Buprenex dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

hi guys,
    I was curious what dose of buprenex your cats take and tolerate?

Frosty was prescribed 0.03mg/kg during his pancreatitis flare, and he did not tolerate it well. He got very sleepy, wouldn’t get up or eat, and I ended up taking him to the hospital.

In the hospital, they decrease his dose and he still didn’t eat.

Since he seems to he having another flare, I was thinking of giving him 0.01 mg/kg to see if that helps with his appetite. I am TERRIFIED that it would make things worse though. What was your experience like and what dose did your cat get?

Thank you!

2. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I give Phoebe .01 3 times a day. It made her sleepy in the beginning but she adjusted well. It seems to do well with pain control. :bighug: hope Frosty feels better and starts eating soon.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Does she still have an appetite when she gets it? Or does it help with her appetite when she’s having a flare?

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think it helps with the appy on purpose, I think it helps the pain which might be keeping her from eating. If that makes sense? :)

5. Lillie

Lillie Member

Leo has gotten .01 in the hospital to take his anxiety down and before tests. I didn't notice tiredness until about an hour later when he zonked out. I didn't notice any effect on his appetite on whether it increased or decreased.

6. Lillie

Lillie Member

Ana- I see in your signature that Frosty is on Benazepril. My Leo was just put on this and I was wondering if you have noticed any tiredness and or weakness as a side effect? I'm not sure what to expect because everything you read always says "cats tolerate this med well" which I know is not always true.

7. Ana & Frosty (GA)

He only took it for 2 days and then stopped eating so I stopped giving it. I don’t think it had anything to do with this medication per say - I was slowly adding his cardiac meds into his regimen when he started eating a week and a half ago. I think it’s a coincidence since he has so many other issues.

If we ever recover from this and get back on benazepril I’ll let you know how he does. When he has these flares I stop everything except cerenia, appetite stimulant, pain medication, and insulin. :(

8. Lillie

Lillie Member

Thank you. I always get nervous when adding a new med for my cat. His blood pressure is normal and I'm nervous the benazepril will take it too low. I can't handle another ER visit right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.