Can someone experienced with Lantus look at Zoe's SS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sybil and Zoe, May 7, 2019.

1. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I know it has not been the 5-7 days it may take for the depot to form and start affecting her but I am a little anxious because I see nothing happening. Its very frustrating. She started last Thursday night 5/2/19 . I am still trying to learn about Lantus but I'm afraid it like the Vetsulin will not work. I hate to keep wasting strips testing multiple times if its going to stay the same. It seems like about the +3 spot is where the max reduction occurs.:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

She's been on the "loading dose" long enough.....I'd go ahead and increase her to 2.5U

I really think you probably started way too low since she was already up to 6U of Vetsulin.

There's no need to test as much as you are....every hour isn't really necessary unless they're low. If you can get a +2 or +3 and another test around +5 to +7, that's probably enough unless you see something drastic.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I think you started on too low a dose of Lantus. Normally we take the dose of the existing insulin into mind. You could increase to 2.5 units of Lantus now. The depot should be build and all you are seeing is pink or worse. Please take a look at the Sticky Notes, especially the one on dosing methods. You will have to see which one you want to follow. They will also help guide you in how much you should test.

Here is the link to your previous post for continuity http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-lantus.214037/

4. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

Thanks. I will step up to the 2.5 unit and I really would like to go with Tight Regulation. I keep testing to collect the data the TR indicates you need. The trouble is I can not check after 5-6 hours at night since I have to get some rest. LOL It is getting redundant though. Sorry that my posting style is not headed correctly for the Lantus group. After I hit post I was looking back and saw directions to post Name and AMPS etc. I find it a little confusing to read all that but I guess like all the rest of things with the diabetes, I will acclimate. I appreciate all your advice!

5. Chris & China (GA)

If you can get a +2, that can tell you a lot about what might be going on later in the cycle.

If the +2 is about the same as the PS, it's usually a pretty normal cycle....gradually down to nadir and then gradually back up again

If the +2 is higher than the PS, it's usually the signal that a bounce is starting and you can take a pokey break.

If the +2 is lower than the PS (by more than meter variance) it means you need to get more testing in later in the cycle because that's your "early warning" that they may be going a lot lower.

6. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I gave the 2.5 units this morning. It looks like a bounce is happening. :( I have to run on to work now, so hopefully she will be ok.:nailbiting:

7. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

I am also a newbie and found this info very helpful. Can you please tell me what the meter variance is? Thanks. China is beautiful. And hope adorable Sybil is OK.

8. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

Haha thanks for the compliment! Just kidding...Zoe is my kitty in the picture. I am her person, Sybil. When I joined I didnt put her name in the signature and its my understanding once it is set you cannot change it.

I think meter varience is just referencing the difference you may get within a few points of a BG, if you check it again immediately, kinda like blood pressures can be taken and one reading may differ from the very next one you take but should not be that much different.

Zoe is set on making me stress over her! This pms her BG was higher than the morning even with the increased dose. I am trying to ride it out but I feel sure the meter reading is not as high as the actual BG if checked at lab, since she had been running in mid 300s and her fructosamine was 516 a few weeks ago. I hope this is a bounce and will pass quickly.:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: She seems her normal self.

9. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Notice the two sections emphasized in Chris's comments.
    To clarify, from the The Basics: New to the Group? Start here! sticky:

"+2 - Often similar to the PreShot number. Onset begins around +2 for most cats. You'll probably see an active cycle if the +2 is the same/similar OR lower than the preshot number. Continue testing!"

The "early warning" Chris mentions applies to both instances:
    • when the +2 is the same/similar to the preshot number, AND
    • when the +2 is lower than the preshot number
    In either case, the cycle may drop lower, even to the point of requiring intervention... so be aware, remain alert, and continue testing.

10. Chris & China (GA)

You should be able to change it....although you can only change it so often (I think it's 30 days but I don't really know since I've only changed mine once in 6 years)

Go to Personal Details and at the bottom of the left hand column is the option to "Change Username"

11. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

It worked! Thanks so much.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  12. Chris & China (GA)

ALL meters are allowed a 20% variance by the FDA....so if you get a 150 on your meter, a professional lab test result could be + or - 20% (or 120 to 180)

But anytime you get a +2 that's lower than the PS, it's really vital that you get more tests in later in the cycle!!

13. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

You're not kidding! My girl went hypo tonight and I would not have known if I hadn't followed your advice! I just gave her gravy food and her numbers came up a bit, but I'm staying up with her now to test/feed and keep her safe. Thank you!!

14. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Hope Zoe is doing better. I did the same thing when I signed up -- I just put my name, not Phoebe Squeak's and I can't change it for 89 days. I am currently pulling an all-nighter with my girl because she went hypo at 1:30am my time. I only stayed up to test her because I read the earlier posts in this thread that warned about what could happen when you get a +2 that's a lot lower than the PS number. Thank goodness for this site and all the great people who share what they've learned!

15. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I love Phoebe Squeak's photo. That is so cute. I see that she came back up sufficiently that you must have gone to sleep after +8. It is good that you checked her BG after reading the post. How did she act when her BG was low?

As for Zoe, her mini bounce left and I saw yellow and it made me so happy. I continued to check through +6 because at that point she started back up. I was anxious to capture how low she would go and yes her +2 was lower than her PS.(Thanks Chris) I wont be able to check today if +2 is lower unless it is much lower and then I will try and run back home from work to do a quick check. I plan to hold her at 2.5 units until Saturday and maybe then push to 3 units under TR guidelines.

16. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thank you! I'm glad you like P.S.'s photo. Yes, I did finally get to sleep after +8. Phew! And because the T.R. protocol says you must lower the dose right away if you ever get a number below 40 on a human meter (she went down to 36 last night) I lowered her dose to 1 U this morning so her BG numbers are up again. She actually was acting just fine when her numbers were low. She was delighted with the high carb gravy I gave her, but seemed confused about why I was staying up with her. It was like a girlfriend's slumber party in the living room complete with high carb snacks!
    So glad you saw yellow!! And I see that your +1 and +2 numbers are up so you don't have to run home from work. Hoping the best for Zoe.