Can I feed Grey after giving him insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jamie, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie

Jamie New Member

Hi, I'm new to this. Just took Grey home today after 10 days at vet. Need a quick answer. I just gave him a shot of PZI. Forgot to ask the vet if I can/should feed him afterwards (I gave him 1/2 can Fancy Feast before shot). Can someone please advise me? This is all so new and complicated. Thanks. PS. I'm not even sure I can retrieve it if someone sends me an answer to my question.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi Jamie and welcome!

yes, you can feed some more now if Grey is still hungry. Which, in a newly diagnosed diabetic, they do tend to be more hungry since they can't utilize their food fully when their diabetes is out of control.

was Grey at the vet so long due to other problems or did they vet say it was necessary to "regulate" them there? if there were other problems can you tell us what they were? like ketones perhaps?

if you are asking if you can give the shot and then feed (not feeding before the shot) then i would say only if Grey is not a finicky eater or a puke-r. you don't want to give insulin and then have a cat go on strike on you and not eat anything at all because their glucose levels can drop too much if that happens. i personally do feed right after giving the shot because if I fed Mousie first she would never sit still for her test & shot :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.