Called vets, she suggested nutromax proviable probiotic. Anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Vet suggested anyone get good results with it?

2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

We used it back when Whispy was having constant diarrhea (suspected IBD, but not biopsied). It didn't do any harm, but it didn't seem to do any good either. Incremental diet changes (which took about a year) have had it under control for some time now...knock on wood...

3. Evie Corso

Evie Corso Member

Proviable probiotic has Maltodextrin in it, which is not good. A safer option for diabetic kitties is Fortiflora. I bought Intelliflora once instead of the Fortiflora, (be ause it said it was the same), only to read that it had Maltodextrin in it. The Fortiflora, by Purina, available online (OTC at Chewy.com and others), or from vet is good and most cats love it. It comes in packets of powder and can be sprinkled on food. Even my finicky ones will go for a less favored food if it has Fortiflora on it. It helps with IBS and I always use it with and after antibiotics. Maltodextrin can cause blood glucose to spike. I used a probiotic with Maltodextrin in it once to counteract a too low blood glucose level and it raised blood glucose fast.

4. Phoebes (GA)

Yeah we've bought fortaflora before. Didn't do much poop wise but she did like to eat it. We just need to get poop under contfol. Thank you

Evie Corso likes this.
  5. Phoebes (GA)

What is this?

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Eliminating one food at a time, slowly, adding a new food in increasing percentages until it was at 100%, waiting for a few weeks to see how it went...if that one wasn't working then repeat the process to eliminate the current food and slowly transition to a new one. Whispy was very sensitive to any change so we did changes very very very slowly.

For what it's worth, Proviable didn't seem to have any negative effect on BG for us. Same result as you for Fortiflora, they liked it but didn't do anything for the poops. You can also search for threads on FDMB for info on S. Boulardii and Slippery Elm Bark. Many have had good results from one or both of those. But we even used the "Emergency Stop Diarrhea" method from http://www.foodfurlife.com/my-cat-has-diarrhea---what-do-i-do.html with the S. BOulardii and it didn't do it for us.

7. Phoebes (GA)

Omgoodness. I've tried seb she won't touch it. We haven't tried putting it in a pill yet. But might try the S. Boulardi.

8. Evie Corso

Evie Corso Member

This probably doesn’t apply to you, but,...
    I had fostered a mom and her six kittens, who all had diarrhea. They were wormed and saw the vet multiple times. Went through probiotics and limited ingredient foods, elimination diets, you name it. The mom was even afraid of the litter box. We went ahead and adopted them as I couldn’t turn them back over the humane society with them having diarrhea and litter box issues. Then, one day, when they were about a year old, I caught one drinking out of the toilet. I had never seen a cat do that, only dogs and our dogs didn’t do it so it had not crossed my mind. I started keeping the toilet lids, (lid, not seat), closed. Diarrhea vanished and litter boxes were being used again. It happened again a couple of times, but each time was after one of us forgot to close the toilet seat lid so they couldn’t drink out of it. It has not occurred again since I began a vigilant watch on the toilet. I’ve always cleaned it regularly, rinsed well so no chemicals remained and never use the stuff you leave in the water, but it took me so long to tie them drinking out of the toilet with their tummy troubles. Our previous litter had never done it and did not have the same problem, so I figured it was a food allergy that they had all inherited. Nope, just drinking from the toilet! Like I said, probably not your problem/solution, but I’d hate to not mention it if someone else might benefit from the knowledge that cats who drink out of toilets can have continual IBS and it’s such an easy fix. As easy as it is to re-train humans to not just put the seat down, but close the lid too!

9. Phoebes (GA)

Amen, we keep it down because she likes getting on toliet seat to get up on counter. But yes great idea to put that out there. Might be someone never thought of that. Good PSA. :)

10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Approved by our vet, Daniel loves probiotic yogurt. If all else fails or if the cat hates the meds it won't do any harm in moderation. Don't go nuts on the flavoring.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  11. Phoebes (GA)

I've heard the kefir is the best to give but only find in blueberry and strawberry. She doesn't like fruits, just Noah! :)

12. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

You just referred to my cat as a "fruit"? And this is after he found out Phoebes had another boyfriend.
    We were certain Daniel was a bit fruity when we adopted him, he's very dainty. Even had the tech lift up his tail and have a second look.
    I've never had a mostly white cat before, too girly. Maybe he has a girl's bike! Daniel NO! :( o_O :rolleyes:
    dan002.JPG

13. Phoebes (GA)

I forgot the space boy, friend. There was no love there. Not like she sparkles whenever I mention Noah!! You would love Chan Chan. He's a man's man cat. :) he is a house panther. Gosh I love him. Reports says he's anemic, and needs an antibiotic. Will find out more tomorrow. "To ooooooooo morrow. Tomorrow I love ya tomorrow."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.