? Can SubQ fluids cause drops in BG?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SpotsMom, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Ayyy! So I just got home from work and Spot's BG is 39 (now 61 15 minutes later)!! He does not have any symptoms of hypo and he is eating his high carb food, but he had not eaten all day except for the 2T of Young Again Zero Mature that I force fed him this morning at shot time. I did give him 100ml of subQ fluids this morning since he seemed a little dehydrated and wasn't eating, but I normally only give fluids when he appears to need them or is not eating on his own.

My question is this: has anyone else experienced reduced BG due to subQ fluids? It seems on the days I do give him fluids his numbers are good, and they jump back up on the days he doesn't get it. Even to the point where I just increased his dose a few days ago since I hadn't seen a green in a few days... and I was thinking about increasing again because the last increase didn't bring him low enough (obviously I won't be increasing now!). Is this an indication that I should give fluids every day even if he doesn't "appear" to need them? Is there any harm in giving fluids too often?

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I did the first few times I gave fluids but not after that. I just looked at your labs. I assume. The fluids were given because of pancreatitis because the kidney numbers don’t show a need. Are you giving cerenia or ondansetron for nausea? If not eating enough fluids probably are needed. I’d syringe watered down wet food and see if Spot will eat baby food.

3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Thanks! We are still new at this so hopefully the dramatic effect will calm down once he gets used to being properly hydrated. Do you give fluids daily no matter what? My vet told me just to do it if he needed it, but I’m starting to think he “needs” it every day...

4. tiffmaxee

Max did not get fluids very often for his chronic pancreatitis. I had to start them for kidney failure.

5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Ahh ok. That’s helpful. So everyday might not be needed for pancreatitis... I guess we’ll just see how it goes haha. I like to have exact answers but it seems like so much of this journey is trial and error and educated guessing o_O

6. tiffmaxee

Unfortunately true, especially with pancreatitis. The only constant when Max had an episode was inappetence.

7. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

We give Phoebe every other day, as long as other fluids have absorbed. She is getting fluids for pancreatitis. If she acts ok I don't give them that often but there are times she needs them moRe than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.