? Can I dose Jack .2 when his PMPS is only 120?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Mar 19, 2019.

1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I finally got brave enough, last night, to give Jack insulin with a low PMPS (without asking first). Tonight, he is only 120 @ +12, and I'm not sure what I should do. Should I give him .2U like I did last night when his BG was 137? Or should I give him a smidge (pushing down the syringe before I put it in the insulin, and then releasing--once it's in the insulin--to get that smidge)? Or should I give him nothing?
    I'm going to feed him now, so I'll have to make a decision soon. I'll probably go for the smidge if I don't have any suggestions by that time.
    Argh! This is a bit nerve racking.
    ~ Carolyn

Edited to add: I decided that I'm giving him .2U, and I'll get a test before bed time.
    And...Edited to add again: I went with a smidge.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think you could give him a dose IF you can be sure to get a +2 to see where he's headed and be sure that you can stay up with him if you need to. He's gone up or stayed fairly steady before at lower preshot numbers. I might do the smidge though instead of the 0.2. He isn't really rising at all, and has gone down a bit (not enough to matter really but still down some) since +10. It might not be enough, but you could get some data on it and see what it does and then it will help guide decisions in the future...and will be so little it should keep him safe without having to skip.

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thanks Rachel. I went with the smidge.

4. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I agree with Rachel If you can prepare to stay up if needed Sometimes we need to collect the data so we can make more informed decisions going forward

5. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I gave him just a little smidge, but I don't know if he really got anything. But at least I don't have to be afraid of him going to low. I'll get braver than this someday... :)

6. Lisa and little

Hopefully you can get some PM tests so we can see what happens with the smidge!! Better safe than sorry and your mental well being is important as well. :bighug:

7. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I'll get a 2-hour test in a few minutes.

8. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

And...he was 273 @+2, so I can snooze without worry now. He's such a sweetie. He knows I keep the freeze dried minnows in the cabinet under the sink (we test in the bathroom), and he always goes directly to the cabinet the second we're done. But right now, he got ahead of himself and walked directly to the cabinet, purring his little heart out. He's been so good for these tests. I feel like a proud mama. Anyway...I don't think the smidge did much, but at least now I know. If his PMPS is low again tomorrow (as it has been), I'll dose a little higher and get some bed time tests in.

Kris & Teasel, Djamila and Rachel like this.
  9. Lisa and little

Lol. Awhhhhh.. now I wanna hug him!! Good job. Now you have that data. Nighty nite

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing how they settle into the routine? Whenever I read about vets saying home testing will stress out a cat, I have to chuckle. They may not love the ear pokes, but the consistency of the routine plus the guaranteed head scratches and treats more than makes up for it! :cat:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Through all of the stress of Jack being diagnosed, there has certainly been some high points. I've heard others here say that there is a bond that develops between us and our sugar babies, and that couldn't be more true. And I've learned so much about my gentle giant (Jack). I had no idea that he would be this tolerant. He cracked me up this morning! The morning tests are always the hardest because all 5 of my cats are hungry. (I recently lost two cats, so it still feels so odd and sad to say 5 and not 7.:() This morning, as all of them were trying their darnedest to convince me that they were starving to death, Jack walked down the hall and stood in front of the bathroom. (I live in a one floor duplex, so I could see this from the kitchen where all of the other cats were positioned.) It was as if he was telling me to get on with the testing so everyone could eat. He was willing to take it on the chin for all of them! :woot::woot:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Kris & Teasel, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  12. Lisa and little

Love it. They truly are special. I think they know we are helping them..

13. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I absolutely believe they know we are helping them.

Kris & Teasel, Rachel and Djamila like this.