Buddy's SS up and going 5th part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I gave him 2.25u this a.m., I am thinking about on any PMPS if he has a number in the 200 range about on those evenings giving him 2u or F2u. Buddy used to be chubby or slightly fat, now he is not. This weight loss may require less insulin. It dose seem that his numbers when not bouncing are getting lower.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The thinking is that if you can get them into lower numbers and keep them there more of the time they should bounce less.

3. Teresa & Buddy

I understand, I am just tired from being up in the night. If he had a number in the 70's in the day that would be alright, but in the middle of the night I want to stay up to make sure he does not go lower into the 60's. Which he did do.

4. Kris & Teasel

Bouncing yesterday. I see you gave a fat 2 u last night for safety. Will you try 2.25 u this AM?

5. Teresa & Buddy

Yes, I gave him 2.25u this morning. I will need to watch him closely while I'm home today, have an appointment this afternoon. I have been trying to get Buddy to eat FF classic, all he will do is a few bites at the most. The first time that I knew of that Buddy had pancreatitis he got food aversion and would not eat any canned food (pate). He had been eating only Purina OM dry, one day I gave him FF grilled with gravy and he loved it. He was eating the FF grilled when he got sick, since this is not a good food for diabetics, he is eating RC wet. Yesterday I gave Buddy some YA and he liked it, he likes dry food. I hope this not change his BG. I think it did the first time he tried it. Do you know of anyone who feeds the YA only to their cat.

6. Kris & Teasel

Have you tried Friskies pates? There are a few who feed YA only but it's still better overall to have wet food - more hydration.

7. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy was eating Friskies pate when he got food aversion. I have got him at times to eat a few bites of FF classic and Friskies pate. I know it is better for him to eat a wet food, he is still eating can of RC wet at shot time. Just trying to see how other cats are doing with the YA only, which is what Buddy would prefer.

8. Kris & Teasel

@JanetNJ fed it to her kitty and he did well on it.

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom has a kitty that also does not eat canned. I think she feeds NV Instinct Ultimate Protein. It's in her signature but also tagged her if she has any tips for you @wolfey :)

10. Kris & Teasel

Sometimes you just have to feed what they'll eat willingly and dose around that.

11. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I leave bowls of YA out for my kitties to graze on, I have an older civvie who won't eat wet food. It doesn't seem to affect Hermione's blood sugar but ECID. Her main meal at shot times is Primal Freeze-dried Raw turkey, though, so she doesn't eat YA exclusively - more as a snack.

12. Teresa & Buddy

13. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Sorry, I didn't notice how new you are to the forum (I had computer trouble for over a month) and didn't realize you might not be up on our "slang" ;)

Civvie = non-diabetic kitty. ECID = Every Cat Is Different

Hermione is my diabetic kitty, diagnosed August 2016. Her blood sugar numbers are notoriously difficult to regulate :p

When I started feeding YA to my gang (I had 5 cats at the time, only Hermione is diabetic) I started with a small bowl of it next to each bowl of the old food. One of my cats loved it so much she went from bowl to bowl eating it all, then threw it right back up again :banghead: So I made sure to pick up the YA bowls when everyone ate until her excitement wore off. Once everyone was good with it I increased the amount in the bowl of YA and decreased the bowl of old food until it was gone.

My cats each have food bowls in different rooms, and I keep YA out for them at all times. My cats are all used to being free-fed, however, so if Buddy is used to eating only at set mealtimes I'd keep feeding him that way instead. Some cats don't show much change in blood sugar on YA, for others it causes spikes just like a high-carb food. Also the high protein and fat content can cause some cats to have stinky diarrhea too...

Kris is right, though. The most important thing is that Buddy eats. In an ideal world our cats would all eat only what was best for them, but we all know cats refuse to obey rules :cat: So we have to find the food that best works for their medical needs AND they will eat.

14. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy had always been free-fed, until he was diagnosed with diabetes on 12/26/16. The vet who diagnosed Buddy gave me a list with several different prescription diets and how much he would be allowed to eat for each food. Buddy is still eating one of the wet foods, but he likes dry food too. I can only get him to take a few bites of FF classic or Friskies pate. I will need to feed more YA to see if it makes his BG spike. I saw that you live in Ohio, I live in Indiana, right on the state line to Ohio.
    //

15. Yong & Maury GA

Oh good to know! Now I don't have to bother Janet again lol. Just got my YA bag today so I've been increasing the transition amount. Kept it kind of restricted to make the sample bag last :) I've heard it working for quite a few kitties and I hope it doesn't impact Maury's BG levels too. *Fingers crossed*

wolfey, definitely give the Flaked varieties a try: Friskies Flaked Tuna and Flaked Tuna with Egg. Mix in a little water so it's like a stew consistency :)

16. Teresa & Buddy

I will try the Friskies, are you only going to feed the YA, or are you going to feed wet food also.

17. Yong & Maury GA

I am still going to give him wet food for his AM and PM meals.

18. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy is still getting 1 can RC wet for his AM & PM meals, but he really is wanting the YA. I have been giving him a small amount, if not he would eat it all. The Friskies you mentioned is it on the low carb list.

19. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

Looks like Buddy is still bouncing. Keep this dose another cycle or two to see if the bouncing stops. If it doesn't you could try 2.5 u to see if it moves his numbers down. Only when you can monitor, of course.

20. Teresa & Buddy

I have been giving Buddy a small amount of YA for a few days. His BG seems to be some higher and doesn't seem to go down as much.
    If this continues next week, I will be giving him 2.5 u. I must say I think his coat is looking better and he seems to have more energy.

21. Teresa & Buddy

I guess I was wrong again @AMPS+4 was 217 down from 359 @ shot time, the norm for Buddy is to take a dive @ +6 & +7. He will probably go down more before going up.

ShipsCat likes this.
  22. Yong & Maury GA

Yes, actually the new chart listed them a tiny bit lower than the first chart (Dr. Lisa's updated one). Friskies Flaked Tuna with Egg - 6% and Flaked Tuna in sauce - 4%

23. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    I see you gave 2.25 u again. He's been bouncing and staying high. Teasel did that a lot and it would cause him to get "stuck" up there. I had to boost his dose just a little to get him moving again. The stay in high numbers can create a bit (reversible) of insulin resistance.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  24. Teresa & Buddy

I know he needs an increase, since he has been eating YA his numbers are not coming down as they did before. My Mother has a appointment today and it is right at the time he takes a dip. He has not been bumped up because of the appointments. I could bump him up tomorrow & Saturday, then on Sunday I go to church. If he is going down a lot maybe I could feed him a little more, or give him a little less ProZinc @AMPS Sunday. I have 1 appointment next week and except for Church on Sunday, I don't have to go anywhere for about 1 week, maybe take 1 or 2 cats to vet. How is Teasel, does he ever seem nauseated. At least 1 day this week, I have gave Buddy medicine for nausea to get him to eat.

ShipsCat and Rachel like this.
  25. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

I'd try 2.5 u whenever you have time to monitor him. I think he's a bit stuck at 2.25 u and needs a little jolt to get him moving. How is he feeling?

26. Kris & Teasel

Also - I think it's time to start a new thread. This one is very long.

27. Teresa & Buddy

I bought Buddy the Friskies Flaked Tuna with Egg, added some water and he loved it. I read some where that you should feed cats fish 1 or 2 times a week, what else do you feed, maybe Buddy would like that also.

28. Teresa & Buddy

I gave Buddy 2.5 u @AMPS. also ordered syringes like you use. Maybe if he needs a little more or less, it will be easier to dose. I am starting a new thread.

29. Kris & Teasel

I think it's fish no more than 1 -2 times a week. Teasel get fish variety Friskies every Friday. He loves it. Every other day, it's chicken, turkey or similar Friskies mostly and Fancy Feast occasionally. I'm lucky that he's a really good eater.

30. Teresa & Buddy

I was very happy that Buddy ate the Friskies fish with egg this morning. I am trying to find different things I can get him to eat sometimes besides RC wet. I got from Chewy yesterday 3 cases of RC wet, hoping I can find some foods he will eat so I will not need to order RC wet as often. I have in my cabinets about every kind of Friskies pate and FF classic that you can find in this area, and sometimes he will take a few bites, then other times he doesn't want it. When you give Teasel Friskies, do you let him have the whole can. Just wondering what amount other can owners give to their kitty's. I also yesterday bought some 9 Lives Pate to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.