? Can anybody try to help me figure out what is going on?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bumpsy & Shady, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

It seems like maybe my insulin isn't working anymore. His BG doesn't seem to be going down like it use to. I missed a shot about four days ago, but have been pretty consistent since then and he just keeps testing high. Should I get new insulin? Obviously that is really expensive, so I only want to do that, if that's the issue. Should I try upping the dose? Could it be the test strips? I believe I just opened a new pack of strips less than two weeks ago. Anyone got any other suggestions before I try to buy another bottle?

I bought the original bottle in early October, but I know they last a long while for some people. It's been refrigerated since I bought it. Does it just stop working sometimes?

What would you do?

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

It's unlikely to have just gone off like that.

Are you able to get any tests midcycle?

How is he? Is he feeling well? Peeing a lot? Hungry?

How's he skin now? Did you figure out what was causing the problems? Did you swap insulin or are you still using lantus?
    Here's your last posthttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/i-think-my-cat-might-be-allergic-to-lantus.188670/

Looking at the numbers it seems more probable that he is dropping down lower than he is used to then bouncing back up by the next shot.

Of course there's no guarantee that's what's happening, what I would strongly encourage you to do is to get a couple of tests in the am and in the pm cycle, doesn't matter when, whatever fits best with you, so you can at least get some idea of how low this dose is taking him.

Lantus dosing is based on how low the dose is taking him, so you really should be trying to run a curve weekly to give you some idea of how the dose is working for him. Though if he happens to be bouncing on curve day, that can be of limited value. Getting a couple of tests on each cycle (as well as the amps and pmps) can be more informative than weekly curves with just ps values. But of course that's going to depend on your schedule.

If you gather a bit of data over the next few days it will probably help you figure out what's going on..

Bumpsy & Shady likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We need to see some more tests at times between the shots.

Lantus dosing is based on how LOW it takes them....without getting mid-cycle tests, there's no way to know what's really going on.

If at all possible during the day, get a test somewhere around +5 to +7

You also have no tests other than the PMPS on the PM cycle....most cats go lower at night so it's really important to get at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle.....and if you can't get mid-cycle tests on the AM cycle due to work, it's even more important to get some tests on that PM cycle

Bumpsy & Shady likes this.
  4. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

Yes, he's peeing a lot and very hungry.

I haven't figured out the skin thing yet (I don't think the vet took me seriously. Said they would call me back regarding getting a urine sample, but never did. My regular vet moved, so now I have to deal with people that don't know our history. Also, inventory coming up at work, so very heavy work schedule for the next week. Will try to make an appointment after that to try to figure it out, but that seems like it will still be a long way out.) Yes, still using Lantus.

I think tonight's shot was a fur shot (@#$%^!), and now I'm wondering if any of the previous were as well. I will try to get some mid cycle tests in the coming days to see if that helps me figure this out.

Thanks for your response!

5. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

You're welcome.
    I hate it when folk don't call you back.:mad:

Don't sweat it, they happen, make a note of the family on the SS.
    What makes you say that? You usually get a strong smell from the lantus on their fur if you have a fs.
    Keep us posted and we'll try help you figure it out.

6. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

I DO understand what you are saying about the mid cycle tests, but what is really bothering me about this situation, is that prior to this high stretch, and even though I was still not doing the mid cycle tests, you could see that the Lantus was working, AND that was on a slightly lower dose. I will try to get some mid cycle tests in the next few days to try to figure this out.

Thanks for your response!

7. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

IDK, just doubting myself.

Recently (like in the past few days since we've been having this problem) I've also been worried about air bubbles in the syringe. What I mean is that if there is a air bubble, is that "lowering" the dose (because he is not getting the full amount). So recently I've been drawing a little more than needed and squirting the excess into a paper towel to try to make sure there are no air bubbles. Maybe if there was a Lantus smell, I would have just thought I was smelling that, and not necessarily thinking fur shot.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus has a very strong smell....the best way I can think of to describe it is that it smells like a Band-aid factory

Some people say it smells like Scotch, but since I don't drink Scotch, I wouldn't know!!

But if I gave China a furshot, there was no mistaking it!

9. Bumpsy & Shady

Bumpsy & Shady Member

lol - Band-aid factory is a good description!

But was I smelling it from squirting excess on the paper towel, or fur shots? Doubting myself, but now I'm really not sure. I'm sure I'm not alone, but morning tests/shots are always groggy, PM shots are always after work/commute (eh, groggy, lol). Maybe I need more coffee (or scotch?)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.