Can someone please define "Honeymoon"?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Carl & Polly & Bob (GA), Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there a set number of days? What constitutes "honeymoon" and what is the difference between that and "OTJ"?

Thanks,
    Carl and Bob in SC

2. Jezebel

Jezebel Member

LOL....Honeymooners can post here after they go OTJ!
    Debie & Jezebel
    otj_icon

3. Oh, okay....
    I had it explained to me (elsewhere) that the "honeymoon" was the time period between being on the juice and 2 weeks later...
    I'll hopefully see you soon :oops:

carl

4. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

What you described above is called the "OTJ Trial." The two week period without insulin to see if the kitty's BG stays in the normal range. If successful, the kitty is called OTJ; on Honeymoon; at the Falls; in remission; or more accurately, a diet controlled diabetic.

The way I use the term "Honeymoon" is for kitties who no longer need insulin. It is the same definition as OTJ or diet controlled.

In my understanding all the time I've been on the board is that 'once a diabetic, always a diabetic.' The difference being whether the cat needs insulin shots or is controlled by diet alone.

So the Honeymoon means the blissful time without shots - however long that will last, many years or only a few months.

Sometimes kitties do return from Honeymoon and have to resume their insulin. Some are lucky and use insulin only for a short time and can have a second or third Honeymoon time.

'Going to the falls' is a reference to the traditional honeymoon destination of Niagara Falls. (Or to the worlds most beautiful falls, Iguazu Falls... Only the best for our kitties!) It is our silly way of saying going on Honeymoon, going OTJ, going into remission, or being diet controlled. Many phrases all meaning the same thing.

No one knows how long a remission will last so we like to think of it as a beautiful Honeymoon.

I hope your kitty's Honeymoon will last forever! :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.