Can you make sense of Shadow's numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shadowboy, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowboy

Shadowboy Member

Hi-
    I've been tring to get more blood sugar readings on Shadow, but his numbers don't make sense to me =(

I'm thinking on 12/29 he may have dropped low enough for a decrease, but I didn't catch it....

Why are there days when he doesn't drop after getting his insulin? I don't like the high 200's and 300's but becuase he has had some numbers in the low 100s I'm nervous to increase his dose.

Looking at his spreadsheet, do you see anything that I may be missing?
    Thanks

2. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I can't really help you because I am not familiar with the insulin you are using. Sorry. I can tell you from experience that it takes a while before the numbers and the dose begin to "talk" to you about what they mean. hang in there. There are certain to be more knowledgeable eyes to come along soon who can actually help you with figuring out what to do next.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You might want to post over on the Lantus forum to get the most experienced eyes to help you

Just a suggestion on your spreadsheet...might want to consider starting a new one with just the tests since you started back in November....or even just the past couple of weeks

It looks like Shadow may just be bouncing a lot though....On 12/30, he dropped from 244 to 159 in just 2 hours....then dropped to 106 by +4 .....when they drop quickly like that, that's enough to set off a bounce. I would have tried to get at least 1 more test in that night to make sure he didn't continue to drop

It also looks like he may have dropped lower last night too (that 148 AMPS could have been a climbing number from an un-seen low overnight) which set off another bounce today (since his numbers are going up most of today)

Bounces happen when they 1. drop too low 2. drop quickly or 3. just drop down into numbers their body isn't used to being at anymore (or any combination of the 3)

The liver releases stored sugar and hormones to get them back up quickly ...so they "bounce". It can take up to 3 days (6 cycles) to clear a bounce

4. Shadowboy

Shadowboy Member

Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Chris- I was thinking he was dropping to quickly- he seems to do that a lot. If you're seeing those quick drops does that mean we should drop the dose? I'll post over on the lantus board too.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.