Can you push air into a lantus cartridge before drawing back

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Delma and Frank, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

Tomorrow I will be switching Frank from Vetsulin to Lantus.

Tonight I picked up the U-100 syringes at the pharmacy...$30 for 100 syringes and more expensive than the vetsulin syringes that cost $18 for 100. I will need to look for a cheaper place to get the new syringes.

The U-100 syringe's plunger is pulled back to 2 units as are the U-40 syringes. Why do they do this anyway? I have always pushed this excess air into the vetsulin vial before drawing back. I have the Lantus pens and am wondering if I should do the same....insert the needle, push the air out of the syringe, then draw back to the necessary dosage.

2. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

No, don't shoot air back in. It will shorten the life of the insulin. If you are in the US you can get syringes from Hocks.com. I get 100 for under $20.

3. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

I just read that I should NOT inject air into a cartridge. I had read this article before. I have been reading so much about Lantus, etc. All the info is overwhelming. Ok at least I know not to inject air into the cartridge.

4. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

I needed a prescription written by the vet for these syringes. How do I purchase prescription syringes online at Hocks.com?

5. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Even though I needed to show the script to my local pharmacy. ... I didn't need a prescription at Hocks. Cool, huh?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lantus comes in vials and cartridges. The cartridges are pressurized. If you shoot air back in you run the risk of the cartridge exploding. So, it's a really bad idea to shoot air back in.

Please see if you can get syringes that are in 0.5 (half) unit increments. The dosing protocol that we use involves changes in 0.25 to 0.50 changes so it's much easier to have a syringe that is in half units. The plunger on my syringes are not pulled back. It may be the manufacturer whose syringe you're using. I get mine through Hocks and I buy the GNP brand. I think they are around $15 for 100. The Walmart brand (Relion) is also inexpensive and comes in half units.

7. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi
    These are the syringes you can buy from Hocks. No prescription required.
    Walmart also sells Relion syringes which were even cheaper. I managed to get them at a walmart that did not require
    a prescription.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck with the Lantus and don't forget to join the group.

Code Name Quantity Price/Ea. Total
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A740030 Monoject Ultrafine U-100 Insulin Syr 31 Gauge 3/10cc 5/16 inch Needle ( 1/2 Unit Markings) 2 $17.49 $34.98
    Shipping: Fedex Home Delivery: $3.92
    Sales Tax: $0.00

8. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

.....I'm going to have to eat the $30 these syringes cost. First, the needle is so short. I was given 5/16 length needle. There is hardly a needle compared to a U40! Second, there are no 1/2 unit increments. Why was I given these syringes?!

9. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I use the Reli-On syringes from Walmart (as well as the Reli-on meter and strips...ya gotta love Wally World!) :smile:

Another thing that you need to know is to NOT roll the insulin...Lantus does not need to be mixed. That was my hardest habit to break after 9 years of shooting Humulin N. :?

10. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

I know, I am afraid I will by habit do something I had done with Vetsulin!! Habits are hard to break. I have been only using vetsulin 1 1/2 yrs . Your 9 year habit must have been a tough one.

11. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

Do these have the longer needle? Or perhaps come in both lengths and I must request....?

12. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Yes, they come in 1/2" and 5/16", the short ones. I accidentally bought the short ones and I'm using them but I prefer the long ones too. Before you pay for them, ask to open the box and look at them to be sure they have the 1/2 unit markings. I don't know if they have ones that DON'T have the 1/2 unit but with Lantus you really need that. I am shooting .25u right now and could never do that if I didn't have the .50u marking.

13. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I have the Walmart shorter needle ones too, mine are slightly pushed back too. I did not shoot that back into the pen today thankfully, I remembered reading that...which is about the ONLY thing I did right so far :shock:

14. Delma and Frank

Delma and Frank Member

Take care, I'm glad you caught the error. Your heart must have stopped when you realized!

15. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

for what its worth, i use the short needles and have read that they are more comfortable for the cat.
    Others can weigh in on that. I have used both long and short and I've noticed she barely notices the shot with the short needles.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.