Callie was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Glennie, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glennie

Glennie Member

This site had been so helpful, although some of the information is overwhelming. I do want to thank you for having it available because I was feeling it was impossible to do this until I got on here and read about how to give insulin and about the food. The videos showing how to give injections literally saved Callie's life because the way the vet showed me how to do it, I just couldn't do. I felt completely hopeless so thank you.

Anyway Callie is on Novulin N, I think 2 units morning and night. I do know where the mark is on the syringe and that's what I go by. We changed her diet to Fancy Feast (thanks to your recommendations since she wouldn't eat the prescription dry food at all). I took her in for a glucose test about 2 weeks after starting the insulin. Her sugar at the time of diagnosis was 1000. (We have 6 cats, and I couldn't figure out who was wetting excessively until Callie's weight loss became evident.) Her sugar during the test fluctuated around 250 to 350. The vet tested every hour during that one day test. Callie does seem to feel better and seems happier.

So I have some questions: 1) does diabetes cause hair loss in cats. Callie lost quite a bit of hair on her tummy and is now losing hair on her legs, but not near as much.
    2) She is still drinking and wetting excessively. Is that normal?
    3) Can this possibly be managed without doing the sugar testing all during the day? I feel terrible, but just giving her the shots morning and night is horrible for me. I would rather receive a hundred shots than do this to her even once. The only way I can make myself do it is knowing it's the only way she can live.
    4) Is anyone using the Novulin N rather than the Lantus. Is anyone using the generic insulin from Wal-Mart? Our first insulin purchase was for Novulin R, and when I took her back because I had several questions and was having trouble giving her the shot, another vet said the Novulin R was the wrong kind (short acting) and said the prescription should have been the Novulin N. So we spent the money on something we couldn't even use.

I know I am rambling here, but this isn't just something you can talk to many people about. By the way, Callie is 8 1/2 years old. She and her sister, Kinsey, were born on May Day in our neighbor's shop. They then left for 3 days, and the mother kitty was shut out of the shop. Our neighbors brought the 3 day old kittens to us, hoping they belonged to one of ours. We took them and tried to reunite them with the momma kitty, but we couldn't get them together. So we bottle fed them and (I still can't believe it) and they made it. All of our cats are special, but these girls really mean a lot to us. I've never had a cat like Callie, and I just really want her to make it. Thanks!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about hair loss but many people find that the coat condition is very poor before insulin treatment begins.

They can continue this way for some time until they are better regulated. Achieving that can take some time.

Testing blood glucose before each injection is the only way to know if the planned dose is too high. At least one other test near the middle part of the cycle will show how low a dose causes BG to drop. You'd have none of this information if you don't test. You'd be "shooting blind" and if you're lucky, your kitty will be fine. However, we don't recommend that approach.

The insulin injections and ear pricks don't hurt much, if at all. The calmer you are and the more practiced your technique, the easier it is for you and your kitty.

You could ask this question on the Caninsulin/Vetsulin/NPH forum for specific advice.

Glennie and JanetNJ like this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No, that is not normal for a diabetic. It could be due to an allergic reaction to the food change.
    That is normal for the high BGs you are reporting
    Most of us here test our cat's BG using a human BG meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots.
    Vet stress can raise BGs by 100 or more point (USA)
    I have used N for my Twiggy. She was on 6-8 units twice daily and I could maintain her BG below 120 all day. However, that is not typical of N. In most cats N drops BG fast and only has a duration of 8-10 hours.

If you home test before each shot and periodically between shots then you, with help here, can find out if the N is OK for Callie. BG testing at home is less expensive and more convenient that bring Callie to the vet.
    @page { margin: 0.79in } p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: #00000a; line-height: 120%; text-align: left; orphans: 2; widows: 2 } p.western { font-family: "Calibri", serif; font-size: 11pt; so-language: en-US } p.cjk { font-family: "Calibri"; font-size: 11pt; so-language: en-US } p.ctl { font-family: ; font-size: 11pt; so-language: ar-SA } a:link { color: #0000ff }
    Most of us record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Glennie likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

* Did this start after commencing insulin treatment?

* Is there any regrowth in the affected sites?

* Is Callie shedding more of her coat in general or is the hair loss limited to the areas you describe?

Re helping with the home testing you will be able to get past the 'I hate poking my cat' stage: as you observe, testing's what is going to help you keep Callie safe on her insulin and also guide you in your efforts to help Callie feel better. Try making it a bit of a special time for you both. Give Callie lots of fuss and praise - and a protein treat when the test is done! If you get anxious, try singing. (It really can help!) :)

Lots of cats here get to the stage where they go to their test stations to remind their human that it's time for a test - and then purr the whole way through the test itself. :cat:

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Glennie likes this.
  5. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

Sky started shedding after her diagnosis - she had had a few trips to the vets and had been left there for a blood curve. whilst she is tolerant and calm it was probably causing her stress - the vet said she would be losing her fur due to the stress and when things calmed down for her she would probably stop. This is what happened - took a week or so after she started her fur loss to stop and it wasn't horrendous. I also wondered if it was a side effect of starting insulin.

I don't home test during the day. I know it's best to be able to do it but it's not an option for me. I do test before evening shot and I do try for the morning but that is more difficult to get blood from her. It is the safest way to manage her diabetes though - human's wouldn't inject without testing. Sky doesn't seem to notice her injections - she does the blood testing but that is because I'm not very good at it!

Good luck :)

Glennie likes this.
  6. Glennie

Glennie Member

Critter Mom, the coat shedding started about a month or two before her diagnosis. At the time I was concerned, but she seemed okay. I did talk to the vet, and she said maybe it was overgrooming. We were also dealing with two very sick dogs so I was distracted. The leg hair loss seems to have started since her diagnosis, but I'm not sure of that. I only noticed the lower stomach area. Right before her diagnosis her coat started looking just not quite right, maybe a little clumpy. We did shave the back of her neck area so I could have an easier time with injections so I'm not injecting blind. The tummy injections seem to be easier on her though. The hair loss is limited to the areas I mentioned, and there doesn't seem to be regrowth. The back neck area that was shaved is growing back.

I will try the singing, but with my voice she is liable to hide. LOL I do give her lots of love before, during and after injections, but that's good advice. Unfortunately I do get very tense, and I'm sure she's feeling that. She is very picky eater so I was thrilled to get her to eat the Fancy Feast. If she won't eat that after injections the vet suggested Temptations. ?? And you know, it's funny but at 7am and 7pm she does get on the kitchen island where we do the injections. (I do wash the island afterward, btw) She seems to be reminding me so I guess I need to calm down. I will check into getting testing supplies this week.

I also need to get new syringes. The first vet prescribed 0.3ml and a gauge of 29 and 12.7mm length. The second vet gave me a sample package of 0.3ml, a needle gauge of 31, and an 8mm length. What do you think? Does it matter? And you don't inject it all the way do you? I am only inserting it barely below the skin. I feel so sorry for my cat with my ineptitude.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  7. Glennie

Glennie Member

8. Glennie

Glennie Member

Kris and Teasel,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I will check that other site about the insulin. I really appreciate your help and insight.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you. I think it would be much better for Callie to home test rather than do the glucose curve at the vet's office. I will try to do it. Callie does notice her injections, probably because I get so stressed so I don't know how the BG thing will go. But thank you!

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm so glad you were able to save Callie and her sister. As the others have said, home testing is the best thing you can do to help Callie. It's the only way to see if the insulin is working and to keep Callie safe from a hypo. I was reluctant to try it at first too, but once I started I felt a great relief because knowing what My cats blood glucose was, enabled me to keep him safe. It's really easy to learn. Start by taking Callie to the spot you will be testing her, several times a day. Pet her, love her, rub her ears give a treat, and let her go. When you're ready to start testing, she will already be anticipating the treat and attention and that will make it easier for you. Also familiarize yourself with the meter, and watch lots of you tube videos for technique. Here's some info to help you get started
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Glennie and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

When we were first learning to test it was the humans at our house who had the most to learn. We were terrified that we were hurting the kitty every time or that he would start hiding from us because we were doing it "wrong". Once we got used to the routine and learned some tricks here from experienced people, everything was easier. Now our kitty jumps up on the testing table when it's time and often purrs the whole time a test is being done. Hang in there it really does get easier. Let us know if you need some tips or tricks. We'll be happy to help.

12. Glennie

Glennie Member

Jan Radar, thank you for your understanding and encouragement!

Jan Radar (GA) likes this.
  13. Glennie

Glennie Member

Sharon14, thanks so much. I have checking various links and will definitely be on the hometesting link shortly.

14. Sharon14

Great! Let us know if we can help.

Glennie likes this.
  15. Glennie

Glennie Member

I did go to hometesting site as suggested. Thank you! I tried massaging Callie's ears, and she won't let me touch them. She is a very mellow kitty, allowing us to pet her tummy, but don't touch the ears! I saw something about pad testing, but I didn't see any video showing that. Does anyone do that! Suggestions about which glucometer?

16. Glennie

Glennie Member

When you test and the BG levels are normal do you still give insulin?

17. Critter Mom

Our little fur babies are smart; Callie seems to have already worked out that the injections have something to do with her starting to feel better. :)

Even if you only pretend to be businesslike and confident with the BG testing Callie should pick up on that. When you see her relax, you'll relax and it will set up a circle of positive feedback for both of you. :) Temptations treats are a no-no, unfortunately, because they're stuffed with carbs. Many cats like little diabetic-friendly freeze-dried chicken treats (e.g. Purebites). They make an ideal post-test treat. Little pieces of home-poached chicken are another idea to try.

Re the tummy balding, if you catch her overgrooming/worrying at the area then, as well as Larry's suggestion about allergies above, there might be a digestive system issue. With the picky eating in the mix it might be worth asking your vet to check Callie's pancreas is OK. Also ask about testing for other endocrine issues.

ETA - start studying and making notes about the ingredients in the foods Callie is eating.

ETA2 - Also check for any possible urinary tract issues.

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Glennie and Sharon14 like this.
  18. Critter Mom

Depending on the diabetic status of the individual cat and availability of sufficient BG data if they are being treated with Lantus or Levemir then perhaps, but DEFINITELY NOT with Novolin N.

Mogs

19. Critter Mom

Some people do paw pad testing. Here's a guide to paw pad testing developed by member @Alexi:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QZy3aAvJjV8FI7jvgbwvvvo9sIpS9fKVaTcSaQTaG-E/edit

It might be a good idea to post a new thread on Feline Health asking members for hints and tips on paw pad testing.

If you're in the US, Walmart's Relion Micro and Confirm glucometers are very popular choices with members here. They work with a very small blood sample and the strips are affordable.

Mogs

20. Sharon14

When starting out we do not give any insulin if kitty's glucose is below 200. Here's a video testing from paw pad

21. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks for the info about Temptations. I will try and find the Purebites. She isn't all that thrilled with
    regular chicken. When we had the initial diagnosis done, the vet checked everything so I am fairly sure her pancreas was checked. He was seeing if there was any organ damage since her BG levels were so high.

22. Glennie

Glennie Member

Larry, thank you for responding. I changed food after the hair fell out so I think it is probably something other than a food allergy. I should have been more clear about that. I just went to the vet to get a new prescription for both the N and Lantus. Have you used both? I will check out spreadsheet later on. I'm going to get the glucometer today and try to test. Thanks again!

23. Critter Mom

Were you by any chance feeding a Royal Canin dry food beforehand?

Mogs

Glennie likes this.
  24. Sharon14

You only want one insulin or the other. In this case lantus is the better of the two. What country are you in? If the US, then lantus is very expensive and many of us buy it from Canada.

25. Glennie

Glennie Member

Yep, in US. I just priced it today at Walmart, and it's $288 there. $488 at Wal-greens for the same stuff. I went ahead and got some N ($25) since I wanted to try some, knowing that it has been constantly refrigerated. I told them I might have to get the Lantus later, but yes, cheaper would be much better.

What pharmacy in Canada and how do you go about it? I did see a site on here, and will try to find it again.

I did catch Callie chewing on her leg hair so maybe she is chewing on her tummy hair also.

I did get the glucometer (Relion Confirm), lancets and testing strips. So hope it goes okay, but with my anxiety, it's going to be a challenge.

Thank you!

26. Glennie

Glennie Member

No, I was feeding our kitties Purina Original dry cat food which probably contributed to Callie contracting diabetes.

27. Sharon14

https://rxcanada4less.com
    You just need a prescription from your vet.
    For the testing, practice with the meter first. Then take a nice deep breath, relax, and as Mogs mentioned, try singing to help you relax.

Glennie likes this.
  28. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks for the video and the info about insulin levels. I am going to try it.

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  29. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Hi, my Callie says welcome to your Callie You will save lots of money by testing her BG. If her BG goes down too much, she will get hypoglycemia. It can be fatal or very sick. A trip to the emergency 24 hour vet is very expensive. When you use the spreadsheet, you can take it to the vet. I e-mail it to my vet and save the cost of having the vet do a curve in her office If you use a new Lancet every time, it won't hurt because a new lancet is nice and sharp It is better to use a 28 Gage Lancet because you can get a larger blood drop without having to poke so often.

Critter Mom and Glennie like this.
  30. Glennie

Glennie Member

My Callie says hello back. :) Thanks for the info about the lancet. I didn't know what size to get. I did pick up the ReliOn Confirm glucometer yesterday and tried to test last night. I got blood from both her ears, but the glucometer kept registering E-6, dirty strip. Can you not even touch the strip to get it out of the box? There is so much to learn!

I tested myself to see if I could get a BG number, and it did work. I am going to try on Callie again in a bit. I also tried her pad last night, but the ears seemed to be better. I just need to get everything to work at the same time.

I also got a new vial Novulin N, and I want to see how that works. I also contacted the Canadian pharmacy about mailing out Lantus. If the N doesn't work, I'll order some Lantus. BUT I have to test!

Thanks again, Donna.

31. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are you using Vaseline or similar on the ear? If you do that can get end the "stuff" in the end of the strip and get an error.

Glennie likes this.
  32. Glennie

Glennie Member

No, not using anything on ear, but thanks for thinking of possible causes. I'm working up the nerve to try again here shortly. I had a really busy day and truth to tell, I'm procrastinating. She seems to be feeling better with the new N.

Thanks again, Larry.

33. Sharon14

Glad she's feeling better! Any luck on the testing?

Glennie likes this.
  34. Glennie

Glennie Member

No! I tried again and three ear pokes later I gave up. I will try again tomorrow. It was chilly in our house, and I tried warming her ear with a warm dry washcloth, but she was having none of it. Donna suggested a 28 lancet and the ones we have are 30 so maybe that's the problem. Also I had the lancet thing set on 3 so maybe that's not deep enough. Last night 3 got enough blood, but the glucometer said the strips were dirty.

Thank you very much for checking on our progress. It's so sweet of you, and I really appreciate it. One really good thing from the attempts at testing is that giving the insulin seems so much easier than it was. So tomorrow...hopefully the third time is a charm.

35. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm having a bit of a sleepy late night pajama party with Whisper right now so someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I *think* that an E-6 also happens if you suck up just a little bit of blood in the strip, but not enough to fill it up fully at one time. (Even if you suck up additional blood in that same strip, it has to get it all at one time or I think you get an E-6)

If it is because Callie is squirmy and you have enough blood but can't suck it up at one time, then you can try to scoop the blood drop onto your own clean fingernail, and then test it from there since you will be more still. Or it could still be that her ear is too cold and there just isn't enough blood.

Good luck!
    Sandi&Whisper.

36. Sharon14

I don't use the lancing device, I just hold the lancet in my hand, so I don't know about that. For warming the ear, Some have success using a rice sock. Try putting some rice in a small sock and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. Check to make sure it's not too hot. Keep us posted on your progress.

37. Glennie

Glennie Member

Sandi, your Whisper looks a lot like our kitty Zeke (Ezekiel). He was an amazing cat. We had him for 18 years and he was such a good boy.

Thanks for the info and advice. I will try that.

Hope your late night pj party wasn't because something was wrong with Whisper.

38. Glennie

Glennie Member

I will try it without the device. I was just hesitant about just sticking her---not quite sure if I was steady enough to control the depth of the poke. I also didn't know how deep to poke, but I guess just till blood shows up. I'll try the heated sock with rice. I had read that before, but haven't tried it.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement. I honestly am not trying to be such a pain here. I do hard things all the time without this drama, but for some reason this is really getting to me. So anyway thanks to everyone. But like I said before, the shots are not near as hard to give since I've been trying to test. That's an improvement! :)

39. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Don't you just love orange boys! We adopted Whisper last year after we lost another diabetic orange boy named Brady, who we had for 17 years.

Thanks for asking, Whispy is fine. He had lower than normal numbers (but still safe) for last night's cycle, but I stayed up with him almost more because I was excited to see those numbers than I was scared or worried! Plus he was playing like a kitten while in normal numbers, and I didn't want to miss that either ;)

Let us know how we can help you. It will get easier, I promise!

Sandi& Whisper.

Glennie likes this.
  40. Sharon14

You are not being a pain! We love to help! We all came here needing help and received it and are now paying it forward.
    As for sticking Callie's ear, I think we all hesitated at first, but just take a deep breath and do it. Remember, you are doing it to help her, not hurt her and most cats don't seem to really mind it anyway, just remember the treats after! Also if you poke all the way through, it'll be ok- we've all done that.
    Keep asking questions. That's the best way to learn!

41. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

If Callie likes her ears rubbed, you can try my method. I rub Shenandoah's ears with my hands circled around themselves, pinkies against her ears. This creates a little tube out of my hands, and I gently breathe warm air into the other side (by my thumbs) while I'm rubbing. A minute of that usually has her ears sufficiently warm for a test, and also has her purring away from the ear rubs so happy to deal with the testing.
    (Some cats don't like ear rubs, so don't force it if it's not Callie's thing - just another idea to try if she won't put up with the washcloth)

Critter Mom and Glennie like this.
  42. Critter Mom

Before warming the ear, remember to smear a thin film of Vaseline or neosporin (ointment, not cream) over the test area.

Try this method once you have the ear well warmed:

1. Put a 1" strip of kitchen paper around your index finger.

2. Curl the ear around the index finger so the kitchen paper provides a supportive cushion.

3. Hold the ear gently but firmly in place using your thumb and forefinger, stretching the ear slightly to make the skin taut. (Also helps reduce head movements.)

4. Make sure the bevel of the lancet is facing you. (Twist it under a good light to see the flat surface.)

5. With the lancet at an angle of about 45 degrees, prick the sweet spot as though you were trying to pop a balloon.

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Glennie likes this.
  43. Glennie

Glennie Member

Yes, I will always have a soft spot for long-haired orange kitties after having Zeke. He holds a special place in my heart. Glad your Whispy is doing well and that he was having fun. I hope it does get easier. I was just reading over several articles that I didn't take the time for earlier
    Thank you for the step by step instructions. It's sweet of you to take the time. I see that you're using Lantus, and I was just reading on one of the getting started sites that Lantus only lasts a month. Do you find that to be the case for you?

44. Glennie

Glennie Member

She usually doesn't like her ears touched, but I was petting them during the last two nights while I was trying to test, and while she wasn't thrilled, she didn't get too mad. Thank you for the ideas.

45. Glennie

Glennie Member

Oops! To finish the reply to Sandi and Whisper--I accidentally posted it. I hope it does get easier because I was just reading some sites I should have read earlier (would have prevented some questions I asked that were already answered on there), but it is all so complicated and overwhelming. I was going to order Lantus since it seems more stable, but then reading on there it said it only lasts a month. I see that you're using Lantus. Does each vial only last that long?

46. Critter Mom

Properly handled and refrigerated, an opened vial or cartridge of Lantus will last about 6 months. :)

Mogs

Glennie likes this.
  47. Glennie

Glennie Member

I see that you're using Lantus for Shenandoah. I am asking Lantus users if the vial is only good for one month. I read that in some information about the insulin. Also you're in Colorado which is where I live (Ft. Morgan) Where do you get your Lantus? I called the Marks Marine Pharmacy about the Lantus, and it seems summer shipping might get kind of dicey with the heat and all. But the cost is much more doable that way. How do you handle all of that?

48. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

We are currently OTJ (off the juice - in remission), so I don't actively give Lantus. When I bought it the first time, I got it from Walgreens - before I knew what a mistake that was. They charge a fortune :( They were also rude to us ("this is for a cat?? Do you realize how much this costs???" -- Yes, I do, thank you very much....). Lantus is dated to be used within a month of opening, but can definitely last longer if you take care of it properly.
    For shipping Lantus, you can order the pens, and they last quite a while if you haven't opened them yet (like a year or something?) so you can have them shipped during cooler months and have a stash to get you through the warmer summers.

I'm down in Colorado Springs. Welcome, neighbor :)

Glennie likes this.
  49. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you. Where do you get yours from? So are you able to use the whole vial?

50. Sharon14

51. Glennie

Glennie Member

So that's what OTJ means! And glad Shenandoah is OTJ!

How are the pens different to use than the vials? Right now I am using a new vial of Novulin N, and she seems to be feeling better than with the old vial, but I don't know if the old one was kept refrigerated. But after all the reading and feedback, it seems like the Lantus would be a much better choice for Callie. Yes, Walgreens was a mistake for us also even with the Novulin. Walmart was over $140 cheaper for just that.

Colorado Springs is so pretty. And Howdy, neighbor! Wish we were closer so I could beg to come over or have you over to show me testing just one time. Seeing helps. Thanks so much!

52. Critter Mom

:eek:

53. Critter Mom

Our vets sell single Lantus pen cartridges but I can also get a vial at a local pharmacy with a written Rx. (I'm in the UK.)

Mogs

54. Glennie

Glennie Member

55. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

You could see if you can pay a vet tech (off their employer's clock) to come to your house to go through everything with you and Callie. A lot of them do that on the side for catsitting already, so the only difference here is that you would be home, but you could pay what they would normally get for a catsitting visit. And then you might also be able to show them around so that they would be able to sit for you in the future :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Pens are just smaller amounts than a full vial. It makes it so you can use up a larger portion of the insulin before it goes bad.
    I don't know if they're available for Novulin N, I'm only familiar with Lantus.

If you're still struggling once this weather clears out, let me know. I might be able to find a way to get up there at some point. I do have a business trip coming up, so it would have to be worked around that.

57. Glennie

Glennie Member

Really dumb question but how hard is it to attach the syringe needle and use that as opposed to just filling the syringe from the vial, and how hard is it to do the dosage thing with the pen? I haven't looked at the pens, and I should do that before asking. (But I asked anyway)

Appreciate the "thumbs up" about the Lantus choice (although I'm still using the N) and also the advice about the 5 pen pack. The more questions I ask, the more I find out I don't know. Thank you!

58. Glennie

Glennie Member

How sweet of you! I do hope I can get a grip on myself before I need that much help, but it might come to that.

Thanks for explaining about pens. I am asking several people the same questions, and you are all being so patient with me. Thank you.

59. Sharon14

It's simple to draw your insulin from the pen. You use it just like a vial. You do not use the pen needles that humans use, just regular u100 syringes. Check out the link I gave you in post #50. There's a video as well as lots of great info on Lantus.

60. Glennie

Glennie Member

This is a really good idea, although when I told my vet I wanted to start hometesting, he really discouraged it, saying it could be dangerous. I didn't ask why because we were in the waiting room. So I don't know how that would go over. But I am going to consider it. Thanks! I especially like the idea of a tech catsitting at our house and giving the injections since then Callie wouldn't have to be kenneled at the vet. Much less stressful for her! Thanks for a great idea.

We were going to go to my daughter's after Christmas (plans changed because another daughter needed surgery), but I was going to bring Callie along so I could care for her, but sometimes that just doesn't work out. So your idea is a good option.

61. Glennie

Glennie Member

I thought I replied to this to thank you for the really sweet offer, but then I see no reply. Anyway thank you so much. I am hoping I can get a grip on myself and get it done tonight.

62. Glennie

Glennie Member

I didn't notice this site you posted before. It is a good one and answered lots of questions. Thank you. Sorry I didn't pay close enough attention to it at first.

Sharon14 likes this.
  63. Glennie

Glennie Member

64. Glennie

Glennie Member

Okay, one more question and then I'll leave everyone alone (just for the night though. LOL) I just read where you need to be careful to get the insulin in the fat layer and not the skin or the muscle. Maybe I have been getting it just into the skin since I am injecting only just under the skin. I'm not putting the needle all the way in. Am I supposed to put the needle all the way in? I can't tell from the picture of injections how are the needle goes in.

65. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

You did reply above :) but that's okay.
    You're very welcome, and I do sincerely mean it - don't be afraid to ask if you can't get through it.

But the first time is the worst, because we haven't figured out what we're doing yet! Each one after that gets easier, and before you know it you are barely even thinking about it anymore.

Also, a bit of advice, don't be discouraged if you manage to prick her but can't get the drop of blood onto the strip. It happens to all of us - especially in the beginning. We are thinking about getting through the prick and not planning for what comes next. Then they shake their heads and the droplet goes flying, or they bolt away, or whatever and we don't get a reading. It's okay. The next time you try the prick will be a little easier and then you can start worrying about the next part.

66. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks for the encouragement. Real quick how do you know you are getting the insulin in the fat layer and not just the skin or the muscle. Do you stick the needle all the way in?
    I have been injecting in the tent of skin and I can see the bump of the insulin. None is coming out of the skin, but I am not putting the needle all the way in. Is that right?

67. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

If you're injecting into your tent, roughly parallel to Callie's back, you should be getting in the right spot. It doesn't matter how far in the needle is, that is a large space*
    The goal is to get it right beneath the layer of skin, so as long as you are inside your tent, you've succeeded.
    If you are aiming downward (instead of parallel to the back) you risk hitting muscle instead. If your tent is too small, you risk coming out the other side. But if you're tenting nicely, and injecting inside the tent, you should be good.
    Think of it literally like a tent, like one you'd go camping in. You're creating a big empty cavern in there, surrounded by skin on top and muscle below. As long as you are somewhere inside that empty space, you're where you need to be.

Personally, when I was giving insulin I always pushed the needle all the way in, to be certain I wasn't giving a fur shot.

*Just for reference, I put an entire ~0.4 cups (100 ml) of fluid into that space on my two twice a week!! And I use a needle that's significantly bigger than an insulin needle to do it. It can certainly handle the tiny insulin needle.

Critter Mom likes this.
  68. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Hi @Glennie,
    Just wanted to check in, how are you and Callie doing?

69. Glennie

Glennie Member

How sweet of you to check on us! Callie is fine. Her blood draw update: Wed. night I used the warm sock and the lancing device (on 3) twice on her right ear, and then once again with just the lancet without the device. (Before starting I watched videos again and looked at the sweet spot picture.) I couldn't get enough blood on any of those 3 pokes. But I was determined, and so we went to her left ear. I used the lancet device again (on 4), went all the way through her ear, and I did get enough blood for a test. But then I messed that up with not having the test strip completely in the right way. I did two tests on my own blood to practice with the glucometer, but by then Callie had had it with me. She hid under the bed right in the middle so I couldn't reach her, and refused to get near me.

So I gave up. I gave her Thursday and Friday off. Thursday she didn't feel well so I watched her really closely. but yesterday she seemed better and even came out to get her shot without me hunting her down. I'm going to try again today, but on her pad this time. I will go over the pad instructions again before I try. I hope my very sweet and helpful daughter doesn't give up on me along with my sweet kitty.

So I hope to post that I got it right later today. I am going to order the Lantus from Mark's Maine Pharmacy on Monday. Thanks for checking on us. That is so thoughtful of you and means a lot.

Critter Mom likes this.
  70. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

It sound like you are making progress, so don't get frustrated! Even if you weren't able to test yet, getting some blood on the ear is a great start! The rest will come. Be patient with yourself, you're learning a new skill and it takes some time to coordinate it.

I've never done a paw test so I can't advise you there, but I'm sure there are others who can if you have any problems with it.

If you do decide to go back to her ears to try, consider trying the 28G (alternate testing site) lancets - they are larger needles and will get blood a bit easier. Also consider that her ears will start to bleed more easily after you've been doing it for a while, so it gets better.

It sounds like Callie is very patient with you if she let you do 4 pokes and all the other messing around with her ears :) She knows you're trying to help her!
    If you aren't already, consider using a new lancet when re-poking - they get a little dull after one or two attempts and it becomes more difficult to penetrate the skin. Usually if I don't get blood in a second attempt, I get a fresh lancet for the third. It just makes things a little bit easier.

Let us know how things go later!

71. Glennie

Glennie Member

Your words of encouragement really help with the frustration. :) It's good to know that even someone experienced doesn't get blood or success the first time every time.

I did try to find 28G lancets, but none were available in the ReliOn brand at Walmart. I wasn't sure how different lancets would work in that device, (probably fine, but not sure) and the lines for consults were long.

How about that?! I was using a different lancet after every second try! ;) I didn't want to hurt her anymore than I already was.

Callie is a sweetheart. She really does seem to know I'm trying to help her feel better. So when she hid, I knew she'd really had it with me. Will let you know what happens later...Thanks!

Shenandoah likes this.
  72. Glennie

Glennie Member

Last night I did get blood out of Callie's paw, but it wasn't enough to get a reading. I need to get the bigger lancets before I try again. Last night I was calm so that helped. The last two times I've tried to do the blood testing, she won't eat for several hours after. So I am delaying the insulin shot till she'll eat. I think that's the right thing to do?

Thanks to everyone for sharing all the wisdom and insight you've gained because of going through this before me. More Callie updates later...

73. Glennie

Glennie Member

The Lantus video was really good as was the information. It will help a lot. Thanks for the nudge to watch the link that I missed the first time.

Critter Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  74. Sharon14

Since you're using Novolin, it is important that she eat before insulin. Keep working on the testing. It sounds like you're making progress. It will get easier, I promise! Also keep asking questions. Knowledge of FD will help you help Callie.

75. Glennie

Glennie Member

Callie starts on Lantus tonight. I called Mark's Marine Pharmacy and sent them her prescription. After reading the cautions about mailing it out in the heat and cold, I just broke down and bought a vial from Wal-Mart. I'll order from the other place in the spring as they suggested. I'm going to read the site on here about Lantus again.

I checked for 28G lancets when I was picking up the Lantus, but they still don't have any. I'll look again at Walgreens tomorrow or later today. I still haven't been successful at testing. And with Callie refusing to eat after testing, it's hard to try over and over.

I don't know how switching from Novulin N to Lantus will affect her BG. The Novulin N wasn't slowing down the excess drinking and urination. The vet said I could increase the dose of the N, but after reading about the rapid BG drop with N and not being able to test, I was hesitant about increasing the dose.

Thank you!

76. Glennie

Glennie Member

Success! With the help of my husband and youngest daughter (my heroes today) I was able to get a successful BG test done. Yes and Callie helped, too! Anyway just wanted to thank everyone for all the tips and encouragement. Hopefully next one won't be quite so hard. Her BG was high (391) +6 hours from 1.5U. It was probably more like 1.25u because of trying to get the bubbles out from 2u. It slipped up a bit farther than I wanted. Thanks again!

77. Sharon14

Congratulations!!!!!!

Glennie likes this.
  78. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thank you! I am happy to get that first one done. Now onto the next one...;)

79. Sharon14

Glennie likes this.
  80. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hurray for getting this first one out of the way! It'll get easier! :D

Glennie likes this.
  81. Glennie

Glennie Member

Marje said she would set up the SS for me so I sent her the requested info. So sweet of her. So sweet of all of you for the help, encouragement and understanding. I am hoping the BG's get easier, as everyone keep assuring me. :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  82. Glennie

Glennie Member

Really hope so! Thanks!

83. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

Yay!! Congrats! It only gets easier from here! You'll feel so much better once you start testing regularly and get a more thorough understanding of what's happening inside Callie's body, and can start to respond to her needs.

Glennie likes this.
  84. Glennie

Glennie Member

Thanks again for offering to come all this way to help me. You're so sweet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.