Buddy's SS up and going 8th part about dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Teresa & Buddy, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I need help!! I cannot find the right dose for Buddy cat.

2. Teresa & Buddy

Kris, Thank you, I inserted the blank line.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You're getting there, Teresa :bighug:. We just want to keep the increases small so you don't miss his ideal dose :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You'll get there, Teresa. Try not to panic. Slow, careful increases are the safe way to do it. You can increase after 3 cycles if a dose isn't working. Every 2 days (4 cycles) is also good so you can increase for an AM dose. If Buddy needs more insulin it's not a failing on your part. He needs what he needs.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hang in there! Sending you hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Teresa & Buddy

I was joking, but I would like to find the correct dose. I keep wondering about what he is eating, if it is causing a problem. Buddy did have part of his pancreas taken out, maybe he needs more insulin because of that. I just don't know. I am always no drama, I will not panic.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you.

8. Teresa & Buddy

I know. That is what I want also.

9. Djamila

He had part of his pancreas removed? Why? I wonder how that impacts all of this?

10. Teresa & Buddy

Sorry, I did not see your post until this morning. Buddy has a history of pancreatitis, I believe that is why he is diabetic. I found out on 12/26/16 he was diabetic, at that time he was hospitalized. On 3/3/17 he was also hospitalized for being sick. His doctor saw something on an X-ray and decided he needed surgery. In that surgery the tail of his pancreas, spleen, surrounding tissue and fat were removed. All of these were inflamed, he said that he removed all of the inflamed tissue. He thought that this would help Buddy, but he did not how it would affect it have on his insulin needs. Since his need for insulin is going up, I thought maybe this has something to do with it and maybe eating too much. I really do not know how much he should be eating, but I have an idea on how much.

11. Teresa & Buddy

I was trying to be funny when I put on this thread, HELP!!!. I do wish someone had a magic ball and would let me know what dose to give Buddy to make his diabetes well controlled, but don't all of us.

12. Djamila

I am curious if the missing pancreas parts might be a factor. Just keep going with the methodical increases and I guess we'll find out in time, huh?

13. Yong & Maury GA

I came across a formula to figure out how many calories a kitty should eat per day. :cat:
    Cat's weight (or desired weight in lbs) x 13.6 + 70 = Required calories per day
    If you feed more than twice a day, divide by that.

Example on Maury: 14 x 13.6 +70 = 260.4 calories per day. I feed him 4 times a day so he should get at least 65.1 calories per meal.

14. Teresa & Buddy

That is wonderful !!! I am not for sure how much Buddy weighs at this time, I do know how much he did weigh before all this started in December 2016.
    This will give me a good idea how many calories he should have until I can get him on a scale. Thank you.

15. Teresa & Buddy

The doctor said he did not know, but it would seem that he would need more insulin if part of his pancreas is gone. Djamila, your kitty is doing well.

Djamila likes this.
  16. Djamila

Yes, he seems to be headed in the right direction, but only time will tell. And he survived seven cycles with the pet sitter (meaning hardly any insulin since she couldn't monitor) without too much trouble. Although his poor ears were badly bruised, and still look kind of awful. I'm trying to be very gentle with his tests right now to give him some time to heal.

17. Yong & Maury GA

For Maury's weight, I weigh myself a few times to make sure the reading is more accurate. Then I pick him up and do the same. The difference is his weight :cat:

18. Teresa & Buddy

How do you keep their ears from getting badly bruised, is that where the inside of their ears are kind of a rosy pink. If that is bruised, Buddy's ears have been bruised for a long time.

19. Teresa & Buddy

I don't have a scale, so if anyone asks me what I weigh I can say I don't know and be telling the truth.

20. Djamila

Sam has dark colored ears, so I can only see the bruises when there is a light shining towards his ear (flashlight, window, lamp, etc.) Then I can see dark spots along the vein/edge of his ear. I scoop the blood and then immediately apply pressure to his ear so it doesn't bruise. The pet sitter was just learning (and I'm super proud of her!), so trying to juggle the strip and the meter and the poke and the blood was a lot already. Plus, Sam now (mostly) sits still for me, but with her, he was running off the second she let go of him, so she couldn't quite manage the "apply pressure" part. The bruises will heal - he's going to be fine. They just make me cringe a little when I see them.

I don't know how Buddy feels about the vet, but my vet lets me stop by with Sam to weigh him on occasion. I do the same method as Yong at home, but sometimes it's nice to have a more precise number since Sam is a little prone towards chubby.

21. Teresa & Buddy

I cringe when I see Buddy's ears and I am the only one doing all the poking. Since Buddy's surgery he is really scared at the vet. The last time I took him in to the vet he was shaking and really scared. He cried all the way there, this is really a shame because before surgery he did not mind going to the vet. I think the reason was whenever I took him to the vet before it was for pancreatitis and they gave him something to make him feel better.

Djamila likes this.
  22. Djamila

Probably not worth taking him in just to get weighed then! Hopefully as a little more time passes he'll settle down again. Sam doesn't mind the front of the vet, but when they take him in the back you can hear him roar and growl like a lion. I alternate between laughing because it's such an incredible sound, and crying because I know he's scared. The couple of times he's had his dental, they always call me to come get him early since he's so loud! :rolleyes:

23. Teresa & Buddy

We love them sooo much.

24. Yong & Maury GA

Some people purchase a baby scale to weight their kitty, so you can still say you truly don't know your weight because you can't fit on baby scale :joyful:

I also think Orange / buff / lighter kitties may show a little more "damage" because their skin is a little more sensitive. I could be wrong :p but I think it's like people. Fairer skin is thinner and bruises and scratches easier than darker skin, which tends to be thicker.

25. Teresa & Buddy

I have thought of the baby scale, just have not got one yet. Buddy is blonde and I agree about the skin tones.

26. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

I bought a digital baby scale online when Teasel was diagnosed and it works really well for tracking his weight and also his brother's. His brother isn't diabetic but has been on a very slow, safe weight loss program since last July 2016. We've been successful with that. :) Here's a link to a scale like Teasel's:
    https://www.amazon.com/Health-meter...1492344850&sr=8-2&keywords=digital baby scale

Teasel's ears are white on the outer edges and they do show little bruised spots in the testing area. These seem to heal quickly. I always put some pressure on the area after each poke.

27. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,

Time to try 4.2 u I think. He IS making progress - there's a lot more yellow on his SS and the PSs are lower. Don't be afraid of the higher dose. Buddy needs what he needs and that partial pancreas removal might well be having an effect.

28. Yong & Maury GA

Let's get you some blues again! :bighug::cool:

29. Teresa & Buddy

I just got a chance to enter Buddy's info, this morning I gave him 4.2. Yesterday before I left for church I gave him some extra food and you can really tell it in his BG numbers. For some reason I am not afraid to up his dose anymore, but I am afraid of where this is going to stop at.

30. Teresa & Buddy

That would be nice.

31. Yong & Maury GA

It might be possible once he's on a higher dose for a while you may start coming back down. That's what is happening with Maury. :bighug::)

32. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad you're OK with increasing his dose but don't worry about where you'll end up. Once you crack through that ceiling they can often start coming down as Yong said

33. Teresa & Buddy

What is the highest dose you gave Maury and what is he taking now. Hopefully, this will give me something to look forward to.

34. Yong & Maury GA

Highest Maury got was 3.0U, we're now trying F2.0U. Don't be discouraged though, this is just for Maury :)

35. Teresa & Buddy

For some reason Buddy is not eating as much as usual today, but at PMPS his BG number was 324. I know he has been much higher, but with that much insulin and not eating as much today, you would think he would have some lower numbers. Maybe one of the reasons why I am OK with the increase of his dose, with the u100 syringes it doesn't look like much.

36. Kris & Teasel

There are many things that affect BG, Teresa. How much he eats is only one. It's almost impossible to explain individual numbers. Just look at his SS as a whole to assess how he's doing.

37. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy has had a partial pancreatectomy, so I guess he would maybe need more insulin than most cats. As long as Buddy is alright I will not get discouraged. Thank you for your encouragement.

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  38. Teresa & Buddy

I will. Thank you.

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

One thing I've noticed is usually when they hit that dose that breaks through for them, they suddenly start sliding down the scale quickly! You'll get there. :)

40. Teresa & Buddy

41. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy finally went blue today at AMPS +7, he was at 127. He has not been eating as much lately. He wants FortiFlora on his wet food sometimes or he will not eat. He has been eating some YA also.

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  42. Kris & Teasel

YES!!!! I knew he'd get there! :D You're not out of the woods yet, Teresa, but this is a lovely blue nadir. Do you think he's not eating as much because he doesn't feel well? It could also be down to better BG numbers. I'd use the FortiFlora if it helps.

43. Teresa & Buddy

44. Yong & Maury GA

Yay we knew you'd see a blue soon, Teresa! Like Kris said, not out of the woods yet but this is a good sign! Maury's appetite decreased with better BG numbers. At least, that's what I'm attributing it to because there are no other signs of an issue :)

45. Teresa & Buddy

I am hoping that is true with Buddy also.

46. Djamila

It looks like that's the lowest number he's seen in awhile! Sam holds out for the fortiflora sometimes too. Our kitties are so spoiled! (but hey, whatever it takes to get them to eat!)

47. Teresa & Buddy

It is 1 of his lowest numbers. The fortiflora is like everything else, too expensive. With Buddy you cannot just sprinkle a little bit on his food, he wants it to cover everything.

Djamila and Rachel like this.
  48. Kris & Teasel

Almost a blue nadir! :)

49. Teresa & Buddy

He came pretty close, but we will get there again. I am glad you noticed.

50. Teresa & Buddy

I feel that Buddy needs a dose increase. My problem is that I will be gone most of the day today and again on Sunday. Does anyone think my holding off a dose increase until Monday would cause a problem, or should I go ahead with a dose increase on Saturday. I will be home on Saturday but not on Sunday.

51. Djamila

I think either Saturday or Monday would be fine. You have enough data to be pretty confident that he'll still be in safe numbers with the increase, so I think you could go ahead with it on Saturday if you want....or wait until Monday if you're more comfortable.

52. Teresa & Buddy

I was also thinking of using a u40 syringe and raising him tomorrow to 4.5u. After several doses if numbers are not moving in the right direction, then go back to u100 and raise him to 4.6. What are your thoughts on this.

53. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Saturday would be fine if you feel comfortable with it.

54. Djamila

I think those tiny changes are significant if you're dose is small, but at higher doses, I don't think it matters as much. If you were giving him 1u, then the difference between 0.9u and 1.0 units is 10%. But the difference between 4.5u and 4.6u is only about 2%. I also get nervous about switching between syringes just because it's so easy to get them mixed up and give the wrong dose. That being said, it is always up to you to decide what you think is best, and what you're comfortable with. I think going from 4.4 to 4.6 would be safe though, if you feel okay with it. If you're not comfortable with that, I think it's fine to go up by the 0.1u change.

55. Yong & Maury GA

I agree with the others that Saturday is probably OK, but only if you are comfortable with it :)

56. Kris & Teasel

For simplicity's sake I'd stick with the U100s and try 0.4 u increases if you feel that 0.2 u isn't doing much. I also agree that you can increase either on Saturday or Monday.

57. Teresa & Buddy

I would rather do small increases, 0.2u is enough at a time for me. I am going to see what kind of numbers I come up with today, I may increase tomorrow but no more than 0.2u.

58. Kris & Teasel

I like that pre shot last night. Keep up with the increases. :)

59. Teresa & Buddy

I am glad you noticed. If I say anything about Bud's numbers it seems to jinx the outcome. Hope Teasel is continuing to improve.

60. Kris & Teasel

Yes, Teasel seems to be fine today. His numbers have been very good too.

61. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy seems to be the only kitty having problems with his numbers. It is time for Teasel to have good numbers, maybe the insulin change helped.

62. Yong & Maury GA

Getting some nice blue nadirs, Buddy! :cool:

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  63. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you for noticing, but he has also some not so nice pinks.

64. Kris & Teasel

The blues are the evidence of what the dose can do, Teresa, whereas the pinks are mild bounces.

65. Yong & Maury GA

So does Maury, but like Kris said, the blues and greens they get to shows what the dose is doing :bighug:

66. Teresa & Buddy

I do not have Buddy's numbers posted yet, but he went up to 4.8 u this morning.

67. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy's numbers are not posted yet, but he went up to 4.8u this morning. I will be keeping a close eye on him.

68. Teresa & Buddy

It would not hurt my feelings if all of Buddy's readings were blue. I think Buddy's pancreas needs a rest.

69. Kris & Teasel

You'll get there! :) Those blues that poke through are good signs.

70. Teresa & Buddy

How long should I stay on a dose before upping it and that is if I don't see much of a change in Buddy's numbers. I have seen somewhere where it said to do 6 doses before changing. Since Buddy is insulin resistant, I have not always gave 6 doses before I upped his dose. Do you know anything about Vitamin E & Selenium helping to get over insulin resistance. I have looked for Vitamin E before and all I could find was gel capsules in a larger dose. I did not know we would get so many smiles.

71. Kris & Teasel

For ProZinc you can increase after 3 cycles if the dose isn't effective. I think those cycles where you aren;t getting any blue are mild bounces.

72. Teresa & Buddy

Tonight at PMPS his reading was 311, at AMPS his reading was 361. He is eating the same as before, I must admit he does not get any exercise. At his next increase he will be at 5u, this is getting scary. I am afraid of all the damage this is doing to his body. I guess the only thing I can do is just keep up with the increases and hope we finally reach the right amount.

73. Yong & Maury GA

He would be doing worse if you weren't doing anything, Teresa :bighug:. We're here with you and Buddy :cat:. I think you're on the right patch with those sneek-peak blues :)

74. Teresa & Buddy

I know he would be doing worse if he did not get the increases in insulin. Have you heard of giving Selenium and Vitamin E to help with insulin resistance. I like the smiley faces.

75. Yong & Maury GA

I can do my thing tomorrow for you :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:. I'll get back to you :). The smiley faces help me soften my words. I can be very straightforward blunt, usually with good intentions but can be hard to detect without them ;)

76. Teresa & Buddy

I have never felt like you were straightforward blunt, sometimes people do not get that this is serious. If I am not on line, please go ahead and post. Thank you.

77. Djamila

I'm really curious about the missing part of his pancreas and the impact of that. Yong, maybe you could do your research magic on that topic, too. What I've found about it is that depending on how much and which part was removed, it could mean that he is just fine and can still produce insulin on his own (with healing time), or it could also mean that he isn't going to produce any insulin on his own anymore. Which could indicate that he's going to need higher doses than some of the other kitties around here. I wonder if your vet could shed some light on that -- what exactly did he remove, and what does he expect the outcome to be from that? Knowing that might impact how he's dosed, and even which insulin would be best for him.

78. Yong & Maury GA

Added to list :bookworm:

Teresa & Buddy and Kris & Teasel like this.
  79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yong is our research librarian! :)

80. Kris & Teasel

I'm glad Yong will research this because I think that might well be affecting Buddy's need for insulin. He is responding but the dose might end up being higher as a result of the surgery.

81. Teresa & Buddy

Buddy on 2/3/2017 had the tail of his pancreas removed and surrounding tissue. I asked his vet if he thought this removal would make a difference in his insulin need, he told me he did not know. He is aware of what insulin Buddy takes because one of the other doctors at his clinic prescribed it for him at time of diagnosis. The only reason I have not called about this is because he will want me to bring him in for a curve. Maybe I do need to call just to see what his ideas are, but all the doctors always want him to take a huge amount of insulin. At one time one of the doctors jumped him from 3u to 5u of ProZinc while doing a curve, when he came his BG was 41. This was before the removal of his pancreas. I am at a loss here, tonight I am raising his dose to 5u. I must be out of the house today, or I would call the doctor. Hopefully, maybe Yong will find something.

82. Teresa & Buddy

I decided to stay at home and call the doctor. He was with patients and is double booked, they left him a message to call me. I thought maybe Buddy needed to be checked for infection or some other problem. I don't like to take Buddy to the vet and leave him, because the first vet he saw at this clinic had me bring him in for a curve, she told me he would be there all day and he ended up being there 3 days and 2 nights. The original dose of insulin she had Buddy on was 3u. When I went to pick Buddy up she told me that Buddy was taking 5u of insulin. I was a little upset because she kept him so long, when we got home having a problem never entered my mind. At that time I had not been home testing because Buddy would try to get away from me, I had a few times ran a BG test on him but his doctor had told me most people do not check cats, so I did not either. For some reason that evening I wanted to run a BG test on him, he ran from me, hid under the furniture and did everything to keep me from testing him. Some how I managed to run a test after wasting lots of test strips, and lots of trying to get away. His number came back as 41, I thought something was wrong with the monitor, so I called the phone number on the box and they ran some testing with me, they said monitor is working, that is a correct number. I about flipped out, being scared to death and knowing nothing about feline diabetes. I managed to get Buddy and check him again this time his number was 35. I called the clinic's number and got the vet Buddy sees now, he told me what to feed him and if he got up to a certain number how much insulin to give him. He said if he got to 120 to give him to 2u of insulin, which I did not do. He is a very good doctor, but they all want to over dose the insulin. The next day I started posting on FDMB. I have not went to the doctor about insulin questions because of their dosing, he did however operate on Buddy. When I picked Buddy up I asked him if the surgery would change his insulin needs, at that time he did not know. When we talked about this surgery he seemed to say it was not uncommon to have this surgery and he had done this surgery on a small dog earlier in the week. He was back home within 4 days. From that time on I have relied on FDMB.

83. Kris & Teasel

Hi Teresa,
    You're getting more yellow PSs overall and that's progress. There might not be a definite answer about the effect of Buddy's surgery on his insulin dose. I think your gradual increases will get somewhere eventually and you can't let the size of the dose worry you. He needs what he needs. Some of the high dose kitties here get 20+ units of insulin per dose.

84. Teresa & Buddy

I was afraid that maybe he had a health issue going on that was causing his insulin resistance. His litter box is in the room with my computer and his urine smells really strong. So I thought maybe his doctor needed to check him out to see if everything else is alright, especially since we had the wetting on the floor for a while.

85. Kris & Teasel

Those could be signs of a UTI and that can raise BG. Maybe a vet check is a good idea.

86. Yong & Maury GA

Initial findings: I have more :bookworm:
    For partial pancreatectomy, can result (or cause) in a cat, dog, or human being mildly to moderately diabetic. Animals may be less likely to go into remission BUT it's still possible. More important to stay with low carb diets.
    Initial findings for Supplements:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...icity-insulin-resistance-antioxidants.176712/
    Looking good for supplements Vit E and Selenium :)

87. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel @Yong I just took Buddy's BG it is at 207,do you think he should have 4.8u tonight. It is usually not this low.

88. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, he was diabetic before the pancreatectomy. I will check this out, I am taking him to see the vet tomorrow to make sure everything is alright.

89. Teresa & Buddy

@Kris & Teasel @Yong @Djamila I have a question tonight Buddy's reading was 207, it has not been this low at AMPS or PMPS since I have been raising his dose. Should I give him the 4.8u tonight.

90. Yong & Maury GA

Hey Teresa, I would not give 4.8U tonight. Might drop it down to 2.5U with your usual +3 and +6 tests.

91. Yong & Maury GA

Hopefully the others will chime in. Might not need to go down that much but like you said this is a first :)

92. Yong & Maury GA

23 January AMPS and 6 February PMPS was the only time he's had a similar number but that was a while ago.

It's possible you found the breakthrough dose :cat:

93. Teresa & Buddy

Thank you, I thought all of you were gone for the night. I posted a new thread asking for help because I did not know what to do

94. Yong & Maury GA

Not gone for the night yet. Sorry I would've been on a little earlier but had to talk to the neighbour. I'm trapped on my back porch due to some construction and had to ask them to put my recycling down with theirs lol. I don't think it would have gone well if I tried to throw it :D

95. Teresa & Buddy

Would that not be wonderful, I am going to give him 2.5 tonight. I am so glad you answered, I thought you had logged off for
    I understand we all have other things going on, I appreciate your help.

96. Yong & Maury GA

Also, more of what I did today :bookworm:. Wasn't able to find much on effects of partial pancreatectomy but here's what I have for that and the vitamin supplements:
    "Canine and Feline Endocrinnology" by Edward C. Feldman
    Most diabetic cats can be regulated with insulin doses (Lantus / Levemir / Prozinc: Intermediate / long-acting insulin's) between 0.5U and 3.0U BID.

In cats, insulin resistance is most commonly caused by severe obesity, chronic renal failure, chronic pancreatitis, stomatitis/oral infections, hyperadrenocorticism, and hypersomatotropism (acromegaly). Latter two have potential of the most severe insulin resistance.

Tests beyond physical exams: BCB, serum biochemical panel, lipase / fPLI serum T4 concentration, Insulin-Like Growth Factor - 1 (IGF-1), urinalysis and urine culture, and abdominal ultrasonography are next steps.
    *Glucose targets should be set less tight, and the insulin dose chosen with the aim of avoiding hypoglycemia, very severe hyperglycemia, and DKA.

Selenium can facilitate in improving Hyperlipidemia (High cholesterol)

"A Feline Model of Experimentally Induced Islet Amyloidosis"
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1885761/

Margarethe Hoenig,* Gregory Hall,* Duncan Ferguson,* Katherine Jordan,†‡ Michael HensonKenneth Johnson,†‡ and Timothy O’Brien

In reference to a partial pancreatectomy: The insulin release pattern was the first to change. First phase insulin release became delayed and smaller, whereas second phase became more exaggerated.

"The Journal of Metabolic Research Vol.1" Edited by Frederick Madison Allen
    "Effect of selenium and vitamin E supplements on tissue lipids, peroxides, and fatty acid distribution in experimental diabetes."

Douillet C1, Bost M, Accominotti M, Borson-Chazot F, Ciavatti M.

In diabetic rat liver, a significant drop in triglycerides and phospholipids (P < 0.05) was observed; this was modulated by Se + vitamin E supplementation. Se + vitamin E supplementation also inhibited the decrease in 18:2n-6 and the increase in 22:6n-3 observed in liver of diabetic rats, changes which reflect altered glycemic control.

http://www.petcathealth.info/supplements-for-cat-diabetes/
    “Combination of chromium, vitamin E, and selenium have proven benefits against feline diabetes. Chromium stimulates insulin action. Insulin must initially mingle with chromium in order to effectively release the tissues to glucose and the production of energy. There are experiments that show that insulin is nearly ineffective devoid of sufficient chromium to create energy. Processed cat dry food is typically deficient in chromium. Studies also reveal that chromium supplementation reduces blood sugar.

Vitamin E and selenium are valuable antioxidants that can help care for the blood vessels and other tissue from accelerated corrosion impairment caused by lofty blood sugar levels.”

Good forms are chromium nicotinate, chromium histidinate, chromium picolinate and glucose tolerance factor chromium (GTF).

Djamila likes this.
  97. Teresa & Buddy

You have been a very busy lady, I really appreciate all of your help. You do not need to look any more, it will probably take me a year to check this all out.

98. Yong & Maury GA

lol ok. I was going to ask if you wanted the rest. I was still analyzing 3 articles :)

99. Djamila

Sorry I was teaching a class tonight...just got back to a computer. Glad you and Yong got it all sorted!

A friend of mine is all about naturopathic pet care and she suggested the chromium and selenium for Sam too. Lazy me never went and found it, but I also have a book that lists it. Might be worth checking out!

100. Kris & Teasel

I've been away from my computer and am just reading now. That's a terrific PS, Teresa! I'm glad Yong was here to help. He should be safe with 2.5 u. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.