Buprenorphine manufacturer(s) backlogged

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl and Winnie, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Today I called the vets to get some Buprenorphine for a p-titis kitty.
    They said they are having trouble getting it and are down to their last 2 vials -- need to keep for the hospital and offered to write a script. I called 8 different pharmacies. Nobody had any. I was told that the brand name Buprenex will not be available from the manufacturer until April 23rd. The generic is listed on all the wholesalers as not available from manufacturer with no time frame given. :sad: :-x

Luckily, my vet was able to call the compounding pharmacy they use ( out of town) and they can make a batch up. I talked to the pharmacist after she called and he asked if I were injecting. Nope oral use. That means they don't have to use special procedures to make sterile = saves money ! Nice that they asked.
    But now I have to a kitty along til we get our order . Hopefully he will have a good couple of days .

Thought I would pass this along as many here use Bup for their p-titis kitties.
    You might want to talk to your own pharmacist/ vet and see if their have any in stock and /or if their wholesalers have any available.
    If you have a source that still has some you might want to see if you can get a script filled now.
    or find a compounding pharmacy that will make it up before you run out .....

2. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

thank you.
    that's interesting to read about the sterility because i was told you could give it orally as well as injected subQ.

considering how much begging i have to do to get bupe for cleo i hope the availability doesn't make getting it that much harder between me and the vet coz she already makes me pretty mad with her refusal to allow automatic refills on anything.

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

This does not surprise me.

I was lucky enough to get an RX from my vet for Smokey...to obtain 20 (1ml) vials at a time.

I took mine to WalMart. First, NO PHARMACY STOCKS bupe !!!!!

It is a controlled substance....synthetic narcotic.

Do an internet search for "Buprenex" and most of the references you
    will see are for treatment centers to treat human Bupe addiction.

Ever wonder why vet clinics get burglarized for drugs ???

I had to bring in a used vial to WalMart so they could see the stock number
    and manufacture from the vial.

Even Walmart's distributor does not stock it. So...special order....30-60 days from the mfg.

Once I got my first order, I immediately placed another order. I ordered 20 vials,
    but when it came, only 10 vials were supplied. And I was told further availability was
    unknown.

Near as I can tell, the manufacturers make it up in batches, anticipating the
    amount of regular orders from vets, and when that batch for the month is gone,
    there is no more. Very hard for the general public to get.

As a controlled substance, you must present the script to the pharmacy in person
    (no phone-in orders from the vet), and you must pick it up in person (no mail-order).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.