Buddy's SS up and going 4th part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I stalled for an hour he came up to 225, I still was not sure, so I gave him 1.50u. It was not much, hope it wasn't too much.

2. Teresa & Buddy

I left the ProZinc out of the refrigerator for an hour, it was in its original pkg. and that was inside a container with a lid. I wonder if it is still good to give to Buddy. This is the 1st time it has been left out.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Should be fine. the numbers will tell the story.

4. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, please let me know what you think about me leaving the insulin out of the refrigerator for an hour

5. Teresa & Buddy

Yesterday Buddy was running low all day, so I was afraid he would crash with a larger dose. At 2:eek:o a.m. he was @474, and @7:00a.m. he was @497. Which just shows you never know. I have an appointment today, I will be worried to death while I'm gone.

6. Kris & Teasel

Not a problem, Teresa. I've done it before and the insulin was fine.

7. Kris & Teasel

His AMPS today was almost the same as yesterday's. At the same dose of 2.5 u he'll probably give you similar numbers to yesterday's. You got greens when you have this dose on a significantly lower AMPS. Try not to worry ... I know - easier said than done.

8. Teresa & Buddy

I am thinking about intervening before I leave and before his number gets too low, with FF gravy. I know this is something I would not want to do this all the time. It seems no matter what dose or his BG# is, I always give the wrong dose. I am getting weary and also worried about Buddy being here with y 95 yr old Mother. I have told her what to do if he starts acting weird, but he never shows any signs.

9. Teresa & Buddy

I did not give Buddy any FF grilled, but I did give him some extra RC.

10. Kris & Teasel

It's great to finally see a photo of your handsome Buddy, Teresa! Are you going to try 2.5 u tonight if his BG permits?

11. Teresa & Buddy

This photo of Buddy is not the best, it would have been nice to have caught him in a good moment. My daughter took this picture today, I was holding on to him and we had to put 1of his toys up next to him to get him to stay, however it is Buddy Cat. I must admit Buddy is very handsome and he is a really good cat. He is very easy to pill, give a shot or to prick his ear.
    Kris, I did not give Buddy 2.5u tonight, I chickened out and gave a F200. He was @324, he had a lot of RC wet today, I was expecting him to be higher. I hope I did not mess up again and give too small a dose again.

12. Teresa & Buddy

I would like an opinion if anybody has one. I overfed Buddy yesterday because I was going to be gone, This morning he is at 407, but he is not wanting to eat. He will take a couple of bites but that is all. Should I dose like normal, or hold back some.

13. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I am still new but looking at the past couple days, my opinion is to do the 2.5U again and his regular checks that you have been doing. Hopefully one of our ProZinc pros will be able to help more accurately.:)

14. Kris & Teasel

Is not wanting to eat something he does periodically? I know you said he's been feeling much better since his surgery. Maybe his tummy is upset from too much food yesterday? Can you get him to eat maybe a teaspoon or two so you can give him insulin? If you can, then give him the 2.5 u again and monitor.

15. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Yay Kris is here! I will go back to my corner :p

16. Kris & Teasel

Heck, no! Feel free to help. ;)

17. Teresa & Buddy

I am pleased to hear from you, I just gave him 2.25u. I am overly afraid of crashing. Glad to see you up early and checking things out. I have been reading your post on your kitty.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  18. Kris & Teasel

I see that you gave 2.25 u Teresa. Can you get him to eat just a little?

19. Kris & Teasel

My routine most mornings is to start checking FDMB by 8 AM (EST). Before that I'm feeding my three, looking after Teasel, etc. When I have things to do away from home I'm usually gone by 10 AM (EST) or shortly after.

20. Teresa & Buddy

Before I read your post I gave him 2.25, he is eating, but not starved like he is most mornings. Yesterday he was over feed. I am very cautious, maybe the reason why I don't have things under control.

21. Teresa & Buddy

He is eating again, just not starved.

22. Kris & Teasel

Being cautious is best as you're learning all of Buddy's responses. Eventually you'll have enough data on your SS and have been through enough different situations with him that you can be a little braver. Keeping him safe is your number one priority and that's what you've been doing.

I'm glad he's eating. ProZinc doesn't hit hard and fast so he doesn't need a full meal on board. Maybe a series of small snacks would suit his tummy better today.

23. Teresa & Buddy

Glad to know your schedule, I am going to check on my other 4 kittys

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  24. Teresa & Buddy

I think you are right.

25. Kris & Teasel

2.25 u this AM?

26. Teresa & Buddy

If that is what you think, then I will try it. I will be here all day.

27. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I think he needs a higher dose. See if you can hold it for today and tomorrow in case the dose changes are making him bounce a bit more.

28. Teresa & Buddy

I will try. Tomorrow I would like to go to church. I don't know about the dose in the morning, guess I will wait and see what his numbers are. As you know if I am at home or away, I get afraid and dose too low. This week I have 1 appointment on Tuesday, so after that I am going to up my doses for Buddy. The next week between my Mother and myself we have 3 appointments, that will be a bad week for dosing.

29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think you should definitely go to church if you want. I know it's scary, but you have to do things for yourself and get out now and then. Just a little time away can help you feel refreshed.

30. Teresa & Buddy

I am always afraid he will crash while I am gone. So on those days I over feed and under dose. Do you have a remedy.

31. Kris & Teasel

The only remedy, Teresa, is to keep gathering BG data and studying it to see his patterns. Look specifically at those times when he went low to see what dose you gave, what you fed (keep lots of notes!) whether he'd been bouncing a lot before, etc. Once you have learned his typical patterns you can say with more confidence, "If I give ____ units, he (probably) won't drop too low."

Another technique to see what sort of cycle he might have on a given day is to do AMPS, feed, give insulin then do a BG test at +1 and again at +2. If he's staying flat or moving down at those times it can be a signal that he might be ready to have what we call an "active" cycle - ie., one where he might go low and you'll have to test more and also be ready to feed small snacks to "steer" his BG.

A general guideline that can help is that a bounce can last up to 6 cycles on average before it stops. If you think he's in a bounce phase, count how may 12 hour cycles he's been in higher colours and when you reach 6 cycles, be ready for BGs to drop. It doesn't always work but it's something to be aware of.

There's really no way to learn the ropes except through experience of this type. Eventually you'll be able to get a sense of what he might do on a given day and feel more confident leaving the house.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  32. Teresa & Buddy

33. Teresa & Buddy

I think it is time to start a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.