called ER- NO to pedilyte w/Zinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melissa&Paul-Kyle, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

Thank you Venita, for your response...I ended up calling ER again before I saw this...they said they "would not suggest it" and to get the one without Zinc...I drove to another store that had the generic and it does NOT have zinc...

Breathing...PK is not doing well, I have to say...

Mods- move this if you want or I will delete it in an hour or so, THANKS!

Sorry to post this on community..it has where I have been on the new board and I can erase it after I get some help...I just don't know the health forum on this new board...sorry, sorry...

Paul-Kyle is having a terrible attack of Pancreatitis...has been for several days now. I am treating diligantly with Squids, syringe feeding, testing for ketones, giving pepcid, buprenex for pain, just gave 1/2 tsp potassium gluconate from vet....

...he has started vomiting today and the ER told me I can give pedialyte but the one I got at store says on bottle top wrapper- NOW WITH ZINC.

Is it still safe to give pedialyte to cats with ZINC in it?

If so, she told me to give 1ml every 2-3 hours...does that sound right to you all? ( giving Lactated Ringers, 50ml every 5 hours ish, too- not more than 200ml in 24hrs)

Thank you for your help...will delete as soon as I see help- thank you!

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Re: Urgent- please, help with pedialyte

My first inclination is to suggest that you call the ER if you are concerned.

I have used Pedialyte for severe dehydration, and I don't believe I would have even given a second thought to the Zinc labeling.

I searched cat and zinc. This is one thing I came up with, which pretty much would indicate that it is OK. Specifically:

But to completely ease you mind, consider calling the ER.

Sorry to hear about PK, poor boy. Hugs to him and you.

3. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

vomiting

Melissa are you giving him any meds other than pepcid for nausea?
    If PK is vomiting on pepcid I would ask your vet for other meds to control his nausea and vomiting.

I would recommend ondansetron for nausea and cerenia for vomiting. cerenia is shot vet will give or some will give you syringe to give at home. It cannot be given more than 5 days in a row.

ondansetron is great for nausea. you can get a script from your vet and get from the pharmacy.
    the pills are cheap. some use injectable-- not sure if that is more $$ or not)

they can both be used together if needed.

hope PK is feeling better soon.

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Melissa, did you know that you can make your own pedialyte/gatorade at home? There are several recipes at the recipezarr site. Not only is homemade far less expensive, it gives you complete control over the ingredients.

5. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

I know that zinc can be one cause of hemolytic anaemia in cats, so I would run in the opposite direction! Hope PK is feeling better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.