Callie into dog food

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Callie & Patches, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

This last week Callie and cohorts have been determined to get into the dog food and dry cat food whenever they can find a unlocked door. Between my daughter and granddaughter, either the pantry door or the door to the garage have been left unlatched. We keep the food in tubs, but the 4 Kittys will push a canister off the counter and then pry the lid off. The 2 dogs help with this. All our critters are ganging up on us. I think the parakeet would join the party if he could get out of the cage.

I have been trying to get DH to put the civies on wet food, but he wants to save money.

Every time Callie eats dry food, her BG goes up and it takes several days to get back to normal. So frustrated!

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

Oh dear, I have a cunning gang as well but they have yet to work out how to open the lid on the cat food container or unlatch the cupboard where the supplies are kept. The microwave doubles as the cat safe - as in safe from the cat, as they can't open that either. I suppose you could swap out the parakeet and put the food in the cage?

Wet food will be better for everyone, and it needn't cost that much - lots of cheap brands available. Who does the shopping?

3. Callie & Patches

My hubby does most of the shopping and he does buy good quality cat food. We keep most of the pet food in tubs in the garage. I keep the dogs food in smaller containers in the oven. Last week we had a birthday cake hidden from Callie in the oven, so I put the dog food in the pantry. my DGD is careless about closing doors but she felt bad about Callie getting into the dog food so I hope she will be more careful. She is 21 and living with us while going to college and working at Taco Bell.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe put weights on top of the tubs.

5. Callie & Patches

That's a great idea. Thank you.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Prying lids off canisters?! Yikes! Turned around in my kitchen yesterday to find my stubborn kibble addicted sugar girl sitting on the counter near the canister of her food. She knows the kitchen counter is off limits and I have not seen her up there for years. Now I'm wondering if I should put the canister in the oven! Thank goodness they don't have opposable thumbs! :woot:

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  7. Callie & Patches

They have teeth. I have seen Callie trying to open cans with the plastic covers on them with her teeth while holding it between her paws. People don't give cats credit for being as smart and determined as they are.

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hallelujah for ovens, both regular and microwave, as cat proof storage areas! Mind you, I have to remind myself to look before turning anything on. ;)

BJM and Elizabeth and Bertie like this.
  9. Callie & Patches

If you need to use the oven to cook, you have to find someplace to hide the food and hope the critters don't find it. They are so smart.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

My civvie nearly does! She gets up to all sorts of troubleeeeee. Lucky, she gets to graze her own food during the day, out of Mr Gord's reach. LOL

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  11. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

Since Griffin is a food ***** (that is what we call him) he will even eat fur off the floor to prove he is starving to death, the two civvies in my house have special bowls with sealed lids that only open for the specific cat that is to eat from it with a remote sensor on their collars.

Best investment I ever made, now they can eat when they want and I don't have to worry about Griffin stealing everyone's food - because he was doing that.

BJM likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Moe, what brand of sensor feeder do you have? I have considered getting one so when I am out of the house and leave food down, my civvie doesn't clean it all up leaving none for Menace should she want or need it.

13. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I have thought about getting one of these in the past... I second Linda's question on what kind you got!

ETA: Whoops! You replied as I sent LOL

Griffin's Mom likes this.
  14. Griffin's Mom

Griffin's Mom Member

We have two " Our Pets WonderBowl Selective Pet Feeder" One for each of our civvies. It is nice that they can not open each others as you set each bowls frequency.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.