Calculating Carbs: Which formula? GA or DMA?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph

Steph Member

For diabetic cat, which matters? Carb count of Guaranteed Analysis or from Dry Matter Analysis?

Example: American Journey Chicken Pate: Carbs: (calculated from this website.)

GA 5.0%
    DMA 23%

I was feeding this based upon Guaranteed Analysis. The equation for this is complex for someone with mathematical shortcomings.

Thank you. Fairly urgent.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Carbs from calories is what you want. The site to which you linked has already calculated it for you (see the pie chart). It is 16.9% carbs.

3. Steph

Steph Member

I see carbs at 5.0 for GA and DMA at 23. Where are they getting 16.9? This is SO confusing. Help. No wonder his BG is so high.
    I was reading as 5.0.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Dr. Pierson explains it all: https://catinfo.org/commercial-cat-foods/#Calculating__Percentage_of_Carbohydrates%
    Basically, you have to 1) multiple the % of protein, carbs and fat by the number of calories those items have (3.5 calories for protein and carbs; 8.5 calories for fat); 2) add the calories together to arrive at total calories; 3) divide the calories from each by the total calories to arrive at percentage of calories each makes up.

GA:
    Protein 10% x 3.5 = 35 - 33.8%
    Fat 6% x 8.5 = 51 - 49.3%
    Carbs 5% x 3.5v= 17.5 - 16.9%
    Total calories = 103.5

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

What's needed is the 'as fed' carbs which has to come from the company. If you look at anything printed on the can, you'll find 'Max' and 'Min' values. That does NOT mean that's the percentage they use in their recipe, it just means they won't use more or less than those percentages. Using them to calculate anything can be deceiving because of that. For example, if it says Max 78% moisture but the actual recipe they use in the cans is 75%, that's 3 hidden calculation points not taken into consideration. If it says min Fiber of 8% but they actually use 10%, again, 2 hidden points altho' in this case would be in your favor. So....while it somewhat gives you an idea, you can't bank on it at all. That's why some companies consider it 'proprietary' - it's based on their actual recipe.

HUGS!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  6. sherrib

sherrib Well-Known Member

Following along and trying to understand, math and I hate each other and we avoid each other at all cost ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.