Callie's Better thanks everyone

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Libby & Callie, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/1/10 Callie AMPS 468 +3 351
    yesterday viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26279&p=266617#p266617

Thanks again. I hope I linked this right. She is doing very well I think. She has been out and about, but they are all resting now. Peace for Mommy for a few minutes :) I am testing only on a 3 hr curve today so that I can get some things done. The reduction and change to all wet has made such a difference! 2nd day on all wet and 2u instead of 4u. of Lantus. Amazing! I couldn't have done it without you :smile: Libby and Callie (and civvies :brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... TuVA#gid=0
    Callie 10 yrs old on 9/17/10 dx 6/12/10
    Lantus 2 units BID (U100) since 9/30/10
    HT BG with AlphaTrak & Lancet device
    Wet food only since 9/30/10
    Camp Hill, PA USA

Attached Files:

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

callie is precious...and sooo glad to hear she's doing better. late to the party but have you read all the specific's about lantus on that ISG. forgive me if your already versed in all that. it is rather an encyclopedia :D

3. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

What a sweet girl! cat_pet_icon

You and Callie had a great day yesterday, and it's good to know she isn't having a hard time transitioning to low-carb wet food. Now we just have patience until mid-week next, and discuss your options for adjusting her insulin then.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Callie is just beautiful.
    jeanne

5. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

Callie is BEAUTIFUL! What a sweet face!

On the food...it took a while to get all of mine to go "dry free". We sort of had to go through the 12 step program. :D

I ordered the EVO dry for the civies and kept it out of reach of Calliope. She was into the wet and with the neuropathy, she couldn't jump up on the table where I had the dry feeder. Eventually, I just pulled up the EVO and used it for treats for the civies. They're all fine. The diabetic kitties are so hungry when first diagnosed that many of them will eat darn near anything. I think that's how Calliope was. She was like your Calliope in that she took the wet right away.

On the ketone testing, I had to put Calliope in a room where her favorite litter box was located in the bathroom off that bedroom. I put her food and her water in there with her and I would do it when I knew she hadn't peed in a while. I put a disposable litter box where the favorite was and lined the box for easy cleaning. I put the least bit of litter in the box, so the urine would puddle. I would get up and check the box often so I could test the urine right after she went. I even put her in the box a few times, myself to entice her. That worked for me. Might not work for everyone. Calliope didn't take to me stalking her when she was about to pee. She would leave the box and hold it until I left! I had to let her have some privacy! If you can corral Callie into a room with a litter box like I did, it might work.

Say a little prayer for my civie calico, Lucy. I had to drop her off at the vet's office this morning because they had a lot of surgeries, today, and couldn't see her right away. She was hold up in her kitty fish hut when we woke up and wouldn't come out for treats. My Fat Lucy NEVER misses treats. I took her out and she went straight back in. She was playing and eating last night until 1 am, so this change took place in hours. She could have missed her step jumping off one of the beds last night. I heard what didn't sound like a smooth landing, so I checked, but she came waddling out and ate some food and got into bed with me, like normal, so I thought one of the other cats must have been playing with something. I just know that something isn't right.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Ginger, sending a prayer for Lucy. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

7. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/1/10 Callie AMPS 468 +3 351 +6 275
    Human Meter Readings would be AMPS 438 +3 321 +6 245

Thanks Tom.. I haven't finsihed with my reading up on Lantus yet. I'll get back to it later today. How is the Tomitude today ..lol Hey to you too Jana+BK+Chester .. yes .. PATIENCE whew! I am only going to follow advice here as it seems to be working out so well! Callie says thank you jeanne :) She blows a kiss .. maybe cause she hit the 200's today ..(BG) My prayers for Lucy! Hate to see her spend a day at the vet, but we have to what we can do. I told you Ginger! They seem to be exactly alike. My Calliope was a pig and the water she drank ... oo lala! I needed a backhoe to remove it from the litterbox! She was also jump challanged :) I did the same thing .. put it up higher :) I just opened Friskies with salmon & beef and they ALL took to that! Keeping a list .. checking it twice (BG) I will look for a disposable box when I go for the food. I have a list and will include some high and med carbs for those times when it may be needed. Thanks for the tip! Love and hugs to Lucy and her mom. Libby and Callie (and civvies :brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

8. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Very nice drop into the 200's, there. This is going to supply you with data for next week when you can look at the trends and make some dose decisions. Might drop lower as the change in food sets in.

The fish food choices are fine in moderation, but too much is not good for the kitties. Mine don't really like fish EXCEPT for the fancy feast chicken and tuna. They will fight over that one! Lucy especially jumps for joy when it's put down. I give it about once a week or so as a special treat.

Thanks for the prayers from you and Laurie. I'm a nervous pervous right now, playing the waiting game. She is a sweetheart and so loving, but not for the vet. They have a difficult time getting cooperation. Breaks my heart to leave her, but that's just the way it is, sometimes.

Hope your day is a good one!

9. Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur

Jana+BK+Chester(GA)+Wilbur Member

Don't ya just love it when things start happening they way they're supposed to??!!?? :D Good job, Callie...and I know your Mom feels better seeing your BG drop into the 200's! It should be interesting to see where we are next week.

10. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

There is a reason why I am so agressive on this. Four months ago I fell at work and broke my arm. Then I was diagnosed as having basil cancer on my lip and told if I didn't get surgery soon I was going to have some deformity of the lip. I found out about Callie and was so upset because I had to deal with a surgery that I could'nt put off. My daughter took Callie home so she could help me out with her. I then had MOHS surgery which was to take as little as possible, but when she got through with me it was triple what she had expected. I then had to wait 3 days .. with an open surgery site that had a 3x2 patch over it. I was working and it was upsetting to have to change the bandage there. Also .. people wouldn't stare, but the children did :) I finally got everything fixed .. although I had to be put under at the hospital for the plastic surgery. Anyway .. to the point .. Callie had been at Laurels and I was unfamiliar with all of the vets advice. Laurel did a great job, but I knew that Callie needed to rejoin her siblings soon. They hissed at her for many days when she returned and I never wanted her to go away again. She did go to the vet for a curve, but the hissing only lasted 2 days. I knew once I found this place that home testing HAD to be done. I had taken so much time over my stuff that I wanted to "hit the bricks running" and make sure she had every advantage to maybe get OTJ. Now I have reinjured the same arm .. not broken, but black brusing down the arm & down the chest ... and the shoulder is wonky. I tripped over my roomies cat ..Lights out in hall +black cat = trouble :) NOW I am trying to get a part time job and move too. This has been a piece of cake compared to all the other stuff going on! If it were not for all the help here I may have just balled up and given up .. sooo thanks soo very much. I think you saved my sanity among other things (BG). Callie is really helping me out here. She has done a great job .. with the patience (which I am a little short) and her good nature in general. Also going right for the canned food .. what more could a mommy want! Ever grateful to you all ... And as well "looking to see what happens next week"! Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I've been following your story and I have to say you are one good momcat! So glad you are feeling better. But PLEASE be careful with your arm. Whew...lol sending prayers for everyone at this household. We love ya.
    jeanne

12. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Ketone a NEG

Thanks for the cudos :) I feel like I am just making up for lost time. Things can't be helped sometimes, but doing everything I can to make it better .. that's what I need and so does my girl. Good news .. ketone was a NEG YEA! Again .. so many thanks to you all! Libby and Callie (and civvies :brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

13. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Just popping in to see how Callie was doing and loved reading her story! What a good momma kitty bean you are! Glad she is loving the wet food, althought that is probably one of my Muse's best legecy here is that my bunch finally got it through their momma's thick head that kitties DO NOT eat cereal...lol Not unless it has milk on it at the very least and then only if you can swipe it from the human's bowl. :D I do have one hold out that still thinks he is drying from the lack of kibble, and he is a siamese so he is very dramatic about it, until I pull out the canned food, then he is in it whiskers deep, he still grumbles about it and will roll his eyes at me, but he definitely isn't going to go hungry...lol So give it time your other civies will come around, and you will be amazed in the change in them too.

Now take care of that arm.

Shame on you for fallin over that poor kitty in the dark s/Onyx

Mel

14. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Great news on the ketone test!

15. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/1/10 Callie AMPS 468 +3 351 +6 275 +9 337 pmps 435
    Ketone test NEG

Hey mamaofmuse! Siameese are natural hams :) EVERYTHING is just SOOO over the top ..lol. I'm sorry .. just picturing the eye roll ..lolrofl. Beautiful and don't they just know it! Ginger .. how is Lucy? I am going to LL in a min to see. All is well and I am just doing some more reading. I'll check on Lucy after this post. Callie is back in the red, but I gave her shot and will check in 2 this time. Get a better night curve .. well any curve since my night ones are non existant! Have a wonderful evening everyone :smile: Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

16. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Libby,

No ketones are good and it may take a while to see if the red is going away. The insulin is doing something, though, because you've seen some drops. You're getting good data, so when it's time to re-evaluate the dose, you'll have lots to look at. You really are doing a grand job.

Thanks for asking about Lucy. The vet really couldn't find anything. Lucy walked for her just fine, but she does have some arthritis in her hips. The vet decided that since Lucy is 13 and she couldn't find a particular place where Lucy was swollen or any evidence of any internal injury, that she wouldn't put her under for xrays. She really thinks that when I heard the odd noise as Lucy was jumping from the bed, that Lucy may have hurt herself. Lucy was on a bed she never gets on. She uses her front paws on the footboard and jumps from there, so we think she may have missed her step and bruised herself, possibly. We just did blood and urine tests on her a few months ago and since this came on so acutely, with a possible fall, she didn't run those again, today. She gave her a steroid injection which will last 3-5 days and Lucy returned home just like her own self, hungry for treats and jumping on the chair to rub all over me and sit by me. Night and day from what she was like this morning, crying and in hiding. If she shows the symptoms again, we'll start running more tests, but it looks like she hurt her fat self trying to get off the bed in the guest room. I have steps for her in my room.
    Sooooo, all is well with fingers crossed.

17. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/1/10 Callie AMPS 468 +3 351 +6 275 +9 337 pmps 435 +1.5 397 +3 377 +4 345
    Ketone test NEG

Glad you wrote Ginger. I was worried about Lucy. If it a deep tissue injury it will be painful, but will take a short time till the pain is lowered. In fact I have some nasty one now :) I thought steroids were not good for cats. Maybe that was cortizone? Anyway Lucy seems to be doing much better.. thank goodness. All is well here and Callie will only get one more test in an hour. I took another ketone test (NEG) and I even did a Diastick reading for BG since I wanted to see a range from high to low (hopefully) just in case I needed them for a moderate guess for small increments to augment the regular BG with a meter. If I know in advance what range then I can be prepared. Anyway, I'm happy Lucy is feeling better and no trouble found by the vet. I'll get 1 more reading and then it's nite nite for me. I' Hope your night is peaceful. Thanks for all your help :) Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

18. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Thanks for updating us on Lucy. I was thinking about her and hoping for some good news! I'm glad that she is feeling better and hoping she continues that way.

Callie is looking good! Nice to see she is getting some lower numbers already. :D

19. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Thanks to your both for your concern.

I was worried about the injection, but also battling anesthesia versus an injection and a few other issues. I made the decision and will hope it's the right one. Lucy is just as happy as a lark. She's playing and looking for tummy rubs and treats, like always. I hope we got her out of pain and that she'll be better when the injection wears off. She is my heart. Such a sweetheart! She gives nose kisses and she must always be touching me in some way when she gets in my bed at night. She'll stretch out her paw and put it on my arm as a last resort if I move around. She prefers burying her head in my neck, though!

Libby, I see you've started posting in LL. That's great. Lots of helpful suggestions there.

20. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/02/10 Callie AMPS 198

Hi Ginger! Sounds like a right decision to me. Lucy is playing and hopefully when the shot wears off she won't be in much or any pain. Lucy likes to just touch you with a paw if she can't snuggle (BG) That's exactly what Buddy does. He would rather spoon or be halfway on my lap, but since he is a big cat I can't reach over him to type, he is frustrated so will settle with a paw on my arm ...lol Hope your day is terrific you good mamma bean. Just figured out what that meant this morning (BG). Thanks Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

21. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

BLUE!!!!! I see BLUE on that SS!!!! Happy Caturday to you with BLUE!!!!!!!

Awww, Buddy does the stretched out paw, too! I love it when Lucy does that. Lucy would prefer to sleep with me at night, nose to nose, touching, but that cold wet nose doesn't make for a good night of rest!

22. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/02/10 Callie AMPS 198 +2 248 +5 264
    3rd Ketone test NEG

Hey Ginger! Yes Buddy will wrap both arms around my arm too. He will also stand on his back legs and wait till I pick him up .. then wrap his arms around my neck. It feels like I am carrying around a baby (BG). Cats are soooooo cute! I am happy to see blue too! It went up just a bit .. no large swing.I am looking forward to see what #s the later afternoon bring. Hugs to Lucy. You have a great day!!! thanks always .. Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    On AlphaTrak worry at 80 not 50
    Camp Hill, PA USA

23. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

I love to hear about the personalities of kitties!

24. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/02/10 Callie AMPS 198 +2 248 +5 264 +9 419
    Today Ketone test NEG

Hey Ginger .. I love to hear their stories too. Cats have very different personalities and it's fun to see what other kitties like and how they play and get attention from us beans :) Being here I have gotten a feeling of attachment to a lot of these FD kittys. I love to see the photos too. How is miss Lucy? Callie is doing great. I am having a quiet day, but did get out and get a new meter and strips. The strips are running out for my AlphaTrak and I need to be able to post results that are consistant with the others. Alpha is around 30 point s above human meters readings. I got a Care One so now I am going to check out who has this one. Couldn't find a ReliOn so this will do. Cheap and strips a around $20 less than others. I have enough strips from the other one to run some comparisons. Anyway I am ramblin so better run look over the specs of the new meter so I am ready for the PMPS :) Take care of you and of course Lucy! Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

25. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Miss Lucy is back to her old self. She's not shown any signs of any discomfort or feeling puny. She's snuggled up against my hip right now having a deep afternoon nap. I'm watching football, though, and she's not all that excited when I start yelling at the TV!

Good for you on the meters. You're doing so great! I'm glad Callie is feeling well and having a good day! You too! I hope you've gotten some rest and you're taking care of that arm!

26. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

Callie PMPS 372 +3 366

Hey Ginger .. so Miss Lucy doesn't like the excitement that comes with a good football game ..lol She will be fine .. she is getting to cuddle with mommy, so that should be contentment enough :) I am so glad she has perked up. It's never easy having a sick baby, but one that has multiple problems has to be rough on mamma bean! I have started to count myself as one of the lucky ones. The DX of FD was so frightening at first, but I can see that she has no symptoms anymore .. extreme thirst .. heavily peeing and very large appetite. All are gone and she acts just like the others .. as she used to be. I am a grateful woman. She is easy going with all the procedures too. Yes .. count me as very lucky! I am taking care of myself although I had the last few days not been eating right. The arm is still very bruised and I think the shoulder is out of joint some, but I am putting it back in the sling for a few days to help it heal better. I have to concentrate on one thing at a time right now and Callie is it. When she is stable .. then I'll get back to me ...lol Thanks Ginger for being there with me. Keep me up on Lucy too please. Give her a petting from me too :) Have a great evening. Time for me to take a last reading and go nite nite. Hugs Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    Camp Hill, PA USA

27. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

It's so wonderful to see the kitties get back to their personalities. I remember when I could tell Calliope felt better. She dug for one of my used socks in the laundry and carried it around the house making those "Ive caught something" noises. She was a hoot!

Fat Lucy is perched on the arm of the chair with half her body on my shoulder, head buried into my neck, cold nose included, purring loudly, as I type this. I need to get to bed.

Take care of yourself so your kitties will have you to take care of them!

28. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/03/10 Callie AMPS 166 +2 156 w/True2go +6 164 w/ReliOn Confirm

Hey Ginger .. I am picturing her doing the sock thing (BG) I bet that was very cute and funny. None of mine has ever entertained me in that way. They have been only "indoor" kitties. Buddy ripped open a screen at my daughters house and we went nuts looking for him. Laurel was even more upset than I was since I know how cats can find their way home. He came back and she wanted proof that I wasn't just making her feel better so I had to take a picture and send it to her in the Islands where she & Tom were vacationing! He did it once again at her home, but that time Missy ( Mississippi Belle) followed. I found her in a hole where the basement window was and figure she is not really an adventurer after all. She just must have been curious as to where he was going (BG). Buddy isn't allowed to go into her sunroom anymore :) Maybe when the weather cools and the windows are closed .. we'll see (BAD BAD BOY). My sweet Callie wasn't about to get into the mix. Sensible cat! Well they do provide us love and entertainment :) It's funny how they act like children when they think you are too busy doing "other" things and should be paying attention to THEM! Callie wants me to look her in the eyes while petting her .. to be sure it's all about HER! LOL
    I did get a ReliOn today and a bargain it was. I did her reading when I got home with it and it seems to be in line. She is having a BLUE day! YEA .. you go girl (BG) Thanks for sharing your stories with me. I love to hear all about cat antics. Always amusing these kids of ours! Have a good rest. I am sooo calm now that I have a reliable meter that people here are familiar with. I'm so relaxed I am taffy (G) Pet Miss Lucy for me and I'll TTYL Thanks & hugs ..Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy)

Callie's SS
    HT BG with ReliOn
    Camp Hill, PA USA

29. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Great news on the meter and the BLUES today! I'm so happy to hear that. We learn as we go and sometimes have to make adjustments, but it works out.

My kitties are all indoor kitties, as well, though Mr. Snuggles tries awfully hard to slip outside. He got away for a night, once, and I nearly lost my mind. He's fast as flying through a door when it opens. I've tripped over him a few times when I was trying to get through the doors myself without him going out with him. I'm constantly having to retrieve him. Thank goodness, he found his way back home. He got out once when it snowed here, last year. He was out for a few hours before I realized he was gone, but he was at the back door. He didn't care for the polar adventure. In order to soothe his outdoor desires, I let he and Lil' Christmas hang out in my enclosed garage. He likes to sleep in the driver's seat of my car or on top of the roof. I have an old stuffed rocker out there and he and Christmas snuggle up in that. That's as close to outside as he's getting voluntarily!

Have a great day!

30. Libby & Callie

Libby & Callie Member

10/5 Callie's AMPS 399
    Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/view ... 69#p269969

Hi Ginger .. Sounds like Mr. Snuggles is a sensible cat! Wet and cold? Cat nightmare (BG) Don't trip over him now. You don't want a messed up arm like me :lol: I am slowing down some for a few days. Have to pack more stuff :( Callie is doing well and I am winding down the tension. Need to go get cracking now but will check in later this PM Thanks & hugs ... Libby and Callie (and civvies: brother Buddy and sister Missy

HT BG with ReliOn
    Camp Hill, PA USA

31. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Look at all that pretty blue! Okay so there are still some pink and yellow but there's blue, lots of blue...lol.

Glad to hear you are slowing down some and that Calliope is doing so well.

Mel

32. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

Things are going so well, here! Don't fret over the higher number. Time will tell as to what that means! Happy you are lessening the tension!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.