Can anyone in Balt./Wash. area spare some Levemir?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Angel (GA), Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

Angel is doing extremely poorly these days, in every way. While Lantus was working so-so for a while, it's no longer working. I've had to give her R exclusively over the past few weeks, which is wreaking havoc on my schedule and potentially jeopardizing my job. I've been trying ProZinc this weekend, but the shots I've given her so far have had zero effect (not surprisingly, since the same thing happened last year with PZIVet).

I tried Levemir last year, and it worked most of the time, but often too well. The last time I tried it, Angel went "LO" on the meter, and I sold the remaining new pens and threw away the one I'd used. However, at that time, I hadn't yet discovered the huge differences there can be in the location of the zero line on the syringes. After I bought a magnifying glass and started really examining them, I found that there can be as much as 0.5 unit of distance between the end of the barrel and the zero mark - definitely enough to cause serious problems for a tiny, low-dose cat like Angel.

So I'd like to give Levemir another try, but I don't want to spend another $200 on a new Rx for 5 pens, when it may take only a few days to see that it's not going to work for her. If someone has a pen you're willing to sell to me, please send me a PM. I'd prefer to find someone local to me, so I can pick it up in person ASAP. Thanks!

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Hope you can find something that will work for you.

I just wanted to point out that both Lev and Lantus cannot be determined useful in a matter days as they are start low and go slow insulins. It takes a while to fill up the shed and then get the kitty's body functioning on it. You wouldn't even adjust a dosage until 7 days (unless she dropped too low) in order to get a clear picture of what is going on.

I don't know anything about the other ones you've tried, but I think a weekend would not be enough time for the insulin to start working either.

Are you working with a vet at all? Have you looked over the protocol on Lev and Lantus? Steady even dosing over time has the best possibility of regulation and remission.

3. Heather & Angel (GA)

Hi Melanie,

No time to explain, but don't worry, I know what I'm doing - I've been at this for 7 years. Angel's story is long and complicated, and of course I"m working with a vet.

We've tried probably every insulin that's out there, but Angel seems to have resistance problems to the PZI formulations.

4. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

I was able to buy a single pen of Lantus at Sam's. They were the only ones i found that would sell them individually. AND on top they price-matched the lowest full box price i found (div. by 5 for the single). They just called to verify the price first. Thought I'd pass it on if that helps.

good luck!

5. Heather & Angel (GA)

Hey, thanks, Betty! I'm not a member of Sam's, so I've never thought to check there. In the past, I'd found that the cheapest place for Lantus and Levemir was Rite Aid because of their family discount card, but even so it's over $200 for Levemir, I think. Since I've already spent an incredible amount on vet bills in the past week, and will have to spend much more tomorrow since a cardio consult is needed, I could really use some help.

6. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

Guess what...I'm not a member either. They sell pharmacy to the public. (with RX) ...and apparently alcoholic BEVERAGES, as well! (can't vouch for that one!)

I had them price match Costco, which was the cheapest i found for the 5-pen box. This was Lantus not Levemir.
    Costco on the other hand would NOT price match or sell the single. I paid $38-39 for the single pen. $12.50-ish for box of syringes. (w/ 1/2 unit marks)

Same for me on all the above. Hank's DX came at a time already of great financial strain w/ no income. My Visa bill just came in and is hard to even look at.
    Between strips and meds, premium foods and even freeze dried chicken treats...I've been drowning.
    Error messages and wasting strips is like burning $$.

Oh, BTW, Sams is cash/check only, no credit card.

Call em' - good luck!

7. Heather & Angel (GA)

"I've been drowning. ..Error messages and wasting strips is like burning $$."

OMG, you're so right!! The last 2 boxes of OTU strips I bought online have been seriously defective, so often I have to use 3 or 4 strips to get one that works. And with Angel needing BG checks every few hours because of the short-acting insulin, this is hellish on her poor little ears. I've had this problem in the past with strips I've bought other places online, but never this place before. The OTU people have told me that there are lots of counterfeit strips out there... kinda scary.

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Heather,

Diabetic Cats in Need just had 3 pens of Levemir shipped to Columbia, MD, for delivery tomorrow for a DCIN-sponsored cat, Jasmine/Kitty. I'm sure we can share. Please contact Marvie and Tugger, the DCIN case manager for that cat.

9. Marvie and Tugger

Marvie and Tugger Well-Known Member

I'll be around all day Heather, if you get in touch with me we can set something up for you =) You can send me a pm or email me at marvienewcomb @ gmail . com (remove spaces) and we'll work it out.

10. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Heather,

I realize you've been at this for a long time, I have been treating Tucker since 2005 and have adopted three other FDs during this time.

I would urge you to rethink how you are giving insulin.

It took me a very long time to unlearn the Humulin and the different PZI insulins I was very used to in order to give the Levemir a chance to work correctly with my cats.

I know you are not looking for advice here, but I would be remiss if I didn't let you know that even with difficult kitties, Tucker being IBD, chronic pancreatitis and now a brain tumor so he's on steroids, my Misty had stomach cancer and Sadie had a severe heart condition and needed R booster shots with each PZI shot. Once you learn how to use Lev you may never need the R again, although admittedly I do keep it on hand at all times.

11. Heather & Angel (GA)

Thanks, you guys... I'll be in touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.