Bupe dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amy and Six, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Lyle's flare up appears to be continuing after a good couple of days. Vomit twice this evening. Gave pepcid. No fluids. I forgot the fluids on Saturday...thought I would be safe until his follow-up visit 4/25. Temp 102.4.

Have bupe and never given to him. Want to verify dose - .2cc (he's 15 lbs).

Thoughts?

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Fluids are an important part of treating p-titis flares, especially if your cat is vomiting. I would not wait.
    Can you get some to give at home?
    Do you have anything other than pepcid for nausea? Is he eating ok?
    If he is still vomiting /nauseous and not eating well. I would check in w/ your vet.
    ondansetron has been very successful in helping many p-titis kitties w/ nausea.
    Cerenia is good to stop vomiting. They can both be used together if necessary.

Pain treatment is also a very important part of treating p-titis.
    Is that the dose your vet calculated for you ?
    .2cc is the dose I usually use on my civie when he has a CP flare. ECID !

3. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Thanks Cheryl.

I gave the .2cc dose - what the vet recommended. Lyle was hospitalized last Monday night through Saturday for his first attack of p-titis. He was on IV fluids from Monday night until Saturday (as well as other recommended treatment). He had two really good days (normal bheavior, eating, no vomiting, no fever) at the vet before we brought him home.

We did not have the cerenia in the house...the vet had us look.

His p-titis took us all by surprise...he's a civie in the house. He's 6 years old and healthy. Vet and I both suspect food since all cats moved over to LC in January regardless of what some of the lit says.

He did ok over night. Slept. No vomiting. Wants food, but not his lower fat food so he hasn't eaten anything yet this morning. Did give him his Zentonil (Sam-E) overnight - kept that down.

He's being dropped off this morning at 8am for fluids and other necessary meds. I'll pick him up after work. We will make sure we have everything before we leave (out vet is 40 minutes away)...we foolishly thought we would be ok until Monday to pick up the fluids when we realized we forgot. Lyle already had a check-up planned to run another spec-fPl next Monday 4/26

4. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

glad to hear he will be getting some extra care at the vets.

you might see if your vet has some forta flora -- or you can order it. pro biotic that is also an food enticer.
    very smelly and apparently makes everything tastes better -- have not tried it myself :D but I am assured by Wolfie that is so.

another thought is adding prozyme to food. that usually has to be ordered on line. is a plant pre biotic that aids in digestion. I use it for Wolfie and I also used it for Winnie too.

hope he feels better.
    please post back and let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.