Can an Acrocat get pancreatitis?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

Not sure how common it is... but I am bringing Toby into the vet in about 15 min because he didn't want to eat this morninrg (Toby normally is quite the eater). He occasionally goes through phases where he isn't quite a voracious/aggressive eater as usual, but he does eat. This morning he actually walked away without eating. I was on my way out the door so I had DH keep him in the bathroom with the food and monitor him. The first time I called, Toby hadn't eaten, so I had DH give him a can of tuna, hoping he would eat that, or atleast drink the tuna water. When he gave it to him, Toby wasn't interested in that either... but within a few hours from when I left, I called again and Toby had eaten some tuna and some of the catfood. He had been laying around sprawled across the floor, not really his norm. He also has done an odd cry a little bit the last few days, wonder if that was from abd pain?

As I was talking to my DH it just struck me... pancreatitis. I am wondering if the phases he had before of slightly decreased appetite were mild flares and this one was worse? Maybe it was a flare and now he is getting better? Can pancreatitis occur with acro? I'll talk to my vet and see what they think, though I'm guessing they may not be overly knowledgeable about pancreatitis...

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

The short answer is Yes ---

Good luck!

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

yes!

Both of mine have had it.

Shadoe was very sick and stopped eating, so i gave her SQuids at home and also pain meds, and eventually she started to eat and feel better.

Oliver also had a raised value, so just mild case for him. He did no exhibit any signs at all.

it is best to test while have problems and get pain meds and fluids.
    Pepcid helps alot too.

usually they sit in a meatloaf type position so sprawled out sounds different to me.

Good luck at the vet.

4. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

Thanks for the info!

I know about FD and pancreatitis, but wasn't sure if acro could or not since their pancreas doesn't really have the same issue.

5. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

My poor little Tobykins!!!! I hope he's okay. :(

6. sanrun

sanrun Member

Cecil had pancreatitis. He didn't have the typical flare ups, though. I had him tested him test for it, because he vomited food up a regular basis. I could count on coming home to puke on the floor at least once a week.

Sandy & Dottie

7. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I suspect KB had a flare when he didn't want to eat once, but by the time the vet agreed to run a test the following week he was over it and there wasn't any point then.

Borrowing this from Meadow's condo:

8. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Cody had it last August, - triaditis actually , which is pancreas, gall bladder and liver I think, all messed up where they intersect in the upper colon area. It was confirmed with an US. Unfortunately, it is very hard to diagnose definitively.

Its interesting- I'm noticing a lot of cats seeming "off" right now- I wonder if the hot weather has something to do with it- dehydration--> hard poo, ---> backed up plumbing---> pancreatitis. Interesting theory....hummmm

9. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I add water to all their foods; Oliver must consume almost 2cups water a day in his foods. I add alot especially if I am putting some Lax a Day in his foods as it draws water from the body to loosen the stools.

Most definitely the heat will upset the animals, just like it does us.

If you suspect pancreatitis, you must test at that time because it's just like a fever ... if you feel hot now, why wait till next week to take your temp? That is just silly.

I think 'itis' indicates inflammation, so there's a pancreas, it can become inflamed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.