Cammie ~ not so good update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cheryl & Tux, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

I know that I don't post a lot anymore; I do read the boards regularly but I really don't have a lot to add since the only insulin I've ever used was Humulin U. Anyway, I thought that there still might be some who remember us and might be interested in an update

Cammie had her 6 month checkup with her cardiologist yesterday and the news isn't good. Her heart disease is progressing and she has fluid building up in her heart (it is not in her lungs at this point). Our plan at this point is to wean her off the Atenolol and start her on Enalapril (2.5 mg/day) and Lasix (6.25 mg/day) and recheck her in 2 weeks. Hopefully at that time we'll find that her heart is improving but there are no guarantees. Her dental has been canceled as Dr. R feels that going under anesthesia would put Cammie into chronic heart failure. :YMSIGH:

This is depressing but I have to admit that I'm not really surprised. I've had this feeling for awhile that something just wasn't right with Cammie and, honestly, this does explain a lot of things that have been going on around here; most notably the "tension" between TinkerBella and Cammie. Cammie has been the undisputed and unchallenged top cat here since the day TinkerBella arrived (and Tinker was content to accept that). For the past couple of months, though, TinkerBella has been bothering (for lack of a better word) Cammie; nothing overt just "little" things like running over the couch right where Cammie is lying or just pushing her way into Cammie's space. I've been writing a lot of it off as displaced aggression on Tink's part due to the tension between her and Chino but it could easily be Tinker attempting to take the top cat spot, I guess. Chino sensing that Cammie is ill could also be causing some of his tension/issues as well I suppose. And Cammie's unexplained weight loss and occasional vomiting over the last few weeks (that I wrote off to hairballs) could also be heart related, I guess.

I'm doing my best not to think "worst case" and I'll do whatever Cammie needs me to do and what is in her best interests but I've got to say that I'm just not ready for this! We've not had 5 years together yet!

Cammie, on the other hand, apparently did not listen to the Dr yesterday as she spent a good 10 or 15 minutes this morning playing with the toys and chasing a ping pong ball around the house this morning. I think it may be her way of telling me that the pity party is over, she feels good and that we both need to live in the here and now not in what might be. My job now is to follow her lead. My grouchy girl still has a lot to teach me apparently.

It is kind of sad to see Tink trying to take over but I know it's just the natural order of things. I'll do my best to let them sort it out while ensuring that Cammie does not suffer from it. I'll make sure that she keeps her favorite sleeping spots and her normal routine as much as possible.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Waldo is on Enalpril, Lasix and Plavix. His "condition" is progressing also. I'm supposed to keep him calm. You would never know this kitty has a heart condition the way he runs around. *sigh* he doesnt know he's sick.

Sending prayers for Cammie,
    Jeanne

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Many good thoughts for Cammie and for you (((((Cheryl)))))

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Well, I had posted but apparently didn't hit the submit button right. Just a bad day here with one of my civies but Cammie is in the best hands with Dr. R. Sending prayers that switching to Enalapril and Lasix helps and you have a lot more good years with your girl.

5. Cheryl & Tux

Cheryl & Tux Member

Thank you, ladies.

Hope, you are right; Dr. R. is the best! She's been taking great care of Cammie for that last 2 or 3 years and if there is anything that we can try/do I have no doubt that Dr. R. will know about it. Sorry to hear that you are having a bad day with your kitty and sending lots of love and prayers your way.

Jeanne, I'll keep Waldo in my thoughts and prayers as well.

6. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl

I hope Cammie's new med protocol improves her heart condition.
    I'm glad she is happy and playing.

Thanks for the update.
    I think you are mistaken when you write:

I'm thinking you have a lot to share. There are many newbies every day looking for help with hometesting and non insulin specific FD information. Hope to see you around more !

Please let us know how Cammie does on the new meds.

7. Terri & Tananda

Terri & Tananda Member

Cheryl,

I'll keep both you and Cammie in my prayers. I'm sure you know that Lasix is a diuretic, this should help to relive the fluid in her chest. My cat also has a heart condition and gets fluid in her chest. She is currently on Enalipril for her heart, with Lasix and Spirnolactone to control the fluid build up. I wish you the best of luck and hope that Cammie is feeling better soon.
    Kindest Regards
    Terri

8. Fitz & Maggie & Mom

Fitz & Maggie & Mom New Member

Cheryl--
    My heart is with you and yours. It's fascinating to hear the interaction between your cats. My Fitz (just diagnosed with diabetes this week) has always been king of the hill here. I brought him home at 3 months old, and he climbed up into bed with me and tried to nurse on my ear lobe! We have been so close, but he was always very interested in other cats.

So when he was 4yrs old I brought him a little sister who had been tossed away in a paper bag with her littermates at just a few weeks of age. He welcomed her, but also let her know he was the privileged firstborn! Whenever she found a new place to sleep, he would make it his own.

In the last year Maggie has asserted herself more, insisting that Fitz respect her grooming time with me every morning. And he does.

This week when Fitz was diagnosed I brought him home and he wouldn't eat. Maggie refused to eat as well. And the next day she did the same. I can understand why Fitz didn't eat--he was so stressed out from going to the vet. But I never would have believed that Maggie would give up her food for anything or anyone! She knows that something is wrong.

Today I got them both to eat some EVO canned food. I can't imagine Maggie without Fitz in her life; hopefully we'll both still have a long time with His Majesty.

All the best with Cammie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.