him for loose stool is a probiotic and in the same carton is a syringe filled with a paste to help loose stool. As my luck goes they were out of it, so I get to make another trip back there later today and pick it up.
    My FIV+ kitty is on an AB and his stool is loose, I am going to see his vet (Buddy's old vet) and pick up generic Flagyl for loose stool. Sounds like if anyone has questions about poop, I would be the perfect person to ask. I also still fill like crap and I am waiting to see if my doc calls in to his office so they can get him to OK a script for me. How is everybody"s day going.

71. Kris & Teasel

We're good here in my corner of Canada, Teresa. Sounds like you're having a crummy day. I hope both you and Buddy feel better soon.

72. Yong & Maury GA

Ok in NE coast =). While frustrating for you I'm glad Buddy is OK and just being a cat :cat:. Hope you start feeling better! :bighug:

73. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you're both not feeling well! I hope your weekend turns out good.

74. Teresa & Buddy

I wish the doctor had said Buddy was OK, but he didn't. He said it was still there, but it had not grown any and Buddy has not lost any weight. I am to take him back in another month for an US. I hope in another month this has not grown any and he has not lost any weight. I am happy that it is not any worse than 12 days ago. I am having GI issues that I have had before but they are not getting any better. My Mother wants me to go to the ER, but I have no one to take care of Buddy and my other cats that are sick. Guess if it gets bad enough I will go anyway.

75. Teresa & Buddy

I have been having a crummy week. I hope that we both are better soon. Do you know of anyone who would come to Indiana and take care of my sick cats while I re-coup. Oh, I forgot my 95 yr old Mother too.

76. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

77. Teresa & Buddy

Here in Indiana, Cross Roads of America, every thing and everybody is getting ready for the Indianapolis 500 race. Except for me, my mother and my sweet baby kitty's.

78. Yong & Maury GA

I'm sorry you and Buddy are still not feeling well, Teresa :bighug:. I know Indiana is a big state too but @Phoebes (Angela) lives there too. Tagged her to chime in, maybe she could help.

79. Kris & Teasel

I'm sorry you've hit a rough patch, Teresa.

80. Djamila

Teresa, please take care of yourself! If Buddy needs to miss a cycle while you get the care you need, please don't worry about him! Just think of it like a fur shot. It's just one cycle. You need to attend to your own health too!

81. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Absolutely what Djamila said! Take care of yourself and know that if Buddy misses a cycle...it's just one cycle.

82. Teresa & Buddy

I did not know anyone else lives in Indiana on FDMB, I don't think Indiana is that big of a state. However, every year the Indy 500 is a big deal around here. I have never been and do not intend to ever go. I live around an hour from Indy, give or take a little depending where you are going.
    I don't wanna say much about Buddy because I do not want to jinx anything. Hopefully, he can continue to hold his own.
    I have been having GI issues for a while, I have not been real painful for a few days but I don't feel well. Maybe all my cats will get to feeling better, then maybe I will too.

83. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, you are a jewel.

84. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I have been able to take care of him so far. My Mother keeps telling me if I don't take care of myself, then who is going to take care of my cats.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  85. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I know that is true.

86. Kris & Teasel

I like that blue from last night!

87. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I am trying to get back to a better dose for Buddy. It dose seem like he is coming up with a low BG more often at dosing time.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  88. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I am about 4 hours away. :( wish I was closer. Hope your furbaby feels better soon, and hope you do too. :) head bumps :cat::cat:

89. Yong & Maury GA

Also noticed another member in Indiana but she seems to be dealing with a anxiety inducing situation herself. Patches mum, on Main Health. Too bad you guys are about 4 hours away. Thanks for checking, Angela :)

How are you feeling, Teresa? Any better? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]*healing vines for both of you*:bighug:

90. Teresa & Buddy

91. Kris & Teasel

How are you and Buddy doing, Teresa?

92. Teresa & Buddy

I am feeling better, I appreciate you asking. I am trying to start checking post more often. I am afraid to say anything about Buddy, I don't want to jinx anything.

93. Teresa & Buddy

I am feeling better, still a little wobbly. Decided to up Buddy's dose this morning, hope I can keep up with it. How are you and your brood. I wanted to ask you if you know anything about using Freestyle test strips with a Alpha Track meter. I was thinking that you use a Alpha Track meter.

94. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I have experience with FS strips in an AT meter. They'll read a little differently but not by much. Get a few same blood drop comparison tests using an AT strip and a FS strip every time you start a new vial of FS strips. Leave your AT meter set at whatever the last-used cat code was.

Glad you're feeling Buddy and we won't mention Buddy! :);)

95. Teresa & Buddy

Is there more than 1 type of Free Style test strips and if so is there any certain 1 that needs to be used with Alpha Track. This is something I have been thinking about for a while.

96. Kris & Teasel

Free Style Lite with the butterfly logo on the strip is what you want. They look identical to the AT strips.

97. Yong & Maury GA

I use Free Style Lite strips with my AT2 meter too, Teresa :)

98. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad you're feeling better!

99. Teresa & Buddy

I saw some Free Style strips the other day at a very good price, but I cannot remember if they were Lite or not. Hope you feel better after taking Maury to he vet, sometimes I don't know if I feel better or not. I would really like to know if Lantus works better for Maury, I hope it works better for you and Maury.

100. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I am old, takes a longer time to re-coup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.