Calculating insulin after hypoglycemic seizure

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kimora Austin, Feb 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

Hey guys need advice....I’m doing a glucose curve at home, I usually send numbers to vet and they give me her insulin adjustment. But yesterday she was like and had a hypoglycemic seizure she was at 6u Lantus with numbers 350-380 at her last curve 1/13. So I did not give insulin until I checked her this morning she was at 311, with a little stress and just had her hills md. How do I figure out how much insulin if any to give her today?
    Thank you so much for all your help as I’m new to at home testing.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That sounds like a very high dose. Can you tell us how you got to that dose? Has she been checked for any high dose conditions like IAA or Acromegaly?

3. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

Yes I thought it was high too, that’s what the vet told me to give. Her numbers on 1/13 were 387, 354, and 364 she was on 5u at this time. The curve before that on 12/25 her numbers were 401, 410, 402 and 477 and I believe she was at 3u then. No she has not been checked for those.

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I am not experienced in high dose conditions, but I will say with a hypo experience then you need to reduce the dose. She may be more sensitive to insulin and lower numbers now.

With recent low numbers I would say she is in a bounce now.

Do you test at home outside of the curve?

I am going to tag people with more experience then me to see what they say.
    @Wendy&Neko @carfurby

5. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

No I only test doing the curve and send the numbers to the vet. I would like to know more about testing outside of the curve and knowing how much insulin to give to keep her safe. Thank you so much for your help! I am on her second test and she is at 297 now. Not sure if I should give her any insulin or not today due to lower numbers and her episode yesterday.

6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

I would hold off for this cycle at least. We shoot every 12 hours so you are off schedule anyway.

In the meantime. If you want to go to the lantus forum and read the yellow sticky notes it will help with information on the insulin you are using. As well, we have a spreadsheet we use to help track our testing results. We tend not to give advise without being able to see it. You can find that in the suggestion and tech forum in the yellow sticky area.

ETA:We like to test at least 4 times each day. Before you give insulin to make sure it is safe to do so and at least once each mid-cycle. The key with lantus is to know how low they go. That tells us if the dose is good or needs to be changed.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

Thank you so much for your advice and the information! I am glad I have joined this group to help us on our journey. I will check out the spreadsheet and sticky notes.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good for you on home testing already. Did you test her when she had the hypo seizure to see what her blood sugar level was? Vets seem to like to increases by 1 unit at a time,which is too much at once.

Go on over to the Feline Health Forum, this is just an intro forum. Over on Health they can get you started with a spreadsheet to record you blood sugar data. We use that to figure out dosing here, without going to the vet each time. In the mean time, it’s a good habit to test the blood sugar before each and every shot, to make sure it’s safe to give insulin. We determine how to change the Lantus dose based on how low it takes the kitty,so getting tests, when you can, som where in the middle between shots is useful.

9. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

Thank you so much! I will checkout the health forum and start testing before her shots.
    I tested her after the seizure. It didn’t even give a number, just said Lo. So I gave her some cayro syrup to bring her back up after that.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

"Lo" means under 20. :eek: Glad you reponded with the syrup. That means 6 units is definitely too much insulin. I wouldn't give that much again.

11. Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack

Cris-Merlin(GA)& the pack Member

Hope your sugar baby is doing all right, it does seem like a high dose so maybe something to talk over wit the vet in the next visit? You can also post on the Lantus Forum so you can get feedback from people who are using the same insulin as you. Much love to you and kitty and let us know how she's doing when you can. :bighug:

12. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

Thank you so much! She is doing good I called the vet and sent her curve numbers this morning. They said they couldn’t use it bc I didn’t give insulin before the curve and gave her 2u in the middle of her curve they also told me continue the 6u until I can get another curve. I told them I was not comfortable with 6u since she went into the seizure after I gave that to her Saturday. So they said give her 5u. I really feel I need to do the spread sheet and learn how to calculate myself to be sure she is getting what she needs.

13. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB and I am so glad your kitty is doing better. It would be very helpful if you would set up your signature so that kitty's pertinent information is available with your posts. Here's how to do that: SIGNATURE
    Spreadsheet instructions and understanding the grid are HERE.
    Link to the Main Health forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    Link to the Lantus forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/
    We want to help you and kitty avoid any future hypo events, they are just way too scary, and get kitty feeling good and to better health. Best wishes going forward! :cat:

14. Kimora Austin

Kimora Austin New Member

Thank you so much for this information and the links!! and everything! So glad I have found you guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.