? Calculating calories to feed?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tasha & Darwin, Jul 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Is anyone really good at calculating calories to feed? I'm not so used to calculating how much canned to feed.

He weights about 15.5 lbs, but is very overweight (he was 18.5 (!) but lost about 3 lbs quickly prior to dx of Diabetes). He should weigh about 11 lbs/5 kg.

Here's what I calculated for his kcals for weight loss:

RER = 30(5)+70 = 220 x 0.8 (for weight loss) = 176 kcal/day (seems kinda low to me!)

I've estimated that this would be about 0.5 oz of YA Zero dry (about 1/8 cup), and 1.25-1.5 cans FF classic. It works out to be around 180-190 kcal if I did the math right. I just worry about him losing too quickly.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You don't want to have them lose too much, too quickly....it can be dangerous

At most, 1-2% a week is the goal for weight loss

The general starting point for calories is [13.6 X optimal lean body weight in pounds] + 70.....weigh every 3-4 days (a baby scale is good to have for this)

Go from there and adjust the calories as needed to shoot for that 1-2% weight loss (and that can be a tough goal as it is!)

Adding exercise in the form of play or teaching them to walk on a harness is very helpful too....and exercise can actually help the insulin work better because it causes it to be more available to the cells

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  3. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Ah! This is the calculation I was looking for - 220 kcal/day sounds much more accurate!! I just couldn't find a calculation other than using the 0.8 x RER for weight loss, but the numbers seemed very low - I have seen how sick cats can become from dropping too much weight, too quickly :(

I work at a veterinary clinic, so I have been bringing a scale home every couple of weeks to weigh him.

I've tried him on a harness, but he gets asthma attacks outside :/ He has loved the laser pointer, but since he's gotten such a big boy, he isn't as apt to play with it - now that he's feeling so much better; maybe it'll get him active again!!

Thanks so much for the calculation!! :bighug:

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

China won't have anything to do with laser pointers.....she's like "it's a dot...so what??"

What got her moving was Da Bird and the Jackson Galaxy ground prey toy (available online....Amazon usually)

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.