Can someone help me figure out if I should dose Jack tonight?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA), Mar 15, 2019.

1. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't know if I should dose Jack tonight. His numbers have been low, and although he has not been in hypo range, he trembles and walks shaky when they get as low as they have been. And then he bounces. I didn't shoot him last night or the night before because he was too low. This morning, I lowered his dose to .5U. And now, at PMPS, he's only 184. Should I give him a little - maybe .25U? Or should I just skip this dose? I'm afraid he'll go low during the night. For now, I'm going to wait an hour and test again at +13. But if it's not above 200, I'm not sure what I should do.
    Thanks!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I see you gave 0.5 u this morning. His PMPS is probably high enough for you to try 0.5 u again tonight but make sure to get a +2 test this evening to see where he's heading. I see on your spreadsheet that the doses you give AM and PM are often different. This can lead to extra volatility in BG numbers so we recommend against doing that unless a PS is low enough to warrant a reduction. That means you select a reasonable dose (based on the recent BG readings) and give that same dose AM and PM. Don't change the dose in response to a PS number. It's the low numbers near the middle of the cycle that are used to assess the dose.

3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I just tested him again (45 minutes later) and he's at 190. So, I'll give him .5U, and test him at +2. I don't know why I'm so afraid to dose him when his number is below 200. Thanks for responding. I'm going to go feed him now, and he'll be oh so happy about that!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

I was like that in the beginning too. Once I started shooting lower and lower I got more confident. :)

5. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

We all were. This whole process is a scary learning curve but I promise the anxiety, panic, getting blood... all of it will get Easier. Try to be patient with Nate and yourself. You will start to figure out what works for your situation and sanity

6. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Oliver's numbers are looking great! I do believe that I'll relax as I learn what works for Jack, and I'm looking forward to that!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I'm so surprised how easy it is now to get blood. I know that the rest will come, and I need to just relax already!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. Kathy G

Kathy G Member

The hardest part for me was waiting and holding your dose. I wanted to increase just a few weeks ago and I'm glad I listened to the advice here and waited. Giving consistant doses and those ever so important mid cycle numbers are the key.

9. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I know! I have only been at this for a few weeks, and I have changed his dose too many times. I've learned my lesson though.

Kathy G likes this.