Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Right now, LT seems to be very sensitive to his insulin. I'm pretty sure he will even out a bit. But I'm wondering if I should purchase calipers now in anticipation of slight dose changes? If so, I would like to know among those using them, which brand do you use and the plusses and minuses of such?
    TIA

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Any brand will work....just make sure you can "lock" them once you set them.

Have you read the sticky on "dosing with calipers"?

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  3. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

I scanned the article, but need to read it in more depth. I also watched a video. It seems like a great idea and would appear to be more precise than eye-balling a .25U increment.

4. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

my opinion with calipers, the shorter the better -- DH got me an 8" one from Harbor Freight, but seems to me they sell a 6" one cheaper, someone else on the board has one ... I'm learning how to use it but I'm somewhat clumsy when I'm tired, and with the schedule we're on, I've been tired most of the time at preshot.. but the few times I've been able to use them, I feel more confident that the dose is right

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I would say any one you use will work fine, in the end I ended drawing an scale with the help of the calipers that I placed on the fridge to compare each time I measured the dose instead of actually measuring with the calipers each time ( I found that easier), also it could help to keep a table of how many mm in the caliper is each dose.

And if you are going to microdose (really small amounts 0.1 units for example) you may want to start measuring from the top of the syringe instead of the zero line since some syringes do vary slightly, which is not important in general but with very sensitive cats and micro dosing, a drop can make a difference

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What is really important is consistency vice an absolute dose. What one want to measure is the delta lenght between withe the plunger fully depressed and the length with the dose you want. This way the markings on the syringe barrel are not of a concern. You can get an digital one like this one.
    https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Cali...argid=aud-801657747996:pla-679845602768&psc=1
    Digital ones avoid errors in reading the scales on machinal ones like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MF3GH...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.