Can cats have allergies?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathleen and Fred, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

My Lucy (not diabetic - sister to diabetic Fred) has been sputtering and sneezing for the last month. We visited the Vet who said it was not a cold and that she would get over it eventually. There's no mucus or discharge of any kind, so no meds were prescribed. But, I just feel so sorry for her condition. She has to stop and sneeze until whatever it is passes.

Any ideas? Allergies? Something else?

Many thanks,
    Kathleen and Fred and Lucy

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Cats can have allergies. Tucker was tested for airborne allergies and he's got a lot, grass, pollen, mold, dust, all the good stuff. He also has food allergies. His airborne allergy presents with ear infections, not sneezing. My Trouble(GA) was allergic to mold, he sneezed all the time.

You could try adding some L-Lysine to your kitty's food in case is really is an upper resp. type cold. That helps boost the immune system. We use it when we foster kittens or bring a new elder kitty to live with us. Sometimes they come to us with head stuff going on.

If that doesn't work after a while, talk to your doctor about allergy meds. My Bean takes an allergy pill.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

My civie, Abigail, has allergies. She presents like Jenn's cat with the ear problems. But she also has discharge from her eyes and sneezes on occasion. I agree that you should try the l-lysine to see if it helps. If not I would go back to the vet and have them check her heart to be safe that is isn't anything else. Not trying to scare you, I would just try to rule out everything.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh yeah they can...tom is allergic to fleas and beef. that i know of.

5. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

If not, it will be news to my vet, who just advised that Kitty's ear shakes were probably allergies (ears are nice and clean, no mites or anything) -- very commonly seen in this area in cats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.