Can constipation affect BG#'s?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hello, it's me again :mrgreen:

Can a constipated kitty have any efftects on their BG?

Webber has not had a good poo in a while. He has always had an issue with this and I used to give him latulose. I started the Miralax bu t I think I need to increase it for him. Call me crazy, am I pulling at strings? ohmygod_smile

2. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Lots of issues can cause the BG to rise... including constipation. Sundance's numbers would go up when she was a bit bound up.

But considering meter variance, it's not as if Webber's numbers are so much higher than a few days ago. You are on the right track with your dosing it looks like... And I know that seeing numbers at this point that are not much different from when you started at .5u is a bit frustrating but keeping steady on and increasing in little bits will work... the right dose will be found and you'll see some good numbers.

To help the constipation, add a bit more water to the wet food...And remember to exercise him quite a bit - that helps the BG go down.

For how long has he been constipated? When was his last poo? This could be serious if left. What is he eating?

3. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Yes--the longer it goes on the more effects you will see.

If you started him on 1/8 tsp twice a day, I'd bump up either the morning or the evening dose a bit more. Use small increments so that you don't end up giving him diarrhea. And make sure you are adding lots of water to him food bowl with the Miralax in it. Miralax needs lots of water to do its thing.

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input Victoria and Terri.

The last little poo that he had was Sunday evening. However, when he is constipated I always see him go to the litter box over and over trying to go. I have not seen that. I have read the phrase "less garbage in less garbage out". Maybe he just doesn'tneed to go as much as before. Prior to his diagnosis and when still eating dry food he would go up to 4 or more days with out a poo. Before we got his symptoms of diabetes under control (drinking alot) and starting the wet food, he was for the first time in years, having regular poo's. But now that he no longer drinks any extra water, that has stopped.

I will increase the Miralax as Terri suggested. I am putting it on all the kitties food. They are getting Fancy Feast and Sophisticat twice a day. I also add quite a bit of water (make it like a pudding consistency).

Victoria - you are correct. His BG's have not really changed since we first started. Some day we will see some action in both BG numbers and poo. angry(2)_cat

5. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I add enough water for Lucy that it's like soup. Pudding consistency isn't enough water, IMHO.

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I will try that Terri--thank you truely.

@Victoria - I forgot to mention that we cannot really exercise Webber due to his past orthopedic surgeries and injuries. Poor thing can't jump around like a real kitty. That is how we tore is ACL the first time. :sad: But I will try to get him to run a little. :mrgreen:

7. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Awww.. I'm sorry to hear that he has an injury.... I suppose stimulation and having him bat at a feather toy might still help though... just a bit more activity then he normally does.

Keep us posted.

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Update - we had poo this morning! Mommy happy :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.