Can Cerenia Make Cat Worse?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by geekgirldany, Nov 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgirldany

geekgirldany Member

Re my previous thread
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/elevated-alp-and-alt.168543/

Vet gave Catee Cerenia for vomiting... since then he has stopped drinking water and is not eating at all. Before I took him to the vet he was atleast drinking water and eating a little bit.

Could the Cerenia have made him worse? Vet gave him a shot of it.
    How long does it last in the system?

2. jamies

jamies Member

All cats are different and I would check with your vet but my cat stopped eating on it.
    The vet told me to not give it to him and sure enough he started eating again.

3. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Cerenia never agreed with Katie either. She was given it a couple times (injection) and each time got worse after. She was groggy , "out of it" and not eating. I wont let her have it again. It's been a few years now, but as I recall it was about 24 hours it stayed with her before she wont back to normal. My understanding is that most cats do well with it and it helps them, but ECID.

4. geekgirldany

geekgirldany Member

Thank you all. It was 24 hours about 2 hours ago. That is exactly how he was acting, out of it and sleeping. Just wanting to be left alone and sleep.

Thank you both for posting your experience. That is one thing I will make sure is down not to give him.

Katiesmom, what is ECID?

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

ECID = Every Cat Is Different.

6. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I hope he feels better soon.

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

As others have advised, every living thing is different. Not all medications agree with all who take them. My experience with Cerenia injections is that the anti-nausea effect lasts a bit less than 24 hours in an adult cat. According to this page on drugs.com the average half-life of the drug in adult cats when administered as a subcutaneous injection is 17.2 hours. According to the section of the article on adverse reactions:

Alternative nausea treatments include ondansetron (generic is much cheaper than branded Zofran version). Slippery elm bark is a natural, soothing remedy which can help with GI upsets and nausea. It might be worth trying these alternatives; cat nausea is a problem that needs to be addressed ASAP because they must keep eating (as I know only too well from painful experience).

There is very useful information on nausea and its treatment on this page.

Has Catee eaten anything since you posted? I certainly hope that his appetite has improved; it's awful when we can't get our little ones to eat. Try to see whether you can tempt Catee to eat a little mashed up food from your hand. Warming food helps, too. Other things to try at following links:

Persuading cat to eat

Suggestions on how to stimulate appetite

Another thing to check for is whether a kitty may be constipated; this can make them very nauseated, even make them vomit. Sometimes diarrhoea can leak around a stuck stool. The site www.felineconstipation.org is very helpful. If constipation is a cause of nausea a very short period of treatment with metoclopramide (Reglan) can help to improve gut motility. (Course needs to be short because metoclopramide has some nasty neurological side effects, some of which may be irreversible if the medication is given over too long a period.)

A course of B12 injections can be a help with appetite issues, too.

:bighug:

Mogs

8. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

this is interesting... I have never heard of a bad reaction to cerenia? I wonder if the pill would be better since it would release slower? Maybe the injection was too fast acting ?
    (thinking out loud)
    glad your kitty is better!

9. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

maybe ondansetron would agree more with you kitty? injection or pill....

10. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Metoclopramide is the med for nausea my old vet used all the time. He said it was safe to give long term. It doesn't do anything for Smoky to help his symptoms. I am glad I didn't give it to him more than a few days.

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Metoclopramide mucks around with the dopamine system and can give rise to disorders of movement (some of which may be irreversible, e.g. tardive dyskinesia). Also when it comes to nausea relief cats have very few of the receptors it targets, hence its lack of efficacy in treating feline nausea (other than nausea arising from constipation issues). There is some info on this in the following:

IDEXX pancreatitis treatment guidelines

I had a bit of a job persuading our vet to prescribe ondansetron for Saoirse; initially he insisted on metoclopramide. It did very little to help with the nausea and even though she was only on it for a couple of weeks she developed a head twitch. Thankfully it disappeared as soon as the metocloporamide was stopped. Ondansetron worked far better.

Mogs

LuanneP likes this.
  12. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I will ask another vet about this med for Smoky. I am going to talk to a practice close to me familiar with FD.

Critter Mom and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. lynneat

lynneat New Member

My cat was given Convenia and Cerenia and has vomited, constipated after diarehea (sp) I put little bits of food in water mixed into a syringe and gave tiny bits at a time. This kept her going. Finally with Zofran she is improving and eating. I hope she goes tomorrow.....it's been 3 days. Gave catlax. Praying. What AWFUL medicine to give! and long acting meds (antibiotics) should never be given if possible. Take care all.

14. lynneat

lynneat New Member

. Ondansetron IS Zofran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.