Caninsulin / change to a smaller syringe / the math

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Noah & me (GA), Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to switch from the official Caninsulin syringe to a higher gauge syringe here is the math. For first timers, the higher the number (the gauge) of a syringe the thinner the needle becomes. So a 31 gauge is thinner than a 28 gauge won't look like something meant for an elephant. With a study hand your cat won't even flinch. Without being condescending, here's how to convert the numbers. Our Caninsulin syringes are 1 cc with 40 lines on the barrel so each line ("unit") is 0.025 cc. That's 1 divided by 40. Our 31 gauge Monoject syringes are 3/10 cc with 30 lines so each line is 0.01 cc (1 divided by 30). Example: you need a dose of 4 Caninsulin "units"; 4 times .025 equals 0.1 cc. Each line on the Monoject syringe is .01cc so .1 divided by .01 equals 10. You now need 10 lines on the Monoject syringe. I'm not a great communicator but the math is solid. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT Triple check your math, even squirt from one syringe to the other to make sure. If you have any doubts don't try and please post if you see a mistake.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

There is a conversion table for using U100 syringes with U40 insulin HERE. Doing the math every time could lead to dosing errors. :nailbiting:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.