Bugs on cat grass? Assuming this can't hurt him, just checking.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Charlie M, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie M

Charlie M Member

To help out with removing Smokey's treats, I planted a planter full of organic cat grass, in organic soil. After it grew nicely I brought it in for him to be able to munch on when he wants (he doesn't seem to throw it up...regular grass he does). I just saw him looking at it, and poking his nose in it. It's covered in little green bugs! I'm assuming it's just aphids, and assuming they won't hurt him. But thought I'd check. I've put it outside, and cleaned the entire area.

I ussually treat my plants for aphids, and other bugs...but smokey doesn't touch them, and he's kept inside for at least 3 days after anything has been treated. (Treatment says pet safe...but we like to be safer yet). Won't use anything on something I expect he'll eat!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Our area was overrun with aphids a few years ago. Aphids can bite/sting humans. So did the lady bugs that a lot of people bought to control the aphids. Don't know if aphids could get through all that cat hair. Taking the plants back outside and giving them a good blast with a high power hose will knock a lot of them off.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Should be fine. I had my cats eat crickets without proboems

4. Charlie M

Charlie M Member

Oh! I didn't know they could bite, and sting! Makes sense why he's been wanting brushing so much the last couple of days. Think I'll just keep it outside from now on...we have finally found cooked lamb chops cut into treat sized pieces works well for his treats (food allergies). I'll give a good spray before he goes out from now on.

Smokey loves hunting grass hoppers! Unfortunately we don't have many this year...he keeps watching for them though...seems a little disappointed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.