Can my cat die from constipation?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robin and Angelbait, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin and Angelbait

Robin and Angelbait New Member

I think it's an emergency but I won't have access to a car for 12 hours. I have no idea when she last pooped, but I got a new bottle of Insulin 3 days ago and noticed she started vomiting then. I was so wrapped up in diabetes and she's never been constipated before I wasn't paying attention to bowel movements. But it seems clear now. She did play today and ate this morning, but since then she's exhibited all the signs -- straining, hunching, awkward gait, inappetance, no more playing, she's lethargic and hiding under the bed. I gave her a bit of subC fluids, and several baby enemas -- warm soapy water, about 2 TBLSPNS, and she tried but didn't go. Her BGL's are up by about 70 from where I expect the reading to be (370), it was 279 this morning. I called the emergency hospital and they were horrible, just inattentive to symptoms and "bring her in." I don't have a car rt now and as usual only a couple hundred to spend, so it has to be the regular vet. I am beside myself, can she die tonight? Experienced answers please. Thanks in advance.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i can't answer your question but you might want to edit your post and add the 911 icon to it. do you know how to do that?

3. Robin and Angelbait

No, it's all new. She's unresponsive. I can't find out if constipation is itself a condition/illness potentially life-threatening, or if it's a symptom of something else. All the websites aren't helping at all. Of course I came here, now I need to learn how the new system works.

4. LynnLee + Mousie

k, i'm running out the door but i've pm'd someone and hopefully they'll pop in here.

to 911 your post, go to your first one and in the lower right corner there's an "edit" button. click that. it will re-open your original post. at the top see the options for buttons, click the 911 one

5. LynnLee + Mousie

non-responsive? what do you mean?

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

what do you mean by unresponsive?

Careful with the enemas, some kinds are not good for cats. Please don't give another unless somebody can tell you definitively that it is ok.

I don't have experience with this, but I can ask questions so there will be more information when others come by. Has she eaten tonight? Vomiting tonight? Diarrhea? Is she urinating ok? How often is she trying to go, all the time or is she going in and out of the box? How is she acting in between visits to the box?

7. Robin and Angelbait

She's hiding under the bed, and I called her name 5 times just now before she responded. She's been awake all day, and it could be she's tired, but I just don't know. I just wish I knew if we can wait 11.5 hours to go to the vet, they open at 7:00 and my neighbor will lend me a car. But if she's dying I need to do something right now. There needs to be some information somewhere about pathogenesis. Where are we in the timeline? I don't see why I can't find a wiki or website to give straight answers, everyone says go to the vet, wow really, why didn't I think of that. I could scream.

8. Robin and Angelbait

She peed outside the litter box today, I thought it was UTI and gave her an antibiotic. But the fat belly and awkward gait was new so I researched constipation and she fits that profile to a Tee. But no timeline, maybe I'm obsessing on the wrong thing. Maybe her general clinical signs point to a life-threatening condition. Hiding, straining, inappetance, elvated BGL, no BM in I don't know how long. Yes she's sick I know that, how sick, that's what I don't know. Could 12 hours make or break things?

9. Lunabelle

Lunabelle New Member

Are you absolutely certain she is able to void her urine? Often people mistake those same symptoms of straining, hunching, etc. for constipation, when in fact the cat has a blocked urinary tract. If so, the urine backs up into the kidneys and the cat can die quickly. It's very important to know whether this is actually the bladder or colon that is not functioning.

10. Robin and Angelbait

I'm gonna bug that neighbor right now.

11. Lunabelle

Lunabelle New Member

That's a good plan. I really think you need to get the cat in asap. It's hard to make decisions based on money, but the reality is, you will likely be able to work something out with your vet or the emergency clinic. If you don't do anything and something happens, you will feel badly. Does your regular vet take after hours calls?

12. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I don't know enough either to guess if it's bladder or colon but if at all possible please try the ER with her. Hiding under the bed is never a good sign.

Also repeating the caution about the baby enemas. Some do have substances in them that are not good for animals. I know you've already given them but please don't give any more until talking to the vet - especially not knowing whether it's bladder or colon.

13. karen and splash (ga)

karen and splash (ga) Member

All I can say is to go to a vet as soon as possible. While it may simply be constipation which in and of itself is usually not life threatening.......if it has been building for awhile and is a total blockage in the colon, he will need vet assistance to get it to pass. You don't want a perforated colon or intestine to happen either as that would require surgery and can be very life threatening.

14. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

For reference, here is that thread from a while back where Jojo addressed the fleet enemas question. If you used a fleet enema (not sure if by baby enema you meant just a little bit of soapy water, or an actual product marketed for babies?), can you let us know and we can review this other thread and see if that might be a problem. (No need for anyone to read the entire thread, just posting it so it will be easy access if the info is needed).

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=505&p=3421&hilit=enema#p3421

I'd definitely go to the ER if there is any way you can manage it. Just too many unknowns and if it is potentially fatal (she could have a blockage beyond just constipation, or any number of things going on really) you will be kicking yourself bigtime tomorrow if you don't head to the ER tonite. Even if there were a "constipation timeline" and you knew where you were in the timeline, I don't think you can count on it that there isn't something else going on that is more serious.

15. Robin and Angelbait

I was right, I've never been wrong on a diagnosis, and figured out feline diabetes via a weekend on the web, went into the ER and informed the vet that's what she had. But yeah, I took her in, dx constipation, confirmed $85. He felt her stomach, then sent me to the store for Miralax, 1 dose an hour. I'll be up all night praying for poop. If nothing by morning he said I need to take her to the vet, but I'll need to sleep, and my vet's closed all day tomorrow. So if she doesn't go by then I'll wake up and scramble for a vet and transportation. I hope this Miralax does the trick, will do a google search on it right now.

16. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

praying for poo : ) & thanking u too...for coming back online to let us know

17. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Hoping that you got at least some sleep and that she has pooped by now. I am sorry that the ER did not give her an enema before sending you out to buy Miralax although the Miralax will probably help her.

My reason, just so you know, for worrying that it could be bladder issues is that I've been there with my civvie Bo. About a year ago I rushed to the ER with him after he finally pooped because he pooped while lying down and didn't get up after. Turned out he was nearly blocked with bladder crystals. He's fine now but it was scary that night.

18. Robin and Angelbait

No sleep and no poop, I've been giving her the medicine every 2 hours. Fluids a few minutes ago. Her butt is so stinky and messy, I sat in the tub with her, and she hasn't had any sleep either. I am freaking out seeing her eat, knowing the food going in is not coming out. I left a mesg at my vet's office, but since they're off today I don't know if I should find another one and try to get in. Guess I'll make some phone calls.

19. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Just coming on and seeing this - are you adding water to the miralax? How much and how often are you giving it?

It really should produce poo - and if you're not seeing any, it makes me wonder if something else is going on that could be blocking her.

Can you call the ER and tell them what you are doing and ask what else you need to do and if you bring her in, what will they do for her.

20. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Yes, cats can die from constipation (blockage) and so can people. I hope you can get to the vet today.

21. Dale

Dale Member

I recently found this website written by an old-timer (for lack of a better word) on the CRF Support list who has a special interest in biology. It might help you and others understanding the constipation problems we sometimes see.

www.felineconstipation.org

22. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

You mentioned fluids, that's really encouraging. Are you giving subcutaneous fluids, or by mouth? EIther way, keep it up to the maximum your vet recommends.

And if after a few hours on Miralax and fluids nothing's coming out, that's a likely blockage and it's time for a trip to the ER in my opinion.

23. Robin and Angelbait

2 vets in 2 days & still no poop. Doc gave 2 enemas. Tonight fluids, Miralax and I have an enema tube. She said it might take several days. Tomorrow my own vet is open so if Angelbait needs to be hospitalized at least it will be with her primary provider. I'm exhausted, no sleep, car rental & kicking myself for missing this. I'm used to looking out for Loose Stools with this one, constipation never occurred to me, but w/3 cats & 5 litter boxes I have no idea how long it's been going on. But doc said she felt poop from colon's enter up to Angel's chest wall. I found a good website,
    http://www.felineconstipation.org/introduction.html to explain the whole deal from stem to stern.

Thanks to all for the replies. I appreciate this place very much. Will stick close.

24. Robin and Angelbait

Sorry Dale, missed that source, it was you huh? Thanks I have 20 tabs open at once here. Very good website that one.

25. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Wow, when I have had kitties in similar situations, the vets have always taken measures there at the office to clear things, or the one time I had a kitty with an intestinal blockage (hairball from hell) they did give her some catlax stuff orally and sent me home, with instructions to bring her back the next day if it didn't clear by then (which it did, thankfully).

For stuff that's already in the colon though, when enemas at the office haven't worked, they have done some sort of sedative and then some manual (ewww) helping out. I didn't ask for too many details, but I don't think they ever suggested I go home and try more enemas, etc. (I had a cat with chronic constipation and a small # of ER trips over the years.) Of course every situation is different, I'm just puzzled they aren't being more aggressive to clear it up.

Is she eating and acting ok-ish? I guess if she is not in distress (which my cat was whenever he got stopped up, lots of vomiting & straining), maybe that is the distinction between sending them back home or not?

Anyhow, hoping you will see lots of poop very soon!!! :D

26. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I work for a vet and sure hope your cat poops soon I know cat lax can raise BG's but it can help pass poop just thought to pass that along if you have some that you can give your baby never heard of vets being closed guess I am spoiled to where I work being open 7 days a week. Keep us updated please on how we are doing and I am praying for poo for her.

27. Robin and Angelbait

No she's in terrible shape. I couldnt' leave her at the ER b/c I don't have the money to pay ER prices. I couldn't leave her yesterday b/c they wouldn't sedate her b/c she ate food the night before. They both said she needs help asap but isn't life threatening right now. Poor girl, she's so sweet. Leaking pasty poop, but no mass. My vet opens in 4 hours. But her b/g levels are DOWN, way down, under 200, like 184 at + 14, prolly b/c she's isn't eating much is all I can think. This nightmare has to end.

28. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I'm really hoping for nightmare ending news today from your vet. I'm so sorry you are both going through this.

29. Robin and Angelbait

Thanks, I'm getting confused and erratic, need to really get it together. I read a bunch of websites that said a baby glycerin suppository would be ok, so I shoved one in a couple hours ago. Read more websites that said suppositories are bad for cats. God. At any rate it is having no effect far as I can see. Her bgl is going down, 154 at +14, she's usually, regularly in the upper 200s and mid 300s. So no shot for now. 1 hour to go til my vet opens.
    I'll be back w/update.

30. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Please take her to teh vet. This sounds very very serious. If she has not gone with all that you have done, I do not think a suppository is the answer. You may be causing more trouble. Can you go to your regular vet now? Please, this just doesn't sound right.

31. Robin and Angelbait

Karen, not helpful. Not one bit. Blow away.

32. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

how is she now? its been almost a couple of hours since you did this?
    please, if you're in doubt, take her in ASAP.

33. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Just wondered if you are doing oK and if you got to the vet this morning?? please update us when you can

34. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I understand that you are very worried about your kitty, but this type of attitude is not necessary. Karen was just trying to help. I hope that the vet visit was helpful and that Angelbait is getting the help she needs.

35. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Robin,
    I have a 12 year old cat who is chronically constipated and i can tell you from experience, and from living with a veterinarian for 4 years that what you are doing can only lead to nothing good. My cat gets terribly sick from not going for two days. You are taking well intentioned and GOOD advice such as Karen's and dismissing it, and reading internet articles to solve your cat's problems. Your cat may have a blockage that needs veterinary attention and if that is the case, which I hope it isn't, yes...your cat could possibly die or get very sick. There are no guarantees that you can get here. Not to mention that you could puncture his rectum by sticking suppositories and such up his behind. You have a cat that has been constipated for at lest 3 days now. There could be toxins building up. You NEED a vet, not the internet.

Please take your cat to the vet.

36. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Please let's not get too far off track. At 7:51 am Eastern Time Robin said:

I presume that meant she is taking the cat to the vet.

37. Joanna & Bix (GA)

((((Robin)))) we are all here for you & hoping things improve soon... please keep us posted how things go, I am hoping your vet will be able to work with you on a payment plan or something to make things easier. sending good thoughts your way! :YMHUG:

38. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I'm just trying to stress that this sounds unusual. I have a chronic constipation cat and this sounds much more serious. I'm sorry if you thought it was unhelpful. I realize you are stressed and it may have led you to post more insultingly than you meant to.

39. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Robin, everyone here is concerned for your kitty and trying to help and we understand that you are worried and frustrated. However, you posted to ask for help and advice. That is what everyone is doing. You have the prefect right to ignore advice/comments you find to be "unhelpful", but it is unfortunate to see a you tell someone to "blow off" when they are only trying to help.

40. Robin and Angelbait

Angelbait seems near death. She's coming out of sedation and has 12 hours to poop or they have to do surgery and I have to come up with 400 dollars and transportation in that time. They were able to get 3 inches out, and there is still 3 inches inside her. Doc said he broke it all up, it was a brick and he broke it all up, flushed her and it may come out. But if it doesn't she'll need surgery. I have the money but no transportation, no bills laying around for cab fare. Debit card. The cab can stop at an ATM for that. No insulin shot today, no food for 2 days. I don't know if I should feed her tonighht if she's having surgery tomorrow, will check that now. Hang on

41. Robin and Angelbait

I can feed her, nothing after midnight, also have to get a teaspoon of Laxatone in her asap, she's stumbling around still not recovered from sedation. She needs to wake up here so we can do C-fluids, Laxatone, food, and an antibiotic. Then insulin, have to check her BGL soon, she is not eating so no insulin unless she eats. I need to write it down.

C fluids
    Laxatone
    antibiotic
    food
    BGL
    Insulin

I set out a brand new Wonderbox w/fresh litter. I have exactly 500 dollars til the sixteenth, the vet promised me it would be 400 or less, if we need to do this, we can. It's doable.

42. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Wow. I truly was only concerned for your cat. I hope things work out. I really did not intend for my post to come off as internet troll baiting or gratuitous browbeating. I am very sorry I posted. I do have several years experience with chronic constipation and diabetes in cats and were I in your shoes I would have the cat at the vets for some serious professional treatment. I hope your cat gets better soon.

43. Robin and Angelbait

44. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I'm sending up a prayer for Anglebait to survive this ok.

45. Robin and Angelbait

I'm stupefied. Scolding? Edits and warnings? That's beyond unacceptable. I am accountable for every word I say and I stand by them.

We are at odds, and I shall leave you unmolested, with thanks for the decency, which is also in evidence.

46. Joanna & Bix (GA)

So glad to hear they got some of it out, that is good news! I know they look just awful coming out of sedation, hoping she will perk up soon. I'm glad your vet has been able to help, and that you have a game plan for what to do if she doesn't poop the rest over night. Hopefully your vet can work with you on the cost/payment plan if needed.

Maybe whatever has escalated here in the thread (I'm hoping it is at root simply a misunderstanding) can just be backburnered until the crisis has passed (speaking to everyone here)...? If needed, any issues that have to do with the rest of it can hopefully be ironed out at a later date.

Sending prayers for Angelbait to start feeling better soon! :)

47. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Any updates please ma'am??

48. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Robin,

I hope that Angel bait surprises you and she doesn't need surgery tomorrow, but if it does come to that you can let your vet know that this is all the money that you have to live on for the month. Most vets will work out payment plans. They don't want to see responsible pet owners such as yourself, who are showing that they are serious about helping their pets, go broke in the process of treatment.
    I know that you're overwhelmed, but don't be afraid to ask if you can work some thing out with the vet. He might surprise you.

Sending out good thoughts and prayers for you and Angelbait.

Caryl

49. Deb & Spot

I'm keeping Angelbait in my thoughts and prayers.

50. Robin and Angelbait

Long-suffering furbabe in recovery post-op.
    Spent 5% of my annual income on a six inch turd. Almost worth it just to construct that sentence.
    I'm out, so long.

51. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

oh yikes! Hugs to you both

52. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've watched this thread progress for days. I'm very sorry for your cat and what your cat has gone through, but seeing how you treat the folks here just makes me sad.

I've had a bad day today, I thought I lost my boy this morning, he was limp in my arms.

The support from the folks on this board is one of the only things that made it possible for me to keep my head up today and be hopeful for the future with Tucker.

I saw you over the past few days getting the same fantastic support. But in return, well I don't need to say how you were in return.

I wish I had said something to Karen about how fantastic she is, but I kept quiet. And the rest, everyone, Sheila, Joanna, Caryl, Venita, Deb, Lisa, Ronnie, Susie... my gosh the list just goes on and on... all those who posted to you are amazing and I hope they all know that.

53. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear she needed surgery, but it's good that they could get the poop out.

May I suggest that when you go to pick her up - you ask the vet what you can do to prevent this from happening again. Of course there may not be anything you can do, but good to ask.

Oh and now that this is no longer an emergency - would you please remove the 911 icon from your original post. Thanks!

54. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I hope she continues to recover, and to do so quickly.

55. Joanna & Bix (GA)

great news that she is recovering! hope you can both relax now & catch up on some good sleep & stuff, I am sure you will both need a few days to really feel like yourselves again.... thanks for keeping us posted on her progess, some (all? lol) of us are worriers!!! :)

((((tuckersmom)))) thanks for the kind words :) hope your boy is ok now, sounds very scary :(

56. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I'm glad she is okay Robin. I hope the vet gave you instructions on how to keep her regular in the future. Good luck to both of you. Hope to hear from you on how Angelbait is doing.

Caryl

57. Deb & Spot

So glad that Angelbait is recovering and hopefully the poo issue has been taken care of. Spot had problems w/constipation and we started using Miralax...1/4 tsp. twice daily. It works well and he hasn't had a problem since we began.

58. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hope she recovers well for you and big hug your way :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :RAHCAT

59. ceil99

ceil99 Member

How is your baby doing today?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.