Buddys SS up and going 3rd part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I started new thread because the other thread had got too long.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I see the pink at +2. Hard to know if it's food or a bounce starting.

3. Teresa & Buddy

I did find out from Bud's doctor that he removed the tail of his pancreas, more tissue of the pancreas that was inflamed and the tissue looked & felt different than the other tissue. He also removed inflamed tissue in and around pancreas, damaged fat tissue and his spleen. He sent some of the tissue for a histopath, hoping for good results on this. He said this had been brewing for a while. Hope Buddy continues to improve.

4. Teresa & Buddy

He has been wanting to eat a lot. I must admit he has been eating more and he is eating Royal Canin wet food. He will not eat FF classic and since he needs to eat I am giving him Royal Canin.

5. Teresa & Buddy

At +5 @73 I gave Bud 1/2 can of Royal Canin to try and stop number from getting too low. How long should I wait before taking another reading. Hope this helps.

6. Kris & Teasel

Fingers crossed for positive results!

7. Kris & Teasel

I had to go out so I'm seeing this now. Those greens aren't surprising. I'd do another reading soon. If he hasn't dropped more, don't give any more food and retest in 30 minutes. You wan to know if he'll hold without food.

8. Teresa & Buddy

I took another reading he was @72 so I gave him another 1/2 can royal canin waited 1/2 hr checked again he was @69 I feed him FF grilled with gravy @2:30 he was @87. Will check again shortly. I would like your input tonight on his dose if you have the time.

9. Teresa & Buddy

It is 3:00 and his reading was 111, how long do you think I should wait before rechecking. I know @73 it could have been worse, but I did not want him to go lower.

10. Teresa & Buddy

At 3:30 took another reading he was @125

11. Kris & Teasel

I think he's on the rise. You could give 3 u tonight and test at +2 or +3. If you want to play it safer overnight maybe drop to 2.75 u? You might see higher bounce numbers tonight. The final dose decision can be on hold until you see his PMPS.

12. Teresa & Buddy

He is @374 at 6:30, what dose of insulin would you give.

13. Kris & Teasel

I'd give 3 u, not 3.25 because you had to prop him up with food. Can you test at least once this evening?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Rachel likes this.
  14. Teresa & Buddy

I gave him 2.75 this evening. I am not going to give him 3.25 again, unless it is clear he needs an increase. I can test him again if he will quit eating. I did pick his food up, but he has wanted to eat all day.

15. Kris & Teasel

He should be fine with 2.75 u. If he needs to gain weight, let him eat. It'll help in his recovery too.

16. Teresa & Buddy

I probably will go back to 3u in the morning, if not I will not go over. He was pretty chubby before this started, but he has lost weight. This is the 1st day he has been his self since he had surgery.

17. Kris & Teasel

Looks like he might need a bit more than 3 u. You can try what we call a "fat" 3 u - just past but barely touching the 3 u line. How is he feeling? No pain meds today, right?

18. Teresa & Buddy

He is more like his self, no pain meds. He wants to eat all the time and I must admit I am giving him more food than I did before his surgery. He has lost weight, one of his front legs looks like a poodle where they shaved his hair for IVs. He is eating the Royal Canin wet only, no dry food. He will not eat FF classic, he will eat FF grilled with the gravy (found out when readings started dropping down yesterday). I will try the fat 3u, isn't it strange that the little amount for .25 made his dose too much. I was thinking he would need an increase in insulin because of his surgery.

19. Kris & Teasel

Yes, insulin is very powerful. I'm glad he's eating. Have you tried giving him Friskies pates - still low carb.

20. Teresa & Buddy

No I haven't since he has been home from hospital. The 1st time he had pancreatitis he was eating Friskies pate (I still feed this to some of the cats) he got food aversion and would not eat any canned food. He would only eat dry (Purina OM prescription diet) when I started feeding Red FF grilled he decided he wanted to eat that also. When he got sick they said he could only eat certain foods and 1 of them was Purina OM dry, Purina DM wet food( Buddy does not like) or Royal Canin wet. He really likes the Royal Canin wet food and right now he will not eat FF classic

21. Kris & Teasel

Well, then it's whatever he'll eat. You don't want a food aversion in the middle of all this. Have you tried some YA dry since he came home? You do have some right?

22. Teresa & Buddy

I have the whole package of YA, he ate very little of it because his numbers starting going up on the 1st day and only day he ate some. Since he has been so sick I am afraid to mess around with his diet and try the YA again. When some time has passed and if he is doing alright I will try to introduce it back into his diet. Last week at this time he had not had surgery, he was a really sick little guy and that scares me.

23. Kris & Teasel

Completely understandable, Teresa. For now don't mess with his food. :)

Rachel likes this.
  24. Teresa & Buddy

The st time I took a reading this morning it said 600. My heart went into over drive, I grabbed his doctors number and just as I was getting ready to call the thought it hit me, take it again. This time it was 323, so I gave him a fat 3u.

25. Kris & Teasel

Always a good idea to repeat a test that surprises you. :) Let's see what the fat 3 u does. Suggestion: put a captital letter "F" in front of the 3 on your SS to indicate the fat dose.

26. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to see that you and Wolfey are recovering and doing well. Challenging juggling the meds with the insulin, but you are doing a great job.

27. Teresa & Buddy

28. Kris & Teasel

Will Buddy have a follow up checkup by the vet? Would he be more satisfied if you take the vet-approved daily food ration and divide it up into many small meals? It would be busier for you but might work better while he's recuperating.

29. Teresa & Buddy

He is supposed to have a curve by the vet around the 1st week in March, I will e-mail him the SS. If he still wants Bud to come in and do the curve I will take him in for the day. I want to stay in his good graces in case I need him, he is now Buddy's doctor. I started today to ration his food, 1st thing this morning I gave him a larger amount, but I also held some back. I have been doing a lot of readings and after each one I have been giving him a small amount. One of his readings was in the 80s and I gave him some food, same thing with the next one it was in the 90s. Now I don't know if it would have come up without the food. Every day since he came home he has been eating more than the approved amount by his doctor, so I do not have an accurate picture of his readings. Today will be the 1st day. He would cry for food and I went ahead and gave him extra food, it is the same food he is supposed to eat, only more. So I am starting all over again.

30. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it's wise to have the vet on your side. That green is nice. You'll want to stick to a fat 3 u for a bit. Pay more attention to those mid cycle numbers than the PSs. They might be a bit higher because of short term bouncing.

31. Sue and Oliver (GA)

How much is he eating daily?

32. Teresa & Buddy

At +6 when he was @85 I gave him some RC and at +7 when he was at 98 I gave him some more RC , so I don't know if he came up because of the food or not. Yesterday and since he came home on 3u, I have over feed him.
    Maybe if I am feeding him the correct amount (I am today) 3u would be enough. I bought the YA so he would be able to eat more, but it raised his numbers. A 4lb bag of YA cost $30.00 and if Bud could eat it and not raise his BS it would be worth it.

33. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Is he overweight or underweight? I can't recall.

34. Kris & Teasel

If you feel better giving 3 u tonight, try that. It's possible that's a good dose for him.

35. Teresa & Buddy

You won't believe This I went to take a reading for Buddy tonight and it came back 594, every time I took a reading it was high like that. I called the # on the Reli-On Meter and talked to 2 different people and they both said the meter was working correctly. I about had a heart attack. I called his doctor ( thankfully you can reach him after hours) he told me to up his dose from 3u to 4u and if he had not come down 100 numbers in 3 or 4 hrs, to give him 1u more. He is allowed 3 -3oz cans of Royal Canin Glycobalance wet food daily. When I was trying to get a reading he still had 1 more can of food he could eat tonight. If he was low enough to have a bounce I did not know about it. Has anyone ever had this happen. This scares me.

36. Teresa & Buddy

He was over weight, but he is not now.

37. Teresa & Buddy

He is allowed 3-3oz cans of Royal Canin Glycobalance wet food daily. I must admit up until today since he came home I have been letting him have more than he was supposed to have. He only eating the Royal Canin.

38. Kris & Teasel

Those green numbers you had mid day could have caused this high black number. He dropped from an AMPS of 323 to 85 in 6 hours. That's a huge drop in a fairly short time. This is the first time you've seen a black number so it scared you. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT give more insulin in 3 or 4 hours. I see that you've already given 4 u. It's possible that he'll stay high this evening and overnight because of bouncing. The other possibility is that he'll drop low again and have to be steered with food. Do you have high carb food with gravy? Plenty of test strips?

Buddy might be overreacting/bouncing more than usual because he's still recuperating. His response to insulin might be different right now. You have to remember the saying we use often here: better too high for a day than too low for a minute. That high black is just one high number - it won't hurt him. However, giving him more insulin tonight is, in my opinion, too risky. It could cause a hypo and a bad hypo is very dangerous.

Reminder: bouncing can be caused by:
    1. BG dropping too low
    2. BG dropping lower than it has been even if it isn't that low
    3. BG dropping fast - ie., many points in a short time.

39. Teresa & Buddy

I am beginning to wonder if we need a different insulin.

40. Teresa & Buddy

I will not give him any more insulin tonight, now I wish I had not give him the 4u. I do have high carb food with gravy and I have 25 or 30 test strips. How long do you think it will take for him to go low or do you think I should just plan to stay up tonight.

41. Kris & Teasel

Too soon to tell, Teresa. I don't think you've got the kinks worked out with ProZinc yet and Buddy's illness/surgery have been a setback. Try sticking with it a little longer. You still have food issues to sort out and Buddy needs to recover fully.

I'd test him this evening at +2 and +3 because that 4 u dose is uncomfortably high.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  42. Kris & Teasel

Lesson for this evening: DON'T PANIC when you see a high number. ​

43. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi @wolfey! I'm just recently back here on the forum since my cat started showing higher numbers again. It looks like your sugar kitty has a lot going on! And you've been busy taking good care of him! While you're working on figuring out his food, I hope you'll forgive me for interjecting my story: when Sam was first diagnosed, our vet gave us the Royal Canin Glycobalance as well. It turns out that the main ingredients for that are pork by-products, chicken liver, chicken, wheat gluten, powdered cellulose, gelatin, wheat flour, modified corn starch. Sam is one of those cats that is pretty carb sensitive and he can't have anything with wheat or corn at all. The Royal Canin turned out to be a big part of the problem with his high numbers. Since you're still figuring out the best food for your kitty, I thought I'd toss that out there as something to consider. Every cat responds differently to different foods, so it may be fine for Buddy, but thought I'd mention it just in case that food might be impacting the numbers you're seeing.

44. Teresa & Buddy

I just tested at +2 he is @314, should things be worked out by +3, or should I plan to stay up late.

45. Teresa & Buddy

I had got Buddy off royal canin and he was eating FF classic before he went in for surgery. Since he has come home the only food he will eat is RC. I am waiting until more time has passed and he is better, then I am going to try to change him back to FF classic.

46. Kris & Teasel

He's already come down 280 points in only 2 hours. That's a lot. You might have a sleepless night ahead. Do you have honey, corn syrup or maple syrup in case you need to add a little of those to high carb food?

I have to sign off soon because I have an early outing tomorrow. Post on the main health forum if you need advice later. If you need it urgently put the red 911 icon at the front of your thread title.

47. Teresa & Buddy

I wish I had learned this lesson this morning.

48. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, I have maple syrup. I am already sleepy, hope I will know what to do.

49. Kris & Teasel

He might be fine. Cross fingers. :)

50. Teresa & Buddy

Don't know if I was wrong or not but from 7:30 to 10:55 Bud went from 594 to 99, so I gave him some FF grilled with gravy to prop him up. Is anyone out there.

51. Teresa & Buddy

What do you feed your kitty. Teresa & Buddy Wolfe

52. Pati

Pati Member

How did your night go Teresa?

53. Kris & Teasel

Checking in, Teresa. How did it go? I've just been to the main health forum to see if you put up a 911 last night. That's the way to get help ASAP.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  54. Teresa & Buddy

I was up until almost 3:00 a.m, he never got a chance to crash because when he started getting into the 80s, I started giving him FF grilled with gravy. He was a little high this morning but we are staying @3u.

55. Teresa & Buddy

I did
    I did not not put up a 911 call. When he started getting into the 80s I started feeding him FF grilled with gravy. He is a little high but for now we are @ 3u.

56. Kris & Teasel

Whew!! I'm relieved! On my way out soon.

57. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Teresa - I feel like I run a little kitty restaurant here! Their main food is Nature's Variety Instinct Raw either rabbit or chicken. They also eat some Fancy Feast classic - but they don't love it. Sometimes they get a little ziwi peak lamb. Sam was quite the kibble addict when we started this whole process and that seems to help when he gets a craving for something crunchier. And Stella and Chewy's chicken. I am sparing on that one since I don't have good information about the actual values.

Both cats are rather picky, but I've found that sprinkling a little Fortiflora on top will get them to try just about anything. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but they both go crazy for it. It really helped in getting Sam off the kibble, and onto wet food.

Do you already have the food chart? http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf That's a good place to start in looking at some of the values, and figuring out what Buddy can tolerate. I found figuring out the right food to be one of the most challenging (and one of the most important) parts of this whole process.

Sorry to see you were up so late/early last night. I hope you can get some rest today!

58. Pati

Pati Member

You'll need a nap today. :)
    I'm envious you are able to get green numbers so easily. :) I know it is scary because you don't know how low he would go if you didn't intervene. You've had a crash course in such a short time - how to steer with food if needed and not panicking over a single high number. I think if I recall you've also experienced the wonky strip situation - if the number doesn't seem right take it again.
    And you are your mom's caregiver? That and Buddy can be a lot of stress. How are you holding up?

59. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You're handling things so well, Teresa!

60. Teresa & Buddy

I did not want him to crash. Hopefully, everything will be under control soon.

61. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy loves kibble. I bought some YA for him but it increased his BG. He was eating FF classic before his surgery. He had started out with RC when we 1st found out he had diabetes, because that is what the vet wanted him to eat. When I found out about the FF classic I managed to get him off the RC and on the FF classic. Then when he came home after his surgery, he would not eat any of the food I could give him except for the RC. I want him to get well from his surgery, then I will change his food. His surgery was last Friday 2/3/17 and a pretty serious surgery.

62. Teresa & Buddy

My Mother is 95 years old and lives with me. I have 4 other cats and 2 of them are on medication also.

63. Pati

Pati Member

I was my mother's caregiver too. You are so lucky to have more time with your mom. I miss mine.

64. Teresa & Buddy

My Mother has lived with me since my husband passed away in 2008. In the beginning I did not want to be by myself, so she stayed with me. At my Mother's age 8yrs is a long time and things change a lot.

65. Teresa & Buddy

Do any of you leave your house and leave your diabetic cat home alone. What precautions do you take for the safety of your diabetic kitty if you should leave your house.

66. Teresa & Buddy

I appreciate you saying that, but really I don't think so.

67. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    I live alone and leave Teasel on his own almost every day. I rely on my knowledge of his responses for peace of mind while I'm out. I have almost 6 months of data on his SS to go by. Once in a while I've missed an outing because he threw me a low number but those are rare occurrences.

MiCo likes this.
  68. Pati

Pati Member

In reading many different threads I frequently see the phrase "if you can monitor" in terms of how aggressive one might be with dosing. If you can't be home a particular day then you wouldn't choose that day to increase the dose, make a diet change, or shoot a dose that previously dropped BG (too) low.

When we travel for our work we have a live in sitter. When we first adopted Morris she wasn't able to test him. We made any changes to his insulin the days we were here (and were conservative even then). I can test him the easiest so we still stick to making changes when we're home. Our sitter does AMPS, +6, and PMPS.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  69. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I used to leave Gypsy every day for work. My kitties are free feeders so there was food available. As Pati says, generally speaking, we try to make changes only when we can monitor, though I sometimes did it when I couldn't, but I was trying to get Gypsy's numbers down and it was more important to do that then wait for over a week usually. BUT...that was with lots of data and because of high numbers.

MiCo likes this.
  70. Teresa & Buddy

It scares me to go anywhere and Buddy be home alone.

71. Teresa & Buddy

I just took PM reading for Buddy he is @306 does anyone think I should give 3u or less.

72. Teresa & Buddy

I just took Pm reading for Buddy and he is eating right now, he is @306 and I have been giving him 3u do you think that is right or do you think he should have lower dose.

73. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy's PM reading is 306, do you think 3u would be too much

74. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

checking your SS, BRB!

75. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think 3 would be all right, as long as you can monitor. He's had that dose recently at a preshot of 331 which is basically the same as today.

If you feel uncomfortable with that, you can go down a bit.

76. Teresa & Buddy

77. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Why not drop to 2.75 then for peace of mind?

78. Kris & Teasel

I agree with Rachel. Give him 2.75 u so you can rest tonight, Teresa. A dose of 3 u would probably be OK but you can save it for tomorrow AM. I think when you've accumulated a lot more data and have learned more about how he responds you'll be able to leave him home alone for short periods without worrying.

79. Teresa & Buddy

I did not see your post till after shot of 2.5, which must have not been enough AMPS 478.

80. Teresa & Buddy

Did not see post until this a.m., I gave him 2.5 which was not enough, this AMPS was 478. I am going to try and go to church today and so is my Mother. Send Buddy prayers that he will be OK while I am gone to church, and later afternoon when I go to birthday party.

81. Kris & Teasel

He'll be OK, Teresa. You could give 2.75 u this AM. You need the experience of going out and coming home to find him in one piece to build your confidence. :)

Oops! I see that you gave 3 u. No problem. Test him when you're back from church - mid day-ish?

82. Teresa & Buddy

I am leaving in 1/2 hr., but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. At amps Buddy was @478 @+3 he was @402 and I gave him 3u. Hopefully he doesn't all of a sudden drop, should I leave out some RC wet.

83. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, leave out some food. He should be fine. He has gotten some nice blues lately. If you are home between church and birthday, check his levels.

84. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think he should be just fine, Teresa. 2.5 wasn't enough last night, BUT...you got some sleep right? We have to take care of ourselves too or else how can we care for our precious sugar cats? I think you made a good decision last night and he should be fine today. Just relax and enjoy yourself while you're out.

85. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you he was just fine.

86. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you he was just fine.

Rachel likes this.
  87. Teresa & Buddy

I wanted to ask because I really do not know. What number am I trying to achieve, and when do I reach this number because with this insulin you go down then up. When Buddy was first diagnosed with diabetes the doctor said she would be happy when he was at 250, I don't want to ask her what she meant because she gave him 5u when he was in on a curve. When he got home he was @41. At what number do you intervene and start trying to bring numbers back up. I should have been trying to find these things out a long time ago.

88. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We generally think of a kitty as regulated if they are in the lower 200s at preshot and in double digits at nadir (but above 50 which is near hypo range). These numbers are for human meters. Once in those ranges, you can fine tune to get him lower. We consider a cat in remission when they range from 40-120 without insulin for 2 weeks.

If he gets to 50, you would want to feed a little snack of regular food and retest in 20 minutes. If he continues to go down, then give a little of the gravy off higher carb food, retesting in 20 minutes. This is called steering with food. You can relax once he starts to go up and has 3 rising tests. Again those are human meter values.

Angel's mommie likes this.
  89. Teresa & Buddy

I have a human meter.

90. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think what your vet meant was 250 for a fructosamine, which is an average of BG numbers over several weeks. Since we home test, which is much safer and more accurate, Sue's numbers are what you are shooting for.

91. Teresa & Buddy

This morning I just took Buddy's BG he was @130, I did not give food. I am going to wait and retake I can't remember whether I should wait 10 or 20 min. Does anyone have any suggestions.

92. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woah! That's a low number. Okay, I'd wait 20 minutes without food and retest.

93. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm going to run and get ready for work, but I'll check back in before I leave, which will be within that time frame.

94. Teresa & Buddy

I just took it again and it is @129, and he is wanting to eat

95. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! Okay, well it doesn't look like he's going up. You can stall up to 60 min with no food and see if he does go up, but if you want to go ahead and feed him now, you can. However, I wouldn't shoot. I hate to say don't give him anything, but he's so prone to drop and I can't really advise shooting at that number...especially when he hasn't risen at all.

It's up to you. You can wait for a bit and try to retest, or go ahead and feed and skip. If you do that, he might be high tonight, but that's okay.

Pati likes this.
  96. Pati

Pati Member

If Rachel doesn't get back to advise and since Kris and Sue don't get here until a little later... you can go ahead and feed if you want and give no insulin this morning. You can also stall and check in 20 more minutes and see if he has risen to a shootable number. I find it hard to stall a hungry cat. :) If you skip his shot this am it may be that he has a higher PMPS so don't be upset by that.

97. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm heading out the door in just a sec. As Pati said, you have options to stall for a little bit longer and see if he has risen. But stalling a hungry cat is difficult, and kind of nerve wracking for you I imagine! So if you skip, don't feel bad...we'll get him back on track.

I'll check back in on you in half and hourish when I get to work, though Kris might be around by then. :)

98. Teresa & Buddy

It is time I can retest again, if his # has not risen I will give no insulin.

99. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

100. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.