? CANADIAN CANNED FOOD RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherri, Sep 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherri

Sherri Member

My Shamus isn't taking a liking to the Friskies Pates...yet, but I'm here to have any Canadians suggest low carb, high protein canned food that they are successful with in CANADA (Ontario). Also, does anyone use the President's Choice canned food? If I read the chart right on binkyspage they were low carb, high protein but no fiber?

So suggestions are welcome here......and gooooooooo...:)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I replied to your other thread, but you can get a lot of the same foods as you can in the US. I've occasionally fed Wellness (the grain free cans are low carb flavours), Tiki Cat and Weruva. I've also seen Ziwipeak, Merrick, Nature's Variety, Addiction, California Natural, Go!, Innova in pet food stores, just to name a few brands. I put the food list on my iPad and phone, and just look for options under 10% carbs when I'm shopping. The list on the catinfo web site is more current than binky's page.

I mostly feed raw food, but they do get some canned. Since w/d has pork in it, maybe that's what he likes. Try find another one with it in.

Sherri likes this.
  3. Asrael

Asrael Well-Known Member

Weruva, Tiki Cat, Wellness, Go, Primal Dehydrated Raw (not canned but you add water to it- and make it like canned), EVO (at some stores). I find Trouble likes the Weruva the best- and the food does look like a human could eat it (I am vegetarian so for me to think that- its pretty good). Alot does have fish- but some don't and we do feed him fish just not at every meal... He likes the Go alot too- but again mostly the fish flavors- and he also likes the Primal Raw.

Good Luck!

Sherri likes this.
  4. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Sherri and welcome. I'm around your neck of the woods (I'm in London). I actually feed Fancy Feast low carb varieties - mostly the Turkey & Giblets classic pate because it's the lowest phosphorous - Genghis doesn't have urinary or kidney issues but I guess I'd like to avoid the high phosphorous if I can. I do also feed the Chicken Feast and Tender Liver and Chicken Feast, as well as some of the fish varieties on occasion. I always water down her food with a few tablespoons of hot water - she prefers the warmer temperature and licks the plate clean. When I would just smush it up, she used to leave a lot behind.

I did try the Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken but Genghis doesn't like it (I think it smells WAY better than the FF, but what do I know?) If you find it a good food for Shamus, be sure to buy it in the dog section in the big 13 oz cans. Much more economical and it's identical to the cat one in the smaller cans. I actually feed my crunch-junkie Picasso the Instinct dry variety because it's 17% carbs - about the lowest I'm able to find available in my area - until I can get him converted.

Interesting about the PC food - the Nutrition First line looks to be the lowest carb - I ran the guaranteed analysis of the chicken, tuna, sardines, kelp variety through a carb calculator and got this:

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 8.03.47 PM.png

My only hesitation on this food as a daily feed is the tuna and sardines - like Asreal, I don't feed fish regularly and I'm not sure where they are sourced so mercury intake may be an issue. I would have no issue feeding it on an occasional basis for sure.

I also ran the "regular" Extra Meaty line both chicken and turkey & giblets through the calculator and got a good low number on wet matter, but a little high on a dry matter basis at 13%. The chicken and liver one comes in at 9% DMB.

If Shamus likes pork, Hound & Gatos makes a pork food for cats that seems to come in pretty low in carbs but they don't post the ash content so I can't be 100% sure, and it's also pretty high in fat and calories. I can usually find it in Global Pet Foods.

I'm like Wendy - I have the catinfo.org chart on my phone so I can remind myself when I'm in the store and might see something on sale I can try. The Weruva foods are so lovely and smell divine - they are excellent quality but Genghis won't eat them :(. I've considered mixing a mid-carb smelly food with Almo or Tiki Cat 0% carb varieties - anyone else ever done this?

Good luck with Shamus and your food adventure!

Sherri likes this.
  5. Sherri

Sherri Member

Thank you everyone! I am new to all of this so I'm not familiar with how to calculate the carbs and/or carb calculators and what the results mean or should be when you use one. I just know low carb high protein. I'm also hearing about fish. Is it more favourable NOT to have fish in the diet? Is this due to mercury content? Can someone provide the link to the catinfo.org food guide and I shall save on my phone too. Thank you! :) Oh and I'm moving both of my kitties to canned. No more dry. I'm also hearing high fat can be harmful for pancreatitis situations? My boy doesn't have that, but what is the ideal breakdown for food so I can choose?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  6. Asrael

Asrael Well-Known Member

Hi Sherri- For me the fish is the mercury/PCB's etc.. I do know that Weruva does buy fish that are lower on the food chain and do also test for the mercury levels. As well as use human grade fish- instead of the byproducts, as the cheaper foods would. I know that fish can be very allergenic for some cats as well as on its own or in cheaper foods can be higher in phosphorus- and maybe magnesium? Again a higher quality food like weruva doesn't have the phosphorus/magnesium problem-

I feed it more than I would like- just because he likes it so much- and when we are feeding him 2-3 cans a day its hard to find enough variety for him- he doesn't like beef or pork, and he gets bored with the chicken- though he does get chicken or turkey at least 1/2 of his intake a day. The things we do for our babies:) Our other cat is finishing his last bag of dry and we have been supplementing with the wet- we are hoping he will be happy with the raw food as well- as its cheaper than the weruva.

There may be other reasons not to feed fish- but these are the ones I know of. So much information!

This may be the cat info chart- http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

I am not sure if there is a special one for cell phones- I am probably the last person in Canada without a cell phone !

Sherri likes this.
  7. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hey Sherri,

Here is the link to catinfo.org and here is a link to the food chart.

I wouldn't necessarily take fish entirely out of the diet but I personally don't feed very much of it. There are a few concerns I'm aware of and, yes, mercury intake is one. The other is that they get a preference for fish and won't eat anything else. Genghis will eat most things so I'm lucky and feed her fish about once a week.

Sherri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.