? Can anyone recommend a syringe magnifier?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shoeskitty-GA, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

This is the one I always used from Harbor Freight and I really like it. i also bought a light box from Amazon and so I had light under and above. Worked great.

Shoeskitty-GA likes this.
  3. Shoeskitty-GA

4. Ken & Tara

Ken & Tara Member

I used this magnifying headset. I don't use the lights on the headset. I held the bottle and syringe in one hand, with a light source behind, so the syringe was between my eyes and the light source, and my second hand was holding the caliper. If only I'd had a third hand to manipulate the plunger! I wondered about making a clip-on screw device to finely adjust the plunger, but decided against it. No need anymore.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

6. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

I'm at the itty bitty dosing stage now with Sparkle and I am doing two things to try to get the dosing. One, I find that if I look at the side of the syringe so I am looking at the zero line and the top of the syringe plunger (the black part), I feel like I can see better than trying to see between the lines. The other way I am doing, is taking the new syringe and drawing up some insulin, paying attention to where I drew. Then I squeeze it out in droplets and count them. I do this several times till I feel confident in what I am drawing on that syringe to get the drops I want. It isn't a perfect way, but with the possibility that each syringe may vary with its markings I'm getting a good feel for what to draw for drops. Yes, it's wasted insulin, but I have plenty and wasting a few drops to practice what I am doing right before I do the real shoot, works for me.
    I never thought about magnifying. The right light with a loop like I use for IDing marks on jewelry might be another way to "see" what I am drawing up.
    I wasn't able to get comfortable with the caliper, but I know it works well for other people.
    Best to you!
    Pepper

7. Shoeskitty-GA

8. Shoeskitty-GA

I would never be able to use the calipers. And you are right about the inconsistency of the markings on the syringes. Have not tried the "drops" method yet.

9. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

I just made up the drops method. I'm always trying to solve things my own way. The method might not be "approved" by other people here. I love the magnifying idea and will try that at Sparkle's next shot.

10. Shoeskitty-GA

Even if it is your method, it could work. When looking at the pictorial guide for fine doses, it does who a fat drop as .1 so it would make sense that 2 fat drops would be .2 units.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Carson Clip and Flip - if you already wear glasses, these clip on the frame. Very helpful and can be flipped up out of the way when you need regular vision for a moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.