Canada Blood testing!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by alexanne, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexanne

alexanne Member

Re Peachy - As previously posted Peachy is doing well on Caninsulin at the moment. I am embarrassed to say that I am having difficulty doing home testing - the first time I did it in front of the vet - due to cancer operations and chemo in 2005 I have what is called an "Essential tremour". My hand shakes when I am nervous - I was shaking a lot in front of the vet - I was sure it would be OK at home without him being present. However when I tried it at home I was shaking quite a lot when doing it on Peachy. I experimented inserting the needle on a toy teddy bear and my hand was as steady as a rock - no problem.

Despite my shaking I did manage to get the blood from Peachy but unfortunately by the time I got it the monitor had timed out - one touch - and I had to start again. I also found by reading the instructions that I wasn't collecting the blood properly - I had wiped the strip on the blood that is the front of the strip where the channel is. This of course didn't register - I found by reading that I should get a globule of blood and touch the strip so that the globule runs into the "channel". I am determined to overcome the psychological problem somehow.

I only tried it one time since I couldn't keep poking her in several places till it worked - I was afraid of infection from too many openings. I had the alcohol swab ready before and after and I also had some polysporin after also to sooth the ear.
    I won't try again till I see the ears are perfectly clear - I will be speaking to the vet about this also - he knows about the "tremour". He did say that I would only need to do it once/twice a week since Peachy's diabetes is fairly mild. Of course I'll be looking for symptoms which might indicate a problem and contact the vet immediately.

I wonder if anybody has this same problem. In home testing every day, how does this affect the kitty's ears - of course you can use different spots and different ears. Does anybody else have this kind of problem?

I'd like to hear from anyone regarding their difficulty in testing for blood. I have heard from a few people in the first instance that they use a sock to put behind the ear warmed in the micro wave and a flashlight also to see the vein. This is another problem seeing the vein - I don't have any problem seeing in general but Peachy has very light coloured ears - Peachy in fact - that's where she got her name.

Anybody any suggestions on this type of problem.

Hope to hear from you on the concern about ear infection and too much prodding - which of course I wouldn't do. In this case, if at first you don't succeed, stop! My problem is psychological since my hand is steady for everything else except when I have the scalpel to prod a little kitty - I know it doesn't hurt her - she is absolutely patient with my poking thus far - but somehow my hand just takes over from my brain when I do it!!!! ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

To learn the timing on the meter, you can try testing yourself. That may also help with the nerves as you get more practice without "hurting" your kitty.

A trick that we do is only insert the test strip PARTWAY into the meter - it does not turn on.

When you get a nice drop of blood on the ear - THEN you push the test strip into the meter to turn it on and sip up the blood. OR -- you can transfer the blood drop to your fingernail or something if your kitty wants to leave. Then turn on the meter and sip up the blood from your fingernail (or similar non-absorbent material)

Edited to add: We also wear a headlamp flashlight to see the blood drop more easily. (the kind from camping stores)

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi there :)

I would bet that with a bit of practice, your shaking will become a thing of the past.

A couple of observations
    1. testing should not be minimal just because her 'diabetes is mild'....one overdose is too many...
    2. her ears will be fine with a few tests a day! We put a lot of pressure on ourselves and overproject our fears sometimes (I was guilty :) ) so don't be afraid, just put some pressure on with your fingers after testing.

Does this help?

Jen

4. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks folks: Good idea of putting strip partially in - also good getting blood onto nail. Yes, definitely overprojecting - I'll practice on myself - never thought of that - teddy didn't mind of course, but he didn't give me any blood either.

:dizcat

5. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

You could also try a lancet device if you haven't.. you load the thing.. push it on the ear (takes some time to get used to how to line it up).. press a button and it fires.. way less precision involved.

I use one..and I think people who freehand are INSANE :).

6. cashewsmomma

cashewsmomma Member

Hey Dawn!

I used to be very nervous and shaky when I started testing Cashew- he was fine at first but sensing my nerves he would lose it as well...all in all it would take us 30-45 min to get a reading. My vet suggested giving him a treat to nibble on while I test and this worked like a charm.

He starts meowing as soon as he sees me pull open his mat and get the utensils ready. I have this tiny dish that I give treats of sardines, tuna or a smear of wet food on. I keep the strip half in way in the meter, his pricking needle ready and let him follow me to the mat. As I put the dish down, I make sure I am directly behind/over him, immediately push in the strip and grab hold one of his ears. Sometimes this will start flicking (he has had one bruise so far) so just be patient. I put my finger behind his ear (some people prefer cotton swabs or rice socks) and prick. By this time he is done his food and is licking away the dish which gives me the extra time to get the blood on the strip. Remember never to let go of the ear!

It's been over 5 weeks and gotten so much easier! I know I shouldn't treat him with food when getting his gb but that is THE only way we can get him give me blood.

Keep up the good work!

Nida

7. Mal and Tubby (GA)

Mal and Tubby (GA) Member

Are there any monitors that dont time out?
    in other words when you turn on the monitor it stays on until you turn it off. :idea:

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am not aware of any meter that do not time out.. This is probably because other wise the batteries would not last long since people would forget to turn them off. Thee is one advantage with the AlphaTrac animal meter. That is you push one of the buttons to turn it on. It does not on automatically turn on when you insert a strip. I use a foam block with all my human meters. I cut a slot in it so the meter stands up. That way it is easy to fully insert the strip and turn on the meter using only one hand. The foam block also has holes for the lancet pen, Vaseline, strips and cosmetic pad for backing up site and wiping up blood.

9. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks again folks: I get something new every time - The foam block sounds a good idea - everything in the one place - you said vaseline!! I have a bottle of alcohol but I prefer using fucidin - I have to get a prescription for that for human doctor - it's something like polysporin, but a bit more.

Inserting part way in the monitor sounds good too. and I like the idea of getting the blood and transferring to another surface - maybe a palette knife and scooping from there = that way you can fully attend to the kitty pressing on the prick and then getting the reading.

My problem was that I was holding the lancet side ways and I think I should be holding it straight up and down and then just prick straight in - I was kind of trying to slide in across the vein. I'm not explaining that too well, but a straight down prick would possibly be better.

There is a contraption for humans which comes with the one touch - my vet found it a big hassle to use - you have a pen type container and you unscrew that and then attach another plastic thing with the needle inside and then put the top back on and then press the little switch. My vet finally gave up the first time I took the one touch in and just produced the bare lancet. But from what I can tell if I just did a downward prick that would work just the same as the lancet holder. I have only tried this one time on my own so I have to just get used to it. I'll absorb these methods in my mind and try again. I think I'll do better the next time. Peachy doesn't fuss at all so I have no problem with that.

Thanks again folks - I'll keep reading.

:dizcat

10. alexanne

alexanne Member

Just posted this as new topic so that people might see it. See new topic -"Blood testing lancet"

Well that was fun - just tested the lancet device on myself - setting 3 - OUCH a bit. This was recommended by Dawn and Nova on the topic "Canada Blood testing". I can see how that would be much better and certainly with a shaky hand the device once placed in the correct spot - "lined up" as Dawn and Nova states, it would be a breeze. It has caused a bit of a bruise there as it comes out quite fast. I'd probably use setting 2 or even 1 for Peachy. I'll give it a go - as I said at setting 3 it did jump a bit as it stings. Can't see that it would be any worse than poking free hand though. Thanks for the tip Dawn and Nova.

I use a One Touch Ultra 2 - I expect this is the one you use? :dizcat

11. Jen & Squeak

I poke on a very deep setting, that way I know for sure I"m going to get blood! For the bruising, pinch the ear between your fingers when you are done.

12. Dawn & Nova

Also be aware.. we have a LOT more nerve endings in our fingers than a cat does in their ear.. cats ears are really tough.. when they wrestle or fight they bite each others ears like crazy (at least in my house)..

Like Jen said.. pinch the ear between your fingers and hold it for a couple seconds.. polysporin after.. the ears do toughen up some too.. Nova's ears used to look like she had a freaky disease..and now I test her 10 times a day and you can't even tell.

I use the AccuChek Aviva.. and the lancet device it comes with..not sure if they are all the same or not.. with mine the lancets come in little barrels of 6.. so you don't have to load the individual ones.. I'm lazy that way :).

13. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks again - I have looked in my other posting on this subject and the reply there was also helpful. I was surprised that you said a "Very deep setting". I'd have thought the setting would have been the lowest - the ear looks very thin to me. and as I said my finger is quite bruised. But as you say the cat's ears are different than a human finger. the vaseline around the area is good too. I'll get it all together.

Thanks again.

14. Dawn & Nova

Surprised to hear you bruised badly.. wonder if mine just uses smaller lancets or something.. I've never bruised from it.. and on myself I need to use the 4.5 (out of 5) setting..

Start low and increase until you get a bleeder.. just don't get freaked out if you have to go quite high... it depends on the cat and where on the ear you're poking too.. it really is trial and error.. he will heal..and so will you :).

15. alexanne

alexanne Member

Maybe I just bruise easily - I do in fact. So maybe that's just me - the One Touch has from 1 to 9 settings - as I said I used 3 on myself and drew the dot of blood which would be OK for a human. And as I said I think the settings are for the depth the needle goes in - I think whatever setting it is the same force would apply. I'll have to experiment.

Keep you all posted. :dizcat

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The settings only adjusts how deep the needle goes beyond the end of the cap. What really makes a difference is how firm you back up the ear. The less firmly it is backed up the harder it is to get blood. A human digit backs up itself very good and that is why a low setting frequently works. I find that the setting is very cat dependent. I use the one touch pen for most of mine. For mitten I use the shallowest setting and still get way too much blood. For some other I need the deepest setting and still have difficulty getting enough blood. I also find that the cat's ears "learn" to bleed and that the setting can usually be lowered with time.

17. alexanne

alexanne Member

Thanks again Larry - I posted on the other topic on this subject and you've answered my question on that one - however, I am copying that posting to this site also.

Re: Bloodtesting lancet

Postby alexanne ยป Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:18 am
    Thanks Larry - The One Touch Ultra 2 for some reason does not include this plastic cap - I have looked carefully in the packet and looked at the contents of the package on the label and it does not include the clear cap - in fact in the handbook it shows a picture of that, the control solution and says both are obtainable separately. Also looked at the web site and against the Ultra 2 it says this cap can be obtained by calling their 1-800 number. There is another model The Smart One Touch which does include this cap. I can't think why they would have it separately for any of their meters that have the lancing device - It doesn't make sense, but there it is - I have to call them to get it. So I'll do that today. I e-mailed them and told them I didn't think it made sense not to have it included with the One Touch Ultra 2 - I'll wait to hear back by e-mail, but I'll call them also.

I'll keep you up-dated.
    I assume you use this device - which size needles do you use and what is the depth you use?

The question is for anyone who uses this device.

Thanks again. I really appreciate this site and all the help.

18. alexanne

alexanne Member

As mentioned above the One Touch which goes from 1 to 9 depth, doesn't come with the clear cap as mentioned by Larry. I looked in the e manual and saw that you had to call them at 1-800 number to get the clear cap. I did this and unfortunately for me I was honest and said it was for a cat - they said they couldn't send me the clear cap as the monitor was not approved for cats. I thought that was ridiculous as the clear cap wasn't anything which would cause harm like a needle or something like that. I called my pharmacist and told her about it - she said no problem she has the clear cap and will send it to me.

I'll finally get it all together. I intend taking it back to the vet and showing him how to use the lancet device - he had a bother putting it together and just gave me the free hand lancets. I'll be able to find out from him and experiment to see about depth with him on hand.

19. Jen & Squeak

Honestly? I have never really seen the need for a clear cap so wouldn't stress it...I don't think it needs to be that precise.

20. alexanne

alexanne Member

Must admit I hadn't thought about the clear cap till Larry mentioned it - and it made sense to me as you'd be able to see precisely where the needle was going as opposed to being blind around the place for about 1/4 inch. You could put it directly on the vein. Someone said it was easy to use once you got it aligned, which prbably meant that they weren't using a clear cap.

As I mentioned I called my pharmacist and she is going to send me the clear cap.

I know you could do it with the ordinary cap. But now I come to think of it it's none of their business whether it is a cat or human. The cap is part of the product they sell and in my opinion should not have to be obtained separately. I am too honest - as I don't have diabetes when they were talking about it and said I'd have to register my appliance I immediately said it was for a cat to save them going into details about my diabetes. I don't know how one qualifies human diabetes, type 1 or 2 or something like that and couldn't answer questions to make up my type fake type of diabetes to save all the hassle.

:dizcat Maybe I'll make a fuss about it on principle as I got the appliance and should be able to have the clear cap.

Whatdyathink????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.