Can someone clarify

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Yong & Maury GA, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, Maury and I are still new members and we're doing his second curve today. I was wondering if someone could look at his SS today. I don't understand how we had a good day yesterday and not a terrible start off today but then I just got this high reading?? Should I wait the full 2 hours before next testing?

2. Pati

Pati Member

Wonky test strip? Food? You can wait the two hours because you wouldn't do anything about that number right now anyway. When you test in 2 hours you'll find out if it might have been a wonky strip. If he is starting a bounce the next tests will show that pattern as well.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Pati. Maybe wonky strip - any time you get a number that doesn't make sense, try another test. The curve was looking good. I'd continue and then look at it as a whole.

4. Yong & Maury GA

I did another test right away with another strip and still got 620+ number :( Hope it goes back down at +8. He only ate a couple pieces of crunchies shortly around the +4.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Some cats are super carb sensitive. There are low carb treats - PureBites and Bonito flakes are popular at my house.

If it was the high carb treat, he might come back down before the end of the cycle.

Kris & Teasel and Pati like this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Just did the +8

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great! What's the number?

8. Yong & Maury GA

Oh I put it on his SS but it was 546

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... either very reactive to the carbs in the treats or bouncing. I vote for the carbs in the treats. This is good to know going forward because you have a tool for BG that goes too low at some point.

10. Yong & Maury GA

I was thinking bouncing because I do the same method every time I test. He has the same DM dry out for grazing and got his Friskies for breakfast. Guess I should've stated that at the start :banghead:. So same food and same treat given after a test.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

OK. Then bouncing. Did you do a repeat test immediately after to see if it was just a wonky number? Another thought: have you considered eliminating all dry food and trying an automatic pet feeder to give small snacks of Friskies through the cycle? Maybe the dry is causing inconsistent responses.

12. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

My Payne was Dx in 2010 and I had a mentor from here who was one of the "old timers" :) She would yell at me and I would feel so bad,
    but she was always right . . . and she would say, the dry food is crack to cats, esp. diabetic ones. Cats don't need to graze, they need to eat
    the right kinds of foods, wet food with as much water as possible. At the time when I started I had 10 cats, who I believed NEEDED to eat all
    the time and I resisted and Payne kept getting into the dry food. They adjust but right now you need to get the numbers down and that
    means you can never feed dry food again, it is what it is.

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Kicking the dry certainly might help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.